Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Previous owner overtightened oil filter

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  mran556 
#1 · (Edited)
And this is the result:

Had to put a screwdriver through the older filter just to torque it off. Why do people do this? >.<

Channel-locks couldn't even get it off.

See less See more
#5 ·
Oh man, that would be brutal. I'd cry.

They're on there really tight from the factory, a lot of people torque them to the specs listed in the manual. I don't torque mine super tight but you definitely wouldn't get it off without a filter wrench, or the screwdriver method you used.
I have a filter wrench, even that wasn't enough to get it off. Whoever put it on tightened the hell out of it, way past manual specs. There's no point in over-tightening anyway, it'll bottom out against the metal and you wont crush the o-ring any tighter.

#6 · (Edited)
Amazing how many times this same subject pops up. It's kinda like:
What's the top speed, Best slip-on, 180 or 190 rear tire, best windscreen, etc. Well ok, maybe not as bad but it keeps popping up.

It probably wasn't over tightened, it was more likely torqued to spec or the first filter change lol

A lot of the time when people can't get the filter off it's not because the filter was too tight, it's because they're not using a good stout filter wrench.
When tightened to spec a lot of the crappy $3-$10 oil filter wrenches that everybody carries just slip on the filter because they flex too much or are too lose of a fit.

I tighten mine to Honda spec every time.
I started out with the cheap wrenches (meaning I tried a few) and ran into the same problem.
Now I have the Honda oil filter wrench that nobody wants to purchase because it's too expensive and I haven't had a problem since. Go figure
Honda 07AAA-PLCA100

#7 ·
Amazing how many times this same subject pops up. It's kinda like:
What's the top speed, Best slip-on, 180 or 190 rear tire, best windscreen, etc. Well ok, maybe not as bad but it keeps popping up.

It probably wasn't over tightened, it was more likely torqued to spec or the first filter change lol

A lot of the time when people can't get the filter off it's not because the filter was too tight, it's because they're not using a good stout filter wrench.
When tightened to spec a lot of the crappy $3-$10 oil filter wrenches that everybody carries just slip on the filter because they flex too much or are too lose of a fit.

I tighten mine to Honda spec every time.
I started out with the cheap wrenches (meaning I tried a few) and ran into the same problem.
Now I have the Honda oil filter wrench that nobody wants to purchase because it's too expensive and I haven't had a problem since. Go figure
And do you always only buy Honda genuine parts? ;P

I work with seals literally all day at work, hand tight would even be enough to seal the o-ring, anything beyond that you are doing so it wont vibrate off. It doesn't need to be so tight that a $9 filter wrench from Canadian Tire can't get it off.

#22 ·
A good set of sticky gloves and strong hands of steel.... I had to use some channel locks the first time I changed mine though lol.

I have heard good things about this style from the Diesel truck community and plan on grabbing one with a wide range to work on everything I have.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403213296&sr=8-1&keywords=oil+filter+wrench[/ame]

#23 ·
good channel locks also work in a pinch

honda put them on very tight from the factory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.