Military guys: TMO moving your bike? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > The Militia

The Militia Get to da choppa!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
buechelr
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Military guys: TMO moving your bike?

To all my military brothers, how do you move your bike when you PCS? Do you just load it up in the truck and let TMO move it? Will they do a good job or do I need to worry about it getting jacked up? I PCS in just a little over a month and Im not sure what to do. I have dirt bike as well but Im not too worried about it because its a dirt bike and it gets dropped and crashed all the time. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
buechelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
.b0link
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If you ship it in HHG, they are gonna crate it. All in all I havent heard TOO many horror stories from the sport bike guys.

Just make sure your insurance is current and/or that your Personal Property coverage will cover it in transit.

Stuff can happen and unfortunately its out of our control. Can't stress out about it too much cause PCS'ing is bad enough. I am sure you will be fine however!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
.b0link
World Superbike Racer

And also take some current pictures of everything (date stamped) to document the condition prior to shipping in case you find a mysterious scratch or dent or whatever when it gets delivered to you down the road. The military is pretty good about holding companies accountable for any damage to service members belongings.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
crash277
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
And also take some current pictures of everything (date stamped) to document the condition prior to shipping in case you find a mysterious scratch or dent or whatever when it gets delivered to you down the road. The military is pretty good about holding companies accountable for any damage to service members belongings.

i know thats what us canadian military guys do when we get posted.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Sgt Danimal
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
If you ship it in HHG, they are gonna crate it. All in all I havent heard TOO many horror stories from the sport bike guys.

Just make sure your insurance is current and/or that your Personal Property coverage will cover it in transit.

Stuff can happen and unfortunately its out of our control. Can't stress out about it too much cause PCS'ing is bad enough. I am sure you will be fine however!

He's right on. I've shipped motorcycles to and from Korea twice and no issues. You will ship it in household goods. They will put it in its own crate.

You have to let TMO know you are shipping a motorcycle so the movers know when they come to pack up your stuff. Make sure your insurance is current. Is this an overseas move or conus? If conus there's nothing else you need to do. If going overseas there's a couple other things to do if your bike is on lien.
Sgt Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
buechelr
AMA Supersport Racer

Just a CONUS move from WA to TX (and the bike is paid off and in my name). Just curious which insurance would cover it in the case that something happens? Could I claim it on my renters insurance if they move it and it gets messed up or can I only claim it on the bike insurance? I dont have full on it right now (just liability) and I was planning to figure that out once I got to TX because I wasnt sure what the insurance laws were down there. Thanks for the tip though, I will let TMO know.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Sgt Danimal
AMA Supersport Racer

If it's just minor damage it'll be covered by the movers, but before they'll take responsibility of it, you and they will go over the bike "white glove" style and document every scratch and dent. They don't want you going after them after they deliver the bike. So as someone said, take pics before they take it and make sure you get a copy of the paper they document the condition of the bike.

You'll have to double check with TMO, but I think they'll cover up to 10k on any single item.

Oh, and you'll have to empty the gas or they will not take it.
Sgt Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
timk
SRO

I have to share my personal story on a HHG move long ago (2000). I dropped off my 98 F3 at the shipper (Matson) and took pictures with them to document condition prior to shipping. They did not have a crate ready so I couldn't watch them load it.

Fast forward to arrival in Hawaii about 50 days later. I go to the shipping port to pick it up. The braddahs pull off the nails on the crate door and....the bike is laying on it's side under a bunch of empty cardboard boxes with a board nailed to the bottom of the crate behind the rear wheel as a....chock? What a disaster. Left side fairings rashed up, broken mirror, etc, and the packing material choice also scratched up the right side fairings.

After about 10 minutes of discussion with the shipping office manager, they said get a quote and we will take care of it. That, at least, happened quickly. All new fairings, etc to the tune of about $2500 bucks within about 3 weeks.

Bottom line, watch them load it if you can. Hope your experience turns out better than mine.

Tim
STT 'A' #721
www.sportbiketracktime.com
www.disalvospeedacademy.com
timk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
Airborne_Guy
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I built my own crate since I was doing a full DTY

Pretty easy

http://twitter.com/Front_Street
@Front_Street
My Photography Attempts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srtechness View Post
From the look of your dome.. You kinda look Mexican...
Airborne_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
sean.landon
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you are not PCSing over seas the TMO will not transport any vehicles including recreation vehicles. It is you responsibility to move it. TMO/ the designated moving company will only come pack up your household goods. My advice to you would be to do a partial Dity that way you can make a little money for yourself. Just rent a uhaul and put your bike back there.
sean.landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
buechelr
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.landon View Post
If you are not PCSing over seas the TMO will not transport any vehicles including recreation vehicles. It is you responsibility to move it. TMO/ the designated moving company will only come pack up your household goods. My advice to you would be to do a partial Dity that way you can make a little money for yourself. Just rent a uhaul and put your bike back there.
You sure they wont move them? I cant do a uhaul because I am already driving my personal vehicle down there (and selling the other one) and my wife has obligations up here, she was just going to fly down like a week later. I guess I could load both the bikes in the truck but I didnt want to have them in the back for whole drive down especially at night while Im at the hotels.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
tab112302
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.landon View Post
A motorcycle is considered part of HHG and they will move it. When you go online to set up your move you have to tell them you want them to move your motorcycle. It specifically asks about motorcycles and boats. It doesn't matter where you are PCS'ing to (CONUS or OCONUS). I doubt they have changed their policy on motorcycles as it has been that way my entire time in the military and was that way a few months ago when I PCS'ed.

I just put my bike in the bed of my truck because I couldn't wait the 6 months my stuff was going to be in storage.
tab112302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
Raziel41
AMA Supersport Racer

When I moved from Camp Lejeune down to Pensacola I let TMO move my bike. I watched then as they strapped my bike on to the side of the moving truck (after they verified that it was empty of fluids) and was scared to death. It arrived at the other end, on the same truck, strapped to the same spot. I am assuming that I was lucky as all get out on that one! and will probably never use them again.
Raziel41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
.b0link
World Superbike Racer

@ tab

Unless I misunderstood you that is not true. The policy depends on the sofa agreement with the host country. I know first hand that Spain's policy only allows one POV (mc or car) to be imported and registered and because of that if bringing a motorcycle you must ship it through the VPC and NOT HHG. If you ship an MC through HHG you will not be allowed to register it in Spain. I know several ppl whose bikes HAVE to sit in their garage unused.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
tab112302
Super Moderator

Quote:
@ tab

Unless I misunderstood you that is not true. The policy depends on the sofa agreement with the host country. I know first hand that Spain's policy only allows one POV (mc or car) to be imported and registered and because of that if bringing a motorcycle you must ship it through the VPC and NOT HHG. If you ship an MC through HHG you will not be allowed to register it in Spain. I know several ppl whose bikes HAVE to sit in their garage unused.
I didn't know that. All I have ever been told was to move it yourself or you can have the government do it. When I asked about the government moving it they said it could only be done as HHG. I asked around to different people and got the same answer from all. So that is new to me. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
MidnightSpeed
AMA Supersport Racer

Have you figured out what you're doing with the bike yet? It's almost been a month since you made your first post, so I was interested in your final decision. When I PCS'd, I rented a U-Haul truck and an Auto Transport trailer. Stuffed my bike in the back of the truck, an put our Jeep on the trailer.

I have had friends have TMO move their stuff, and they shipped the bikes in the HHG container. They had to be drained of all fluids and the battery disconnected.
MidnightSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:24 AM   #17
djacksoncbr600
Testicular Fortitude

When I PCS'ed to Italy I had to load it into the crate they brought with it. Once I got it to Italy it was missing the upper fairings and my tail section. The moving company that moved it from Jacksonville to Italy isn't being used by the Navy anymore. But that was 4 years ago. I don't have a bike anymore. The navy paid to have them replaced then I wrecked the bike a week later.

2007- Wrecked
2008 Orange- DD/track
2 Bro slip on
PCIII
Flush mounts
FE
Puig smoke wind screen
ASV Shorties Black
Vortex rear sets
To come:
Brake lines
Rotors
Clip-ons
HID
and a few other things.
djacksoncbr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:49 AM   #18
Handyman
AMA Supersport Racer

Talk to the people who are in charge of house hold goods...They will tell you what they will and will not move and what they are responsible for as far as damages. number the boxes, have an inventory of what is in each box (keep this for yourself), take pics of anything that can be damaged(tables, chairs, pic frames etc) and anything that is expensive... I have heard of horror stories of Navy movers damaging and "losing" items. Get a Uhaul and put your bike in it and what ever you can in there, get a car dolly and tow your vehicle behind it.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #19
tab112302
Super Moderator

The movers lost a box during my PCS here to FL. It just happened to be the box with all of my military certificates and awards. Lets just say they paid a high price for losing that box, but money can't replace that stuff.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:46 AM   #20
djacksoncbr600
Testicular Fortitude

I moved my bike as part of my hhg's to italy. Most of the time the navy will move the bike as part of it. I've never moved a car though.

2007- Wrecked
2008 Orange- DD/track
2 Bro slip on
PCIII
Flush mounts
FE
Puig smoke wind screen
ASV Shorties Black
Vortex rear sets
To come:
Brake lines
Rotors