Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Might Have to Say GoodBye On Tuesday...

31K views 438 replies 78 participants last post by  Bridge_Jumper 
#1 ·
So I got pulled over last week for my license plate being too low, by the California Highway Patrol. They pulled me over and had 3 officer's come in and look at my bike. Had me on the curb everything, searched me, searched the bike. They told me the bike was probably stolen, and they think my VIN # is tampered with. When I purchased the bike, I checked the VIN and the Seller's CA.ID. The name on the title and the VIN # Matched. Didn't see anything fishy to me. I got the bike insured and everything in my name. The registration is paid until September of 2013. So I'm legit as you can get. However, on Tuesday, I have to take my bike to the CHP offices in Redwood City, CA. They told me I have to leave my bike there for a few days while they perform "tests" on it. Well, they really think It's stolen. I don't. What would you guys do? What do you guys think? If it was stolen why the hell wouldn't they just tow it right then and there? Why would they let me ride it home, and around still (I told them this is my ONLY mode of transportation) Also. If the bike was stolen how would I possibly be able to insure a "stolen" VIN #? Any help would be appreciated. Personally I think this is a case of " Young Guy On A Sports Bike Being Harassed"... Any thoughts opinions anything? I'm scared shitless. If they take it, they take a piece of my soul, my transportation and I'm out $4K....Damn man, I hope NONE of you EVER EVER EVER have to go through this heart wrenching ordeal. Thanks guys.

#32 ·
The way this vin plate looks is the main reason why you as a buyer when buying a used bike have to compare the numbers off the plate with the title if the seller have it in his hand
and as long as they match then and only then you should make the deal

#33 ·
The name vin and plate # all matched . Thats why I'm pissed off and scared . I think they are just trying to get another rider off the road

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#35 ·
Did you have the title with you when you got pulled over, did they ask for it or seen it ? If not then two reasons made them suspicious the way the vin plate looks and the registration is in some one else's name but if the answers to my questions are yes then only one issue made them assume the bike was stolen and that is the registration

#34 ·
There is no" it might be stolen" if they ran the plate and it came back as stolen then they would have not let you ride off.. Their system would have flagged it...Your a$$ would have been in cuffs and they would have called the owner to come verify it was theirs.. Something sounds fishy to me..

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#36 ·
I got three questions about l the bike in general when you bought the bike did you match the numbers vin and title , did you ask the seller why the vin plate looked like that , is the title a clean title ?

#41 · (Edited)
Bingo that was the main reason I asked those 3 questions specially the clean title one with a frame looking like that a salvage title is a probability I hope not

#40 ·
I just saw the picture of the Vin...Holy crap... I see why they want to take a closer look. I'm with X I would have not bought that bike... it does look like the VIN was tampered with. The VIN plate shoould be black with the year of the bike and HONDA on it... that VIN plate worries me...I hope everything goes well and you get to keep the bike when they're done..

#44 ·
The plate can only be transferred if its yours ie was bought by you , registered by you on a bike you owned if it belonged to the seller then no it can not be used by you once you register the bike a new plate is issued if you sell that bike you can always go back to that same plate and reuse it for another bike to save money simply because you own that plate

#45 ·
Yeah the title isn't a salvage it doesn't say salvage anywhere on it. I'm probably fucked. When I saw the VIN when I bought the bike I must have had stars in my eyes or something all I checked was that it matched . Should of looked harder. Like I said I'm probably fucked. I am also not a thief or a crook . If I had ANY thought or idea that it was stolen I'd have told the seller to **** off .

#47 ·
Thanks moe!!! I'm at work back from lunch so I will next chance I get

#54 ·
just talked a po in orange county ish area. he says stolen and tampered vehicles are very common in cali. things come from canada and mexico and vin'd with something else. ya ur vin might match your registration but it doesnt mean its legit. not to be a prick but iv never seen a vin tag look that fake ever. and insurance companies dont care if its legit or not they care about their premiums. per the officer i know they should tear into it and find other numbers. i mean i hope its all ok but definately enjoy the next day on it for sure... he also said after seein that vin hed have had it towed and you in cuffs until it was all sorted out.

#56 ·
try to get the engine number and call Honda North America and have them cross reference that engine number with the frame (VIN) it was assigned to. I know Suzuki does that for sure. If the engine comes assigned to that VIN then you have very good support for your side.

#57 · (Edited)
Get the bike registered in your name. In Florida you have to register a vehicle in your name (no matter how much longer the plates are good for) within like 10 days.. Cali is probably the same..

Is the VIN stamp on the frame (between the forks) look tampered with at all?

DO NOT leave your bike with them at all. Something I learned carrying a pilot license, never surrender anything to authorities. Once you willingly give possession to them, good luck getting it back and God knows what they're going to do with it once they have posession of it.

If you do take it in on Tuesday ask them:
1) what they plan to do with the bike
2) Why they cannot complete the search in one day
3) if they want to hold it for processing or whatever BS reason, make an appointment so you can wait for it.

DO NOT surrender your keys for any reason man! This sounds fishy as ****, and with the registration mishap you're pretty much setting yourself up for a headache. I hope you learn from this and do more research on laws next time you purchase a vehicle.. ALWAYS immediately title and register the vehicle in your name.

#60 ·
DO NOT leave your bike with them at all. Something I learned carrying a pilot license, never surrender anything to authorities. Once you willingly give possession to them, good luck getting it back and God knows what they're going to do with it once they have posession of it.

If you do take it in on Tuesday ask them:
1) what they plan to do with the bike
2) Why they cannot complete the search in one day
3) if they want to hold it for processing or whatever BS reason, make an appointment so you can wait for it.

DO NOT surrender your keys for any reason man! This sounds fishy as ****, and with the registration mishap you're pretty much setting yourself up for a headache. I hope you learn from this and do more research on laws next time you purchase a vehicle.. ALWAYS immediately title and register the vehicle in your name.
Lol, he doesn't have a choice. Per California state law, if we suspect the bike is stolen, we can impound it with or without the keys. If it was his/your bike that was stolen, wouldn't you want the authorities to get it back? -orange co

#59 ·
I hope others can learn from my mistakes too. I mean ****, I **** up just like everyone else. But it seems to me, I get fucked over hardest for my mistakes. I got a lot of **** going on at work, and then now this. Just a bad bad time. Life ******* sucks right now really does. I hate it. I don't ******* deserve this. It's ********. I made a mistake. I never stole the bike (in case anyone thinks I did)

#62 · (Edited)
Tribal
Take a deep breath and relax man no one is accusing you of anything after knowing what I know now I would say do not register this bike yet because if its impounded you will be loosing all the fees you paid hand over copies of all the documents you have to the local police & pass all the information you have on the seller to the local police and let them do their check up hopefully the bike will come back clean but it does not look good at this point I am sorry bro

Reactions: TRIBAL05BLACK
#64 ·
Look at the bright side you might think I am crazy to mention these words but you know what there is a bright side you did not get arrested or thrown in jail even though you did nothing wrong except buy a motorcycle that was stolen and they could have charged you with possession of stolen property so do not get discouraged yet it could have been worse

Reactions: TRIBAL05BLACK
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.