Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Engines makes a weird sound

18K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  Jamesapplegate23 
#1 ·
So I had a little accident yesterday I already posted that on the crash boom bang thread but I slid out the other night in cold weather going about 10mph and it only slid about 5 feet. But anyhow the bike is making some weird noise it sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine and it sounds like it only makes a noise when I rev the bike. It's not crazy loud but theres definitely a sound there. I'll post a link to the youtube video so everyone can get an idea of what I'm hearing. By the way there is no damage to the engine casing or anything like that just the fairings were damaged.

Thank you

Reactions: Jamesapplegate23
#2 ·
Hard to say from video.... But could be ur cam chain tensioner that is the side that it timing chain and cam gears r on

strength and honor

#4 ·
Cam chain for sure. It either needs a new tensioner or a new chain.

#18 ·
Hey I put on a new oem cct and my bike still makes the same noise. is it possible that I got a bad cct or do you think it's something else?

Thanks

#5 ·
Is that a hard thing to do put a new tensioner in or tighten the chain?

#7 ·
I was just looking at that thread haha. Should I change the belt while I'm at it or Is it not worth it?

#9 ·
Yes sorry I meant chain. Ill call my local dealer when they open tomorrow and hopefully they have the part and ill hopefully get it up and running again. I really appreciate the feedback

#11 ·
Yeah I'll probably just keep my laptop next to me while working on it and do everything step by step to make sure I do it correctly but it doesn't seem too bad from what I'm seeing on that how to thread

#17 ·
Yep that's why I posted up the vid. I figured I'd try to get some input from people who really knew a lot about the bike so I wouldn't have to dig through the whole bike

#20 ·
I mean maybe I could be but that sound from the video I put up is still there after I changed the CCT and it only does it when I rev the bike. At idle it doesn't make that sound.

#22 ·
Yeah I'll upload another video to my youtube channel right now then post it up. The vid I took is right after I put the new CCT on last weekend.

#24 ·
were both vids made with cold start ups?

in the second vid I can't hear the buzzing noise from the cam chain like I could in the first, so the new CCT did something. I can still hear the clutch noise, but if the engine is cold it explains that.

a lot of these noises fade when the engine temp goes up but never fully go away which is why so many people (including myself) think "what's that noise?". there's nothing in those vids that would make me think there are any serious problems, but I'm not standing next to it nor know the history of the bike.

does it still run well? any accelleration issues or difficult gear changes?

honda build very reliable engines so IMO theres a good chance your crash did nothing to hurt it, but it did make you more aware of noises that were probably already there.

I'll start my bike up shortly & see what I can hear & compare your vids again

sorry I can't be more helpful

#25 ·
No you are being very helpful I really appreciate your help. Both of those vids were in fact cold start ups. I haven't ridden the bike because I took all of the plastics off when I brought the bike home and the plastics that hold the headlight assembly in cracked so I guess when it stops snowing I can zip tie the headlights on and take it for a quick spin down the road and see how it is driving it. But it definitely could just be me that is thinking it is making a noise. Also when the bike fell the engine casings didn't even get hit. The bike actually fell on the opposite side of the CCT

#26 ·
definitely take it a spin when you can & get it up to temp. when its cold, the idle is fast, the clutch is loud, the fluids are heating up & moving around, theres lots of different noises that can drive you mad.

I know how crazy these things can make you, sometimes you just have to forget about the noises as best you can (or buy a louder exhaust lol).

when you do get it out, if you can feel the bike is doing things it shouldn't be then check it all again

#27 ·
Yeah I my grandfather is coming over later and he's been a mechanic for his whole life so i'll let him listen to it to get some in person input and let you know what he thinks.

#31 ·
I'm glad you got some piece of mind with it. I started mine the other day, after 2 weeks & it sounded rough, but was fine once it was up to temp. like I said you probably notice the noises more since laying it down.

BTW don't think you wasted your money by replacing your CCT, the older model was $hit, honda uprated that part last year (I think) to stop them popping so quickly. If you hadn't replaced it now you would most likely have had to in the near future anyway

#33 ·
Yeah I didn't think I wasted my money I was actually thinking the same exact thing that I'd have to replace it at some point. Hopefully I can find parts easily and get her back together

#32 ·
CCT for sure, you will probably find that laying the bike over caused it to loose oil pressure, resulting in higher wear on the CCT (one of the last things in the lube oil circuit).

Throw your new one at it and all will be fine.

#35 ·
I need the fairing for the headlights and the blinkers. The third eye broke off the plastic of the headlight assembly so I have to figure out a way to get that back on and in position and I already ordered new bar ends a fairing bolt kit a new windshield and a upper fairing stay bracket cause that snapped also. Otherwise I think that's it.

#37 ·
the bike will always idle high when first started, then settle back down to normal. taking the bike out won't hurt, I run my bike on stands through all the gears to keep things moving, a short ride would have the same effect.

do you mean you don't have a full tank but still get a "full" reading? if the gauge is showing a full reading when your tank is not full then I'd imagine there's maybe a bit of moisture somewhere or the cold is having an effect on the gauges, this will most likely sort its self out once the bike is up to temp

#39 ·
I figured out the whole idling high problem the idle adjustment nut was stuck to the rubber piece and it was just spinning both pieces together and not doing anything so the idle is fine now. I just zip tied the headlights and everything on this morning just to get it out on the road and I road it and lucky it seems to ride just like normal but that fuel gauge is still showing that it's full so i'm going to have to try and find out what that problem is because that's one thing that I HATE having to do is reset my tac and guess how much gas I have left.

#40 ·
Yeah I got it it was just the idle adjuster nut it was stuck to the rubber piece so all I have to do is hold the rubber piece while I spin the nut and the adjustment works otherwise it'll just spin both pieces all at once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.