Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

The new 2013 cbr600rr..... Is awful looking!!

106K views 300 replies 142 participants last post by  M03RR 
#1 · (Edited)
I feel pretty let down... after 6 years of production of an absolutely beautiful bike... This is Honda replacement! Even if it's technically better, and I'm sure that it is, I'm not sure I'd ever be caught riding it..

Now that Audi has purchased Ducati, Audi will have quality and reliability influence over future bikes, and it may be time to jump ship...

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cbr600rr.aspx Here's the Honda Website link

Thoughts?

:director: WHAT IS THIS, HONDA?!

See less See more
#285 ·
Here we go again.

I still dislike the looks of the new one. Unlike the Ducati 999 I don't think it's styling is ahead of the times. Whatever. VinhMym is right. You aren't looking at it when you're riding it and underneath the skins it's 99.99999% the same bike as the 2012. Opinions on looks aside I do have some complaints about the 2013-14 being a hasty update job on looks.
1. it is the exact same bike underneath. Exact same. So much that they didn't even do a new subframe to work with the new tail. It's the same subframe with the inset cast contours for the old tail and tank wrap panels. The just plopped the new tail over it.
2. The contours of some of the bodywork don't line up as well as the old one. Where the tank cover and upper fairing meet in the cockpit area don't line up. The old one is like one continuous piece that seperates.

That's it. Those are my only complaints. I do have to say I like the mid & lower cowls much, much better. Not the weird layered panels with the strange "horns" like the 2007-2012 mids. The new ones remind me of a cross between the 2006 600RR and the RC30's lowers. Nice. Bet it's easier to take off & put back on too.

#286 ·
"The central ram-air intake has been redesigned and now works in conjunction with the headlights, which lead air from the outside, in. This helps equalize duct pressure within the inlet tract and works in conjunction with revised ECU settings to smooth out throttle response and boost mid-range torque."

"Those funky new looks serve a purpose. Aerodynamic drag is reduced 6.5 percent,"

" forks are now Showa Big Pistons (BPF), in this case 41mm items. BPFs result lower internal pressures, creating smoother, more responsive fork action." - Ride Apart

just to list a few of the 99.99999% similarities... that and everyone loves the wheels!

#289 ·
"The central ram-air intake has been redesigned and now works in conjunction with the headlights, which lead air from the outside, in. This helps equalize duct pressure within the inlet tract and works in conjunction with revised ECU settings to smooth out throttle response and boost mid-range torque."
That's some serious tech PR BS. Not the first time Honda or other brands have shoveled us some negligible or non existent technical benefit to explain their styling cues to sell a new not so improved bike. It's like on the 2007-12 model where they explained the layered body panels & those odd "horns" of the mid panel leading edge caused by that gap between the upper & lower fairing. What did they say? Oh, it allowed lower pressure of air under the nose to aid in side to side transitions. Really? How come we've never seen any GP bikes with such fairing features before or since? None of the other manufacturers have followed suit either. If it was really a benefit it would have carried over to other bikes & others would copy it & they wouldn't have dropped the feature for the new bike but incorporated it. Same goes for the new nose/headlight combo. I'm sure it works but doubt it improves anything appreciably. if you look at Moto2 bikes which are basically CBR600RR's optimized to the last technical detail possible around that engine none of them utilize that bulbous truck like front face. Those bikes have a much more traditional shark like profile snout. They gave the bike a face lift to look new & retuned it for more midrange in street tune.

"Those funky new looks serve a purpose. Aerodynamic drag is reduced 6.5 percent,"
And I'll bet 100% of that 6.5% of reduced drag is in going back to smoother slab sided fairing cowls instead of the plastic origami mess of the 2007-12 design. Aerodynamics is not a mystery science. Again look to the Moto2 bikes for functional cues as that's one of the few areas the builders have some free play to gain an advantage. Unsurprisingly there's a lot of uniformity to the various models of bikes. Shark nosed upper fairings with smooth shaped intakes, slab sided fairing cowls with minimal angles or features besides the necessary ducts to pull heat away from the bike. The new CBR follows that cue but the truck face of it is not part of the reduction in drag.

" forks are now Showa Big Pistons (BPF), in this case 41mm items. BPFs result lower internal pressures, creating smoother, more responsive fork action." - Ride Apart
Maybe an improvement but can you tell on the street at street pace? At the track? And for the racers out there are you swapping to these or getting better performance from standard style with Penske, K-tech, or Ohlins internals?

just to list a few of the 99.99999% similarities... that and everyone loves the wheels!
I'll be the .000001% that's not crazy about the new wheels. I'm not in love with the looks of the old hollow cast three spoke design but they were some of the best and lightest OEM wheels around and they weren't trying to look like something they're not. I love me some forged aluminum machined Y spokes but these are just the same style hollow cast wheels that to me look like fake Marchesinis. IMO Yamaha & Triumph have much better looking OEM wheels that aren't trying to look like something they're not.

Again, the new 600rr is a fantastic bike. It's pretty much the old bike which is still a fantastic bike. If you like the looks of it & you bought one, great! I just don't think it's Honda's most inspired moment.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#287 ·
Not to mention they got rid if those hideous engine side covers from 09-12 & that taillight from 07-12. Who in the hell looked @ that & thought that was a good idea? That was my only complaint on my 07.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#288 ·
I actually hated the older ones, so much so that it stopped me from ever buying one. I got the cbr600rr only because of the design changes. I love Honda bikes but just couldn't bring myself to waste money on something I didn't love. Once I saw the "new" fronts I knew I had to have it. The 1000rr is the best looking bike I think, but the 600rr is a really close second. People have different opinions and tastes in design.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#291 ·
I am a convert all over sudden. I hated the 2013s but I think I might be picking up a Repsol on Thursday or Friday. I absolutely loved my white 07 but I can't find anything decent for sale that is not tore up in that year range round these parts. Funny thing is I hate it in the HRC colors, don't mind it in black, like it in red but love it in repsol. It will be my first new bike if I pull it off.

#293 ·
Thanks Shinfo. It is the right and wrong thing to do at this moment in my life but you don't get a second round at this. I think I can always make amends to the sin I am about to commit hahaha! She likes the looks too so that might save me some a bit.

WTF is insurance on the Repsol noticeably higher? FRAK!

#297 ·
Rode my repsol home last night and wow it is so smooth. I have never had so many cagers give me the thumbs up in my life. This paint scheme is def a head turner. Just like you shin for my wife loves the looks. Totally surprised her when she opened the garage and saw it. Shocked but still approving. She did comment that those young girls will be all over me now haha.

For those that don't like the looks I just wish you could ride it. Very smooth. ... no regrets with my purchase.

#299 ·
I feel pretty let down... after 6 years of production of an absolutely beautiful bike... This is Honda replacement! Even if it's technically better, and I'm sure that it is, I'm not sure I'd ever be caught riding it..

Now that Audi has purchased Ducati, Audi will have quality and reliability influence over future bikes, and it may be time to jump ship...

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cbr600rr.aspx Here's the Honda Website link

Thoughts?

WHAT IS THIS, HONDA?!
In my opinion 05/06 for the win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.