Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Best Tires for Street

13K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  PhotoAl 
#1 ·
I know this is a personal preference topic and very heated, but I'm looking for strictly street use tires that will not see rain or the track. But i would still like some grip that wont be too unforgiving over bumps on the street. (this might be a suspension tune issue, im not that experienced).

anyways, did research and looking for experiences. initially thought Q2's from the 2010 tire shootout, also debating metzler m5's (i know theyre semi track tires) and pirelli's.

first new set of tires so im really unsure, tires on bike now are pilots im pretty sure, but got them really worn out so cant judge them.

#4 ·
if that's the case I'd personally go with the Q2's. I have used them on both street and track. They hold well on the street. Good all around tire. I also like the bridgestone BattleAx. I started on those and was pleased....

As far as bumps you can adjust your suspension and pre-load but to be honest you're on a sportbike. Comfort is not like you would find on touring or fancy smancy harley..

#5 · (Edited)
Q2s seem to be the most liked hypersport tire.
Pilot Road3s are popular with the commuting crowd.

I ride Power Pures on the street. I'm a Michelin fan boy though.

#33 ·
:+1:

MOST..riders will not utilize the traction of most tires anyway, so it come down to longevity and pricing. For all the traction you get from Q2's, it comes at the expense of longevity.

Just something to consider OP.

I didn't care much for the Metzler M5's, turn in felt a bit slow, however slippage was predictable.

Very happy with my Pirelli Rosso ii's.

Also, like someone else mentioned..it's not gonna matter much if you don't put the effort into setting up your suspension properly for your weight and the tire. Spend some time learning how to read tire wear, it would be in your best interest.

#11 ·
The bridgestone S20 tires are the tires to have now, cheaper than Q2 but it outshines it in all areas, wet/dry grip, feedback, longevity.

#12 ·
I've got Metzeler Sportec M5s on my bike and love them. Sportec is marketed to give a good balance between daily riding and more spirited trips.

I bought it used with them and was really surprised how quickly it felt good to ride again after 5 years off. I can't pretend to be all that experienced, but my last bike was an '06, lowered 1" with Battlax tires. New one felt so much better despite my time off - I think the fact that it's stock height had something to do with that, but also the tires. I'll definitely buy another pair when the time comes to change them, which isn't long off.

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/metzeler-sportec-m5-review-89457.html

#17 ·
Truth!!

I went thru 2 sets, track them, road then hard and your them.
+8k miles on them. Love em and will be getting them again . I'm not sure which tire will ever change me . But until now , it's roads 3 all the way. And I'll be getting knobby tires TKC too.

#21 · (Edited)
I've used Q2s for ages, over the past 2 months I've used the S20s and haven't been happy with them. Profile not as steep as Q2s and had the tyres spin up mid corner at times in the dry on 22*C - 26*C days. The issue with the S20 is the rear which don't match the fronts in grip characteristics, I found the fronts were very similar to Q2s with the exception of profile. The rears didn't last longer than the Q2s but I was purposely locking the rear and backing it into corner entries to wear them out quicker. All in all I wanted to get rid of the S20s ASAP.

I only used the S20s on my road bike but have read other people's experiences that they're not too flash at the track.

Last week I loaded a set of Q2s back on the bike, I feel so much more confident now and the steep profile has helped the bike regain the feeling of agility!

Oh and my experiences are similar with the reviewer's summary (front / rear mis-matched) in the Fast Bike's r/v earlier this year. Will be removing the link after a few days . . . http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25092045/Fas...est 2012.pdf

#23 ·
Bridgestone S20

my experiences are similar with the reviewer's summary (front / rear mis-matched) in the Fast Bike's r/v earlier this year.
I think the Bridgestone S20s are dependent on individual riding style. For me they work very well on both the road and track and I am extremely pleased with them. Interestingly whilst the review states that the front and rear felt mismatched the same magazine had previously tested them at the Bridgestone launch at Portimão. At the time they stated them to be a huge success and a vast improvement over the BT-003. My point is that tyre choice is hugely subjective and what works for one person may not work for another.

#24 ·
Q2 for me. I found Q2 to be very confident even in wet. I tracked it, rode it all weather condition. 6K on it and it was just slightly worn. Never upset me In or out of any corners.

Case is so different on my mates' 10 R6 with BT016, its my daily ride now til my new bike is delivered. But dude, this thing is scary, doesnt warm up as fast. Rear goes out on me countless times e.g. under harder braking, i just couldnt be confident at all riding his, though i believe it probably has sth to do with the factory suspension setting is more track oriented.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#26 · (Edited)
Im assuming all of these tires have a suggested psi or suspension tune?
the guy i got my bike from had his rear set to around 41, i didnt know until i checked it and almost crapped my pants, is that not extremely high lol

so the tires were actually the 2ct's, and i had no issues with them, but they had a serious middle wear from commute riding, any aggressive cornering was super squishy because of this, and i had little confidence in turns, other than that i had no slips or close calls

#29 ·
Keep in mind the Michelin tires weren't part of the magazine test sine the PP's are being replaced.

As with anything else you see tested in a magazine, personal usage, demands, budget, and riding style will dictate which is the best tire.

Personally, since I don't track and I ride in all weather except freezing ice/snow, the Road3 is my tire of choice. I loved my Super Corsas, too, but honestly, they were overkill for me, since I never came close to the limits of them.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com App

#42 ·
Anyone know what the low temperature performance of the OEM Qualifiers is like? Have a new 2012 CBR and had the rear spin up on me today - only a couple of miles out and it was 46 degrees F but was not leaned over that far and was not on it that hard either. Love the PR2's and 3's I ran on my FZ6. A little less power but they do really stick, particularly in the wet. The FZ6 has a pretty new rear and am contemplating swapping it with the OEM tire after today. The PR3 lasts a long time and grips very well in all conditions, wet or dry hot or cold. PR2/PR3 rear life has been 9 to 11 thousand miles. I ride about 700 miles a month so just about the time it get really warm the OEM tires will be worn out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.