Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Commuting to work or school on your Bike

8K views 89 replies 59 participants last post by  Rikuno 
#1 ·
Saw a guy on the Interstate today with the cool Carbon backpack. Got to thinking.

For those who use their bike as primary transportation.... Yes some of us don't have cars.

Do you back pack ? Tank Bag ? or just walk around in our boots and gear all day.

What do you guys use to carry your daily essentials... lunch, sneakers, laptop etc?

#48 · (Edited)
TrueVietRR " I once put my gfs birthday cake in my pack, rode it home and it came out fine! Haha""

Your GF's cake turned out fine after being put in a backpack?? That is either one small ass cake secured with food compatibe bungee cords or 'Pics or GTFO!'

Backpack is my liking and also the only type of bag I tried riding with really. The Ogio like bags posted by Eurodriver which mount on to the seat seem useful but have there been any cases of them slipping off the bike? Looks a bit risky.

#50 ·
I use a backpack for short trips and even for longer ones with a light load. Not really convinced it's a good idea to carry a backpack in any case for safety reasons, though it depends on what you've packed and you can also get some backpacks that hold an extra back protector.

If I've got a lot of stuff to carry or am doing a long trip with a decent amount of stuff I use my Kriega Tail bag (US20 and US10).

Wait, just noticed this is for commuting. I never commute on my bike because my parking is not at my building and putting on gear is too much of a pain. It's quicker and cheaper just to use public transportation, plus there's nowhere safe to put bikes where I work. No brainer in Milan (and many other locations).

#53 ·
when i went to school i used a magnetic tank bag(bike was old enough). i did not want to fall on a book. rocked my boots all day(not full race)

now i just use a bungee fishnet on the tail. holds more, but stuff like bottles of oil WILL fall off...take my boots off at my desk.

#54 ·
And anther +1 for the back pack if you go down more to burn through before the skin...

Funny tho when I went down I roled and literally not a single scratching on anything (shoes backpack helmet or jacket) but tire the hell out if my jeans and gloves everything else still looks new as can be.

Chewed my $70 gloves like candy and some palm skin tore my pants ass and wallet to sh**.. (Wallet saved me a**) and had no more skin burn than a baseball slide and that was it luckily.

All going about 55MPH..

#55 ·
Kriega

I have two Kreiga Tail Packs 10l and 20l and i have a 20l kreiga Backpack. They have quite honestly the best packs out there. The tail packs look great on sportbikes and the backpacks are designed for motorcycles. No annoying strap whipping at your back etc.. I recommend their kit highly. I use the R20 to ride to work enough room for a pair of sneakers, shirt, and gym change which is all i need.

http://www.kriega.us/ Check it out...

#64 ·
#67 ·
^^ Nice, but its spelled rookie.

#71 ·
#72 ·
I have been carrying a backpack full of books to high school and college everyday for the past 2 1/2 years. Its so heavy that i can barely pick it up sometimes, but i cant notice it really on the bike. When i hop on, i loosen the straps so that it rests on the seat with me or supported by my tail section. Being small and having all that extra room may help though(145lbs).

#74 ·
Backpack it to school and the hospital for clinicals. Carry my MacBook, iPad sometimes, my radiography positioning notes, some snacks and that's it. Wear my jacket, around school and bring helmet n gloves with me.

#78 ·
Commute to work as long as the low is above freezing and it isn't snowing/raining. I bought the Ogio NoDrag Mach 5 backpack but returned it. It couldn't hold everything I needed to carry. Looked good but there were too many negative aspects about the bag and coupled with a pretty hefty price it just wasn't worth it. Ended up getting an Adidas backpack for hauling laptop, tablet, lunch/drink, clothes for exercising, and a bunch of odds and ends. Planning to get a Kriega US-20 by summer time. Hate wearing backpacks but it was all I could find at the time that would fit my laptop. Riding w/o a backpack is just much more comfortable.

#79 ·
I carry a laptop bag made by axio daily to and from work either in the cage when cold and rainy. It is practically my mobile office in the event that I need to work from home or on the road as my job dictates. It appears small but it carries loads more than you would expect and matches what I had in a larger bag with room to spare.

This is what I carry now:

http://www.axioluggage.com/slingpack.html

You repsol riders might like this:

http://www.axioluggage.com/repsol.html

Their bags are not the cheapest but they are durable and made for riders so are ergonomic and have extra straps to stabilize the backpack so it does not move around when riding. Browse around their site if interested. I got mine off Amazon once I figured out which one would work for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.