Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

is dainese really THAT good?

15K views 75 replies 38 participants last post by  JpakMoto1 
#1 ·
it coming down to the time i need to upgrade my textile jacket to leather since its getting cold, and as baaaaddllyy as i want a dainese alien leather, its hard to justify that 700 dollar price tag, so i was, well am going with a a*s gp plus leather ($400).

But i want the dainese sooo bad, just how much better is this jacket than the a*'s though? Is it really worth the 700 dollar price tag?

Also is there any freakin place on earth where i can get a better deal on the dainese in the event i change my mind, cuz everywhere i look its like 699 or 700 firm.

#2 ·
Yes.

I've had Joe Rocket (crap), Teknic (Ok), Astar (above average) and Dainese (superior).

Go pick up the Dainese New Delmar at Revzilla for $599

Top of the line jacket for the price of their entry level jacket. Get one before the good sizes are gone. I did.

#3 ·
the answer is hard.

dainese is THAT good. theyre really, really nice. super comfy, they just dial in their stuff. requires a certain body type, but we all know that by now.. certain brands have a certain cut to them, generally.. and so on.

but, theyre overpriced. i wouldnt pay retail. i love my dainese 2pc but i got a crazy stupid deal on it, it was a brand new item that was purchased by someone else then returned to cycle gear. it just happens to fit my skinny ass so i got a new suit for damn near half off.

just gotta look around and find a deal. your first suit can be a $800 suit, nothing wrong with that and any major brand is gonna protect you perfectly fine at that price point.

there are only 3 dainese stores in the US and none of them are anywhere near you.. youre probly better off doing your research on sizing then ordering from an online retailer who will hook you up on the first exchange if the size doesnt fit etcetc.

or you can go all the way with it, and just get RST or kushitani, which are probly the best in the world.

#4 ·
just gotta look around and find a deal. your first suit can be a $800 suit, nothing wrong with that and any major brand is gonna protect you perfectly fine at that price point.
yeh i usually buy my stuff from revzilla, and i got my alpinestars textile from them and it was the wrong size and got a free exchange. But they still have the alien at retail, 699.

I was looking at the new delmar they have on sale, but i dont like it. Its that alien jacket, its like im a kid again and i want THAT TOY.

And what you guys are saying is pretty much what everybody is says about dainese, they ARE that good, that makes me want to buy it even more, but damn, 700 dollars, come on man thats alot of scatch, if it was like 550 w free shipping i would be ordering tonight, but were talking almost 1g here on just a jacket. Dammit

#5 ·
From what I've seen dianese doesn't protect any better than premium leather brands like A* in track crashes. Every crash is its own, and are not the same. First crash wore the elbow leather on the dianese suit off, down to the armor. I would imagine the A* suit in the same crash would result the same. That dianese suit has taken 3 track crashes and is still going. The dianese was softer from the beginning, and smelled better. Other than that, quality was on par with both. I love my A* gear, and it fits me perfect. I personally wouldn't spend an extra $300 for looks, smell, or a little bit softer leather.

#6 ·
The dianese was softer from the beginning, and smelled better. Other than that, quality was on par with both. I love my A* gear, and it fits me perfect. I personally wouldn't spend an extra $300 for looks, smell, or a little bit softer leather.
and i love my a*s textile jacket, and all the other a*s gear i have bought, and i was dead set on the gp plus or gp-r leather jacket, until i remember the reason why im buying a leather jacket right now, and that is because i will be using it during the cold days ahead here in NYC for commuting to work, and both the gpr and gpplus are both perforated, so i started to look into non perf leathers, and i ran across the dainese alien and im in love with it or more specific the look. I tried finding the a*s gpplus from 2011 that non perf, but since the '12 version came out, its damn near impossible to find a gpplus non perf.

#8 ·
Yeah, I use heated gear under leather in the cold, or heated gear with textile if it rains. Can always block perfs, but not easily make them when it warms up. Plus stretch material on leather jackets feel like perfs when the weather is cold. Always have to layer with leather anyway for me.

#10 ·
What's not to like about the Delmar?

Color?

It's the flagship jacket. D skin leather and S1 stretch. It's beautiful.

#12 ·
I've got 2 A*s (1 leather - TZ1, 1 textile) and 1 Dainese 2-piece suit (Trickster). Note that the Dainese was about 5 years more modern than the A*s.

Just comparing the jackets, the Dainese was a lot softer from the start and allowed for better movement on the bike so I felt a lot more comfortable. This is mostly due to having more stretch panels. Still, even after years with the TZ1, it still feels stiffer than the Dainese did new, especially the neck area, which really irritates me on the TZ1 even after a ride when I'm not wearing it sometimes. I still use the TZ1 because a non-2-piece is longer and looks more normal as the 2-piece is too short and offers less protection without the pants imo. The leather in both feels like it would hold up equally well in the event that I needed it. In the future, I'd consider both, but buy Dainese if both felt equally good in the shop and even if it was a little more expensive.

I think that Delmar is calling you, OP.

#14 ·
Sincalirider you are right. The zippers are sub par compared to Astar. I prefer the semi locking zippers on my Astar Tech 1R suit over the metal pull tabs on the Dainese.

#15 ·
What's not to like about the Delmar?
there is a couple of things why i would;t get the delmar. First the one they have on clearance is black/white, and im looking for all black jacket. Second, i dont like that plain front look it has, and Third and most important its 599. I mean, for that i can just add another 100 bucks and get that jacket i really want. Another thing they dont have that many sizes available, and i would say im a 56 in dainese, just cuz im a in between lg-xl in A*s textile (a large fits way too tight alone, and a XL fits snug with the front and back protection upgraded) You know, thats another thing, i need to try the jacket out before i buy it, what i was gonna do was, take the drive, or ride, up to revzillas HQ in philly (1 hour and change from where i live), that way i can try it on and get the perfect size for me, all i will be upgrading is the back armor, not the front, and i want to make sure this jacket fits me PERFECT, as it will be my jacket for a long time.

You know this sucks, i should have never put up this thread, i went from deciding from the A*s leather to dainese, to now its GOT to be a dainese, and it GOTS to be the alien.

So, before i take a huge chunk out of my savings account and buy this thing, can anybody, for the love of god, point me in the direction of where i can get my hands on a dainese alien for atleast 50 bucks cheaper, anything, ill even take 10 bucks cheaper, something to soothe my mind when i see that large chunk of money missing from my savings account statement.

#16 ·
So, before i take a huge chunk out of my savings account and buy this thing, can anybody, for the love of god, point me in the direction of where i can get my hands on a dainese alien for atleast 50 bucks cheaper, anything, ill even take 10 bucks cheaper, something to soothe my mind when i see that large chunk of money missing from my savings account statement.
I searched "hello moto" and got this.

Hit me up, I'll make sure you get a good price whatever you get. :shakehand

#18 ·
If you love a certain piece of gear and can buy it, do it.
trunkmonkey

i can buy it, but right now im saving up for a new car since my 96 integra is getting up there as far as mileage, and i have a long commute so i though its time for a new car. I have just about half of the amount im aiming to spend on it (03-05 celica), and it would really set me back a few weeks if not a month on buying that car if i buy this jacket. Thats the problem, if i just had money in savings for the heck of it, i would;t hesitated on making the purchase.

@Jason, i PM'ed you.

#20 ·
I have the New Delmar perforated. I paid almost $900 for it a month or so ago.

I really enjoy it, and feel like it will protect me better than most jackets out there. However being perforated makes it really cold even at 60 degrees. I am looking at other options for the winter.

I get compliments all the time though, and for $600 it is a steal. I did have to pull out the neck part as it limited my ROM when turning my head.

#41 ·
+1

Can't go wrong withe Dainese in terms of protection, quality or style. I've had mine for a few years and it wears in sooooo soft. I get lots of comments about it too - the Italians definitely know how to make a good looking jacket.

Only problem I've had so far is the screws on the shoulder sliders have come loose - if you go for a jacket with those just dab a drop of superglue in each. They're a pain in the @** to try and re-screw.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#26 ·
As much as I like Dainese gear - because of it's feel of quality and comfort. I HATE the end of their sleeves...Where most manufactures have moved onto using neoprene or some other soft material, they continue to use rolled leather at the end (if that).

It's problematic for me because everything else about their jackets fits me perfectly, but when it comes to putting my gauntlet gloves on, it's not comfortable or easy...Being skinny sucks, but I thought Dainese was made for slimmer people...

#30 ·
I didn't like the neoprene cuffs on the mx-1 jacket I had. I felt like it was just another selling point. It didn't feel any more comfortable to me than not having it. I was afraid that over time the cuffs would fray and get fuzzy. Also, the neoprene used on the back of the neck was beginning to separate from the rest of the jacket; the stitching connecting the two materials was beginning to show.

#28 ·
Hey FightingChance, I definitely do agree about the forearms. The trouble for me really is at the cuff-end. It doesn't wrap around my wrist tightly enough to allow the wrist "strap" of my gauntlet gloves to tighten up comfortable. Because of the extra bulkiness, it actually hinders my movement and comfort quite a bit.

I have a Dainese Redline Suit and that's my only gripe with it.

#29 ·
Unfortunately, suit and leather makers make stuff on the big side, because you can always sell to someone that fits in a piece too loosely, but you can't sell to someone that doesn't fit at all.

I like my Rev'It suit but the forearms are built in such a way that only someone with gorilla-like hands and wrists would ever actually fill it out - if I worked out enough to increase my arms muscles to fill out the space, my back and chest would be 2 or 3 sizes too large at that point.

#33 ·
New Delmar here as well, the quality is definitely up there, but I can't say for the other models. I would say their premium is worth it. As soon as you feel the piece of gear in your hands, you'll know that the money was worth it.

That being said...I have Spidi, Held, etc. Dainese is just one of the few premium moto-gear makers. All of the high-end stuff is worth the money and none is really better than the other.

#34 ·
I have a pair of Dianese gloves and they are the biggest pieces of SH!T that I have ever put my hands in. Granted, they are one of the lower models, but they are still garbage. I think around here everyone will say Dianese is the best, as well as RS-Taichi.

Fact of the matter is, that all the manufacturers make multiple models and usually the lower end stuff is crap, and the top of the line stuff is amazing. That's what companies do.

My A*s RC-1 and track pants have served me very well, and will be getting put on street duty and are being replaced by a Tech-1R, that I got from Jason :love6: at an AMAZING deal. I replaced the Dianese loves with Knox Handroids (also from Jason:love:) and I will never wear another brand glove as long as Knox is still making gloves. I also have some SMX-5s, which were ok, but did not offer the protection and comfort that I wanted, but replaced them with Supertech-Rs, again thanks to Jason (he's dreamy :gay:), and am extremely happy.

Talking gear is just like talking tires, religion or politics. Everybody has their opinions, and sometimes even facts to back it up, but it all boils down to what YOU want. If you want a jacket, BUY IT!! Anything else will not satisfy you, and no matter what you will never like it, which will usually lead to a bad review later on when someone asks you about that jacket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.