Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Might Have to Say GoodBye On Tuesday...

31K views 438 replies 78 participants last post by  Bridge_Jumper 
#1 ·
So I got pulled over last week for my license plate being too low, by the California Highway Patrol. They pulled me over and had 3 officer's come in and look at my bike. Had me on the curb everything, searched me, searched the bike. They told me the bike was probably stolen, and they think my VIN # is tampered with. When I purchased the bike, I checked the VIN and the Seller's CA.ID. The name on the title and the VIN # Matched. Didn't see anything fishy to me. I got the bike insured and everything in my name. The registration is paid until September of 2013. So I'm legit as you can get. However, on Tuesday, I have to take my bike to the CHP offices in Redwood City, CA. They told me I have to leave my bike there for a few days while they perform "tests" on it. Well, they really think It's stolen. I don't. What would you guys do? What do you guys think? If it was stolen why the hell wouldn't they just tow it right then and there? Why would they let me ride it home, and around still (I told them this is my ONLY mode of transportation) Also. If the bike was stolen how would I possibly be able to insure a "stolen" VIN #? Any help would be appreciated. Personally I think this is a case of " Young Guy On A Sports Bike Being Harassed"... Any thoughts opinions anything? I'm scared shitless. If they take it, they take a piece of my soul, my transportation and I'm out $4K....Damn man, I hope NONE of you EVER EVER EVER have to go through this heart wrenching ordeal. Thanks guys.

#136 ·
Got you man the positive issue with this thread it's an eye opener for first time buyers to pay attention when shopping for a bike and grab an exp friend when exchanging funds and titles scammers are all over the place :cursin: Also it would be interesting to read the real story about this bike .

Reactions: TRIBAL05BLACK
#137 ·
I was part of nicoclub which is a nissan/infinity forum back when i had my 240vert and they had a a sticky of every detail of what to look for in a vert before buying one. It pretty much was a vert specific checklist, if it passed it was a good find if anything failed pass it up keep lookin... Not sayin we can do thatvwith a bike here just thought it was a good idea for that application.

#139 ·
Red
That is a brilliant idea man will make a sticky of such thread in the stolen RR forum for others to read and follow it to avoid being scammed . We also had a database thread of all the details for forum members bikes that got Stolen I am not sure if such data base is still active or not

#142 · (Edited)
It's my pleasure man stay positive cause you never know i am sure there is a blessing in disguise with this whole situation and like i stated good Karma will come rolling upon you so keep the faith

#143 ·
It's my pleasure man stay positive cause you never know i am sure there is a blessing in disguise with this whole situation and like i stated good Karan will come rolling upon you so keep the faith

I believe so, I just gotta keep my eyes open and be open to anything and everything. You were such a great help so I appreciate it!

Reactions: Moeman
#144 ·
Hey Tribal, I wish you the best of luck with your bike. You seem like a good kid/guy (don't know your age. lol) that was dealt an unfortunate bad hand. Stay positive and cooperative like you are and everything will work out. As a door closes, another will open for you.

I had a similar situation myself when I bought my Aprilia RSV Mille a few years ago. Seemed like a great deal, clean title and bike. Was great until I took it to an Aprilia dealer to get service and he told me the engine number didn't match the VIN. Bike wasn't stolen but the previous owner totaled the bike and rebuilt it with a new frame and parts. Although it was a great bike, I just never really fell in love knowing that it was a Frankinbike and that I had been lied too. Ever since I had Carfaxed and checked the sh*t out of every bike I bought including my RR and Z1000. You can never be too careful with the crooks and crazies that are out there these days.

Again good luck and most of all: You live and you learn.

#149 ·
Thanks man! and Im 26 so compared to some people I'm still "Kid" lol. Thanks for the support man appreciate it. Hopefully!

But CHP said if it comes back clean they are gonna give me a BLue VIN ( a new CHP provided) VIN Number. Maybe I can sell it then I dunno. I feel its cursed haha. But I might just keep it I dunno. I want an R6 but I love my CBR and Id go for that before an R6

#146 ·
Good for you, ride it till your whole body cramps up. Don't sit on here all night worrying. Hope you get your money back and get your r6, you don't want that bike with a shady vin#, be hard to sell. Have you contacted the seller throughout this whole thing. He'd be pretty stupid to alter a vin# and sell it as a legit bike under his name. Did you meet him at his house or at least have his contact info. Hopefully you can recover your losses with the cops threatening a fraud charge of some sort. Sounds like California has laws in place to protect consumers from scum like this. Best of luck, look forward to hearing a positive outcome.

#147 ·
CHP told me not to contact him to tip him off on anything. so I haven't just in case cause if he is a thief and i tip him off it means he gets off to do it again. I had him bring the bike to me cause I was scared to ride my first day on the freeway and since I didn't even have a helmet yet

#150 · (Edited)
I got a feeling that it was a salvage bike and the BAS bought it back from the insurance company and sold it before it got reported as salvage . BAS was lucky and was not caught right away cause tribal had misplaced the title and did not register the bike in time but after 4 month it's a different ball game . Tribal let us know what the CHP decision will be if you end up having options stop by and let us know the details before you make a final decision all of us here might have a different perspective than yours as being outside the box makes us slightly wiser

#151 ·
I will def keep you posted along with everyone else here. I hope I get to keep the bike or something I dunno!

#156 ·
Hey op its time u **** can this bike get a new bike... #1 tribal flame #2 its hot like not cool hot lol amd #3 dudes ride girl bike and drive girl cars. Ur bike cant be a him, not without people thinkin that wanna touch dicks pic wasnt a joke. Example my street bike is valerie my 240 was nadia my big ass truck is berta... Just tryin to help is all

#159 ·
MoeMan I read this, and I thought about my situation!

Yes and no. If someone did everything right, then no, but in this business that is rarely the case.

For example, lets say you had a bike that had a midyear update. Lets say it didn't change frames/motors, but the bodywork and other bits got a mild update. I'll use the 04 to 05 CBR600RR as an example. The bike is basically the same, but the subframe is different, tail section, seats, passenger pegs, swingarm, finish on the wheels, forks/brakes, brake caliper colors, etc. The frame and motor are basically identical and you can build an 06 600RR on the frame of the 03 600RR if you want to. There is almost no legitimate reason in the world an 03/04 600RR would have every single update of the 05/06 model. Many bikes are like this and this is just one example. Also something to look for are the jammer nuts that are for the motor mounts through the frame They look sort of like a crown. For one reason or another most idiots don't have the right tools to remove these and they use a hammer and a screwdriver or punch. If they are banged up or missing then the motor has been removed/reinstalled by someone who did not have the proper tools. Generally a bad sign.

#160 ·
Before mine an Kaos ride. Probably the 2nd to last picture dot net will get of my tribal 05 :(

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#162 ·
LULZ thats hilarious! His helmet is beast though!

#165 ·
If they bike has been tampered with AND it is in fact stolen. You will lose the bike and still owe any monies on it (if you do).

Your only recourse would be to take it up with the seller of the stolen goods. Good luck and shitty situation.

#173 ·
if it is stolen, like moeman said, ur helping getting scumbag his judgment day, would be nice if you could get in a punch or 2 :crackup:... and hopefully they get some money from his a$$ that you paid for the bike, not sure how that would work... and if not stolen, ride on and don't worry about the r6 for now, this def. is a great bike :cruising:

#175 ·
hope it works out seriously man... my bike is my baby... i would feel like she was molested and creamed all over her face if the cops touched her... hope u get a new bike either way so u dont have to deal with any sloppy seconds and pig aids. GL. :spank:

#177 ·
Goodbye dude :( yeah they said " we will contact you and you will get your parts back" meaning my exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#180 ·
that doesn't sound like taking a cpl/few days to figure all out bro???? WTF... they are still going to investigate and try to catch up with the a-hole if they find out it's stolen????

#179 ·
Followed from post 1, hope it goes ok, but think we all know whats going to happen.

Just for reference if others are reading or stumble across this via google, I have attached my (obviously edited) VIN stamp and plate (no sticker on this 2010). Just so you can see what one should look like.

Cheers :)

Electronics Technology Electronic device

#181 ·
You did the right thing Tribal hopefully by giving her up the BAS will be getting his BABA sitter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.