Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Might Have to Say GoodBye On Tuesday...

31K views 438 replies 78 participants last post by  Bridge_Jumper 
#1 ·
So I got pulled over last week for my license plate being too low, by the California Highway Patrol. They pulled me over and had 3 officer's come in and look at my bike. Had me on the curb everything, searched me, searched the bike. They told me the bike was probably stolen, and they think my VIN # is tampered with. When I purchased the bike, I checked the VIN and the Seller's CA.ID. The name on the title and the VIN # Matched. Didn't see anything fishy to me. I got the bike insured and everything in my name. The registration is paid until September of 2013. So I'm legit as you can get. However, on Tuesday, I have to take my bike to the CHP offices in Redwood City, CA. They told me I have to leave my bike there for a few days while they perform "tests" on it. Well, they really think It's stolen. I don't. What would you guys do? What do you guys think? If it was stolen why the hell wouldn't they just tow it right then and there? Why would they let me ride it home, and around still (I told them this is my ONLY mode of transportation) Also. If the bike was stolen how would I possibly be able to insure a "stolen" VIN #? Any help would be appreciated. Personally I think this is a case of " Young Guy On A Sports Bike Being Harassed"... Any thoughts opinions anything? I'm scared shitless. If they take it, they take a piece of my soul, my transportation and I'm out $4K....Damn man, I hope NONE of you EVER EVER EVER have to go through this heart wrenching ordeal. Thanks guys.

#183 ·
I'll keep you guys all posted for sure! And yeah they are going after the dude who did this to me. He deserves it the crooked ****!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#184 ·
#187 ·
#189 ·
so will your insurance cover your money or get u a new bike? or are u just out of luck now ?

thats sucks. worked so hard for something and they just take. leaving u nothing

#197 · (Edited)
This is very true, insurance might say it was not the bike that they thought they where covering tho. Or that it was an "existing" issue lol.

I just don't get it. Are they going to give the bike to the insurance company? or to the original owner (who might have been paid out by insurance which means insurance will get it)? or sell it at auction? Why not just go afterthe guy that sold it to you and let you keep it?

This country is very weird.

#191 ·
Sorry for your loss Tribal!! Hopefullly they catch the fools and you get some justice!

Reactions: TRIBAL05BLACK
#192 ·
Speechless man this sucks, sorry your going through this sucks.

#193 ·
Yeah it does . But hopefully the dude gets caught up and punished severely . Also hope that my situation shows/helps others out with any concerns or anything to help them get through it. Also what to look for

Reactions: crashkhanman
#195 ·
Not your fault. But I got some funds together. I should be on a bike before December haha . Can't keep a good man down for long!

#199 ·
Yeah . Screw my insurance company lol I'm canceling them and getting the rest of my years payment to them

#203 ·
Toropop I meant like screw having insurance on a bike I no longer have. What could they do for me ? All I was going to do was cancel my policy so I dunno man

#204 ·
Toropop I meant like screw having insurance on a bike I no longer have. What could they do for me ? All I was going to do was cancel my policy so I dunno man

Pay you out for it? They let you insurance a bike that was stolen......... I don't know you're total issue but depends on what "vin" is on the bike and what "vin" they have on file for the bike that they insured for you.

You might run into issues bc you never got the bike registered, but is weird b/c how did you have insurance on a bike that was not registered to you?

Idk man, just dont cut all your losses, see if some good can come.

#205 ·
#208 ·
Call an insurance lawyer bro and get his advice there is free lawyer services out there that would advise you for free if the insurance company did their job you would have not been in this mess

#210 ·
The reason I mentioned a lawyer cause I do not the company that he done business with will give him the right answers or even are good enough at this point they were never on his side and now of course they won't ever be on his side or give him straight answers Tribal can always call another insurance company and ask questions got to make sure to get the correct answers

#212 ·
OK, so please answer a couple questions if you would.

1. Is the VIN that is stamped so poorly coming back as stolen?
2. Are they considering it stolen since a VIN was stamped that didn't belong to it so the fake VIN actually looked good?

I have never had to show a bike to State Farm to insure it, I just call them with the VIN and we go from there. If the VIN came back good but didn't actually bellong to the back they wouldn't know. If they saw that crappy stamping job then insured it then shame on them.

#215 ·
The VIN that is stamped on poorly. Is missing the M in it, so it doesn't even match. The VIN i looked at when i bought the bike is the one on the left of the triple tree. That one MATCHED the Title. However, that VIN is the one coming back as stolen. The fake VIN I don't even believe will run since it is missing a letter in it. Also when I brought it into the CHP office they did a brief run over. The engine didn't have an Engine number, where it should at the center of the swingarm. There was either nothing there or he said " Looks scrubbed" so, I'm fairly positive I have a Stolen FrankenBike. Well, I don't have it anymore. But yeah.

#216 ·
and X, No one came out to investigate the bike or anything. I insured the bike from work while on lunch, with nothing not even the title in front of me. (at least I dont think so, why would I have the title at work?)

#218 ·
Hey man not your fault . Lesson learned though. Maybe I can get cashed out by my insurance company I'm not too sure I'll have to look into it

#219 ·
I am thinking out loud here so bare with me what would be the insurance co response if Tribal calls the insurance co and tell them the CHP confiscated his bike because its a stolen bike will they pay up if the bike has full coverage ?

#238 ·
Unfortunately not :\ ...they will place blame on the selling party.

#220 ·
I don't have full coverage though :( didn't think it necessary on a used vehicle . I'm a fucktard I know

#221 · (Edited)
It's ok man cause they could have still denied the claim based on the bike not being titled to you or registered to you even though they are the ones that insured it Tribal do me a favor bro I am so dam curious find answers for me to the following questions

In the state of CA can you insure a vehicle or a motorcycle that is not registered to you ?
Do they have to run vin numbers to make sure the vehicle is clean before insuring it ?
Do you have to submit proof of ownership before insuring a bike ?

#222 ·
Damn bro,

so I sent you some R6s around us,

you pay gas and Ill take my truck, if it cant be ridden back,

damn damn damn!!!!!!!

get the HD light and the exhaust, just make copies of your receipts and take the original and the copy, show copy first,

damn bro!!!!!!

we will get you back riding,

#223 ·
Thanks Chris! Yeah that track R6 looked good just wondering how much a new headlight fixture would cost. Also saw a 06 for 4300 I got about 2300 right now . I could prolly do that in 4 months lol but the bike might be gone. Also tax returns are coming up so yeah haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.