Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

CBR600RRA Build Thread

288K views 2K replies 134 participants last post by  CBR Time 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Purchased new from Honda in late 2011 the bike arrived in HRC colours with no more than the pre-delivery inspection miles on the clock in completely standard trim with no aftermarket parts fitted. Since then the CBR has had a raft of different modifications made to it; some being simply aesthetic and but most for outright performance on track. The intent has always been to build the CBR to UK Superstock specification for both road and track use. In its current form and specification the CBR is pretty much race ready and all the major performance parts have now been added.

Road:

Track:

To navigate through the many posts simply click on a modification listed below to access the relevant page within the build thread. The majority of modifications are listed and there is a wealth of other information and pictures on how the CBR has evolved. Hopefully, this thread will prove useful and interesting to some and I will continue to update the thread in the future.

Modification List:

Engine and Exhaust
Transmission
Suspension
Brakes
Bodywork
Misc.

See less See more
#378 ·
Carbon Fibre Lower Fairings

After a bit of a delay due to work commitments I have finally managed to fit my new lower fairings and I'm very pleased with the result. They are not as flexible as the OEM panels that they replace, which is to be expected, but overall the fit is very good. Combined with the Akrapovic side panels they seem to blend in nicely. In my opinion I do not think they appear obtrusive but rather subtly compliment the OEM HRC/Tricolour paint scheme and match the other carbon parts on the CBR well. What is also nice is that they expose the GB Racing Engine Covers and HM Quickshifter and gives the CBR more of a racing look. I will post up a few photos shortly.

#380 · (Edited)
Carbon Fibre Middle Fairing Inserts - CBR600RRA Build Thread

Another carbon fibre part for the CBR arrived whilst I have been away. This time a set of middle fairing inserts to finish of the carbon fibre additions to the bike for the time being. This also is the last modification for this off-season. I had originally ordered these before the lower fairings but for one reason or another they have only just arrived. The quality and finish is very good.

#381 ·
Carbon Fibre Middle Fairing Inserts

After a very cold couple of hours i have also fitted my carbon fibre middle fairing inserts today. In order to replace the OEM plastic inserts I had to remove the middle and upper fairings. After a bit of time here is the finished result fitted off the bike.

The fit and finish is very good and more importantly the weave of the carbon fibre is identical to the lower fairings and also matches that of the Akrapovic and Honda Racing parts already installed on the CBR. All in all thats it for the carbon fibre parts for the time being as now the start of the new season is approaching the focus shifts to track time and generally getting out to ride.

#383 · (Edited)
Update - CBR600RRA Build Thread

Here is the first modification list of 2013:

• Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Chain Guard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Exhaust Guard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Front Mudguard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Heel Guards
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Rear Mudguard
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Side Panels
  • Akrapovic Titanium Slip-on
  • ASV C5 Brake/Clutch Levers
  • Brembo SC Road/Track Brake Pads
  • Bridgestone S20
  • Carbon Fibre Lower Fairings
  • Carbon Fibre Middle Fairing Inserts
  • Datatag
  • Dynojet Mapping (110.5bhp/45.6Nm)
  • Dynojet O2 Eliminator
  • Dynojet Power Commander V
  • GB Racing Engine Covers
  • Gilles AXB Chain Adjusters
  • Gilles FX Rearsets
  • Healtech GIPRO DS Gear Indicator
  • Hel Performance Front/Rear Braided Brake Lines
  • HM RL Quickshifter
  • Honda Racing Carbon Fuel Cap Cover
  • Honda Racing Carbon Fuel Tank Trim
  • Honda Racing Carbon Meter Cover
  • Honda Racing Carbon Rear Cowl Trim
  • Honda Racing Carbon Tank Pad
  • Honda Racing Carbon Top Yoke Cover
  • Honda Racing OEM Seat Cowl
  • Honda Racing Wheel Stripes
  • HRC Fast Action Throttle & Cables
  • HRC Oil Filler Cap
  • HRC Oil Sump Bolt
  • HRC Rear Brake Reservoir
  • K&N Performance Air Filter
  • K&N Performance Oil Filter
  • Öhlins 30mm Front Fork Cartridge Kit
  • Öhlins 0.9 Front Fork Springs
  • Öhlins TTX Mk II Rear Shock
  • Puig Clear Double Bubble Screen
  • R&G Aero Crash Protectors
  • R&G Carbon Chain Guard
  • R&G Cotton Reels
  • R&G Engine Mounts
  • R&G FE
  • R&G Fork Protectors
  • R&G Frame Inserts
  • Renthal Hard Anodised Front/Rear Sprockets
  • Renthal Road Race Grips (120mm Medium Compound)
  • Rizoma Proguard
  • Stompgrips
  • Tsubaki Chain
  • Watsen Design Flushmount Indicators

I should be collecting the Öhlins TTX Mk II Rear Shock tomorrow from FTR Suspension.

#384 ·
RY
Yawzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the new CF additions are simply Brilliant this build ain't over yet good luck stopping others have tried before you and failed

#386 · (Edited)
Photographs - CBR600RRA Build Thread

Here are a couple of photos of the CBR600RR in its present state.

The only thing that remains to be done before the start of the new season is to collect my Öhlins TTX Mk II rear shock and then fit the new suspension front and rear.

#412 ·
Here are a couple of photos of the CBR600RR in its present state.

The only thing that remains to be done before the start of the new season is to collect my Öhlins TTX Mk II rear shock and then fit the new suspension front and rear.
What's all that white stuff on the ground? Is dirt white in the UK?

#391 ·
agree with what everyone had said, sensational piece of kit

#394 ·
Re: CBR600RR-A Modification Thread

Looks just beautiful Ry, I think it looks better with the new fairings, exposing the GB covers in the process. Definitely looks like a meaner track bike.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#395 ·
Modifications

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

What's next? Track time, tyres, knee sliders and fuel. Most of all I want to take advantage of the changes made to the CBR over the off-season which means getting out and riding it. Nothing significant is now planned but I have a few ideas for the end of 2013 that I haven't been able to afford this year as the Öhlins Suspension was a fairly substantial investment. I have no doubt as the new season progresses that a few small additions may appear on the CBR though...

#396 · (Edited)
Öhlins TTX Mk II Rear Shock - CBR600RRA Build Thread

After a dozen or so trackdays this season I decided it was time to upgrade the rear suspension and now seemed like a good a time to do it. Earlier during the winter the CBR was treated to an Öhlins 30mm Front Fork Cartridge Kit and Springs so sorting out the rear end was the next logical step. An Öhlins TTX Mk II rear shock is the second and final big purchase for the bike during this off-season. The standard OEM shock is fine for everyday use and the odd trackday but compared to a well set-up aftermarket rear shock the differences are huge.

I ordered the Öhlins TTX Mk II on 13 Dec 12 from FTR Suspension and after a bit of a wait due to a slight production issue at the Öhlins factory and the festive period it has now arrived from Sweden. I have ordered it with a 0.9 spring rate so I can best set it to my weight and riding style. Once I have fitted it I will be back over to FTR to work through set-up options ready for the new season.

The TTX looks fantastic but what I'm most pleased with is the level of adjustability that it offers and now I can really fine tune the suspension for track use. All adjustments for rebound and compression are made at the top of the rear shock making it very quick and easy to use. The new suspension, both front and rear, will also benefit the CBR on the road as I can simply soften things off when required for a more plush ride.

I had a couple of options with the rear suspension but ultimately I wanted to match the front and rear with the same brand equipment and I was also swayed by the fact that you see Öhlins kit in pretty much every race paddock. I'm also rather partial to that gold colour! This is the first time I've used Öhlins Suspension having previously only ever used K-Tech products when I used to race so I can't wait to get everything installed and start riding. All in all I'm happy with the purchase and given that I don't intend to part with this bike for quite some time, if ever, in my opinion it's a sound investment over standard.

#399 ·
Oh and Ry, looking forward to all the little additions coming this year - have fun with that shock! Awaiting pics of installed product ;)
Bike's looking amazing as always!

#400 ·
Carbon Fibre Lower Fairings

The reason for the additional fairings on the 2009 CBR600RR onwards is in post no. 382. I prefer the previous model's lower fairings as in my opinion they look a lot better. In this case I take form over function.

#402 ·
Dainese Knee Sliders

I get a good deal on Dainese knee sliders (like those pictured above and elsewhere on my track photos) and have a few sets stocked up already for the new season. I have used Wiz sliders before but prefer the Dainese ones as they seem to last a lot longer. The other benefit is they match my leathers!

#407 ·
Carbon Fibre

Thanks. The carbon fibre additions have worked really well with the OEM HRC paint scheme. In my opinion everything seems to blend together well and yet still retain a 'stock' look. All in all I'm really pleased with the aesthetics of the CBR now.

#405 ·
The Shock just sitting there in these pictures look comfy enough I know you can not wait till winter is done and dusted which does not look look like it will be any time soon watching football today both games in London the snow was coming down hard i am sure it was freezing cold playing in such conditions but i bet it was fun as well stay warm mate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.