Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

CBR600RRA Build Thread

288K views 2K replies 134 participants last post by  CBR Time 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Purchased new from Honda in late 2011 the bike arrived in HRC colours with no more than the pre-delivery inspection miles on the clock in completely standard trim with no aftermarket parts fitted. Since then the CBR has had a raft of different modifications made to it; some being simply aesthetic and but most for outright performance on track. The intent has always been to build the CBR to UK Superstock specification for both road and track use. In its current form and specification the CBR is pretty much race ready and all the major performance parts have now been added.

Road:

Track:

To navigate through the many posts simply click on a modification listed below to access the relevant page within the build thread. The majority of modifications are listed and there is a wealth of other information and pictures on how the CBR has evolved. Hopefully, this thread will prove useful and interesting to some and I will continue to update the thread in the future.

Modification List:

Engine and Exhaust
Transmission
Suspension
Brakes
Bodywork
Misc.

See less See more
#339 ·
What, only the 1000-1200cc class can have quick shifters? Baaaa that's just wrong.

Could you retrofit parts from a different year as long as it came stock?
1000rr Slipper clutch?

#341 · (Edited)
R&G Engine Mounts - CBR600RRA Build Thread

After a helpful conversation with R&G Racing they have very kindly sent me some engine mounts for use with my existing crash protectors. As a result the courier dropped them off this morning.

The reason for them will become evident soon...

#345 · (Edited)
I thought the design looked familiar but he mentioned "For use with my existing crash protectors"???
Maybe he means just the bungs?

He already has R&G no cuts so I wouldn't think so.

Ahh gotta stop dirtying up the mans thread lol

#346 ·
Ry has R&G cut sliders. You can just use the existing bungs which i did when i changed my 09 lowers to 07/08.

Raj tbh, i trust R&G over most companies except i would say GB racing who are on par. So i would think that their non-cut ones have been designed accordingly. Also the metal bracket in Ry's picture is EXTREMELY sturdy and solid, its one solid bit of metal.

Ry's got some great additions, always interested to see what pops up next

#355 ·
Modifications

Track fairings here in the UK are generally the same price for the 07-08 and 09-12 model years if you know where to look. These aren't track fairings though as they are for road use and more for aesthetic reasons than anything else. My next post will make things clear once I've uploaded the photographs.

#358 · (Edited)
Carbon Fibre Lower Fairings - CBR600RRA Build Thread

Having previously owned a 2007 CBR600RR I have always liked the lower fairings which expose the engine casings and gear shift assembly. According to the Honda marketing at the time the extra fairings on the 09 model onwards were to improve aerodynamic efficiency at high speeds and whilst I do like them I have always preferred the previous models fairings.

After a bit of research and seeing a few examples on this forum I thought I would fit a set of 07/08 lower fairings to my CBR. I only considered gloss black fairings as the current fairings as part of my OEM HRC/Tricolour paint scheme are black and I have always sought to retain a 'stock' look whilst making any aesthetic changes. New OEM replacements are, as always, very expensive so after a bit of consideration I have sourced a carbon fibre set from Zero Limits. Ironically, given the fact that they are made from carbon fibre, they worked out a lot cheaper.

The quality and finish is extremely good as was the negotiated asking price so I'm rather happy. The only modification required to fit the fairings are to purchase an OEM lower fairing stay for the left-hand side of the bike (which attaches just below the alternator cover) and removing those brackets no longer required. Other than that here are a couple of photos prior to fitting them on the CBR.

#371 ·
Having previously owned a 2007 CBR600RR I have always liked the lower fairings which expose the engine casings and gear shift assembly. According to the Honda marketing at the time the extra fairings on the 09 model onwards were to improve aerodynamic efficiency at high speeds and whilst I do like them I have always preferred the previous models fairings.

After a bit of research and seeing a few examples on this forum I thought I would fit a set of 07/08 lower fairings to my CBR. I only considered gloss black fairings as the current fairings as part of my OEM HRC/Tricolour paint scheme are black and I have always sought to retain a 'stock' look whilst making any aesthetic changes. New OEM replacements are, as always, very expensive so after a bit of consideration I have sourced a carbon fibre set from Zero Limits. Ironically, given the fact that they are made from carbon fibre, they worked out a lot cheaper.

The quality and finish is extremely good as was the negotiated asking price so I'm rather happy. The only modification required to fit the fairings are to purchase an OEM lower fairing stay for the left-hand side of the bike (which attaches just below the alternator cover) and removing those brackets no longer required. Other than that here are a couple of photos prior to fitting them on the CBR.

HI,,,Just to point out your statement about 07/08...- 09/12 lower fairings....im not being funny but the 09/12 extra bit isnt for the aerodynamics...but to purely hide the ugly ABS system that goes behind that area

#367 ·
Carbon Fibre Lower Fairings

Thanks. I will let you know if I find any noticeable difference after the first trackday of the year. I'm sure there will be as Honda would not have added them if they found there was no aerodynamic benefit to them even if only marginal. They were most likely added at the request of the World Supersport race teams asking for more top speed and for FIM homologation purposes they were then fitted to the production version. I will probably only notice an increase in wind noise to be honest.

#362 ·
Ry
Fancy looking mate you know me I am a CF whore so nothing but :five: from me on that upgrade mout them and post pictures asap

#369 ·
Hey Ryan, just wondering how those Rizoma Proguards feel? Does the amount of vibration increase or decrease of is it the same? I ride street, mostly twisties on the weekends, but have to get through heavy traffic to get out of the city and thought these might be useful when splitting traffic (a necessity here in Milan or the bike behind you will be on the horn and you will be waiting forever in traffic). I'm considering them, but don't want extra vibration from the bars, especially on longer rides.

#370 ·
Rizoma Proguard

I haven't ridden the CBR since I installed it but to be honest I don't think there will be a vibration issue through the bars. When you install it you are required to remove the inner handlebar weight, however, the Rizoma Adapter you replace it with is a very similar weight. Combined with the Proguard bar end they weigh pretty much the same as the OEM parts you have removed. I can't foresee any vibration issue and I'm sure there will not be one. Once the new riding season starts I will post up if I experience any problems.

#377 ·
Carbon Fibre Lower Fairings

The statement below was taken directly from Honda Europe marketing for the release of the 2009 CBR600RR and refers to the additional fairings:

"For 2009, subtle but significant changes have been made to the fairing with a new undercowl, more precise sculpting and new air vents added to create a more effective airflow at medium and high speeds. The effect of this is to enhance machine stability, especially in longer, high-speed corners."

But I do agree they are also in response to the need to cover the C-ABS unit on those models equipped with it. Regardless of the information above I still prefer the previous models lower fairings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.