Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2005 CBR600RR - Track Build

46K views 249 replies 33 participants last post by  mckain87 
#1 ·
I've been riding street for two seasons now and finally decided to get a dedicated track bike.
I've always been a fan of the CBR600RR, it was actually my first bike of choice until I came across the 750 I currently own.

After months of searching, I came across a deal that was too good to be pass on, picked up the same week:

The bike was very close to stock with the exception of Armour Bodies bodywork, Galfer SS lines and an Ohlins piston kit.
The previous owner gave me a receipt and apparently there's a Vortex Racing stay, but I think it's OEM, so I'm not sure.

Anyways, I really wasn't digging the colour so the next day I stripped the body work off and sent it for paint...

While the bodywork was off the bike, I ordered some track goodies...

-Full Yoshimura RS-5 Exhaust
-Vortex Rearsets
-Driven Sprockets with DID ERV3 Chain and Probolt sprocket nuts
-TechSpecs
-Canyon Dancer II and some heavy duty straps

That was the first batch any ways...
(more to come)

See less See more
#95 ·
Thanks man!
How for in the build are you?

Upload your pictures to an image hosting website (photobucket, imageshack, flickr, etc.) and simply copy the direct link and use the "insert image" button and paste the link in the box.

I'm super excited to get this bike on the track and see how much my riding sucks! lol

#107 ·
So, I was supposed to be doing my first track day today and while I was bleeding the air from the coolant -> water/water wetter I noticed the idle was a little bouncy.

I tried adjusting it and like an idiot I kept spinning the adjuster cable until it came off the bike. The RPM's dropped to 800-900 and as I tried to blip the throttle, the bike died.

I already know what I have to do to put the cable back but is there a simpler way? Tricks?
I have to send it to my buddy's because half the bike needs to come apart, I can take things apart, I just can't put them back. lol

#108 ·
I wouldn't mess with that after you get it back together. Also, did you check to see if the throttle cables are tight?

Another thing when you're bleeding the air out of the cooling system: After it comes up to temp and the level seems stable, turn it off and see if any air reveals itself. Add more fluid, rinse and repeat until the level stays the same with the bike on or off.

#110 ·
I saw you posting and I was JUST about to ask how is this beast?

I redid mine this winter as well after seeing your thread. Thanks for making me spend all that $$$. :crackup:

Regardless, I'm very happy I did. I fell in love with this bike again, it's a beast! I can't wait to put on my newest parts: Galfer Wave rotors! :rocker:

Oh and I'm leaving for the track in one hour. Sorry mate.

#117 ·
Just saw this post so I figured I'd type it since I have the time.

Checked the valves (25K first time checking them but they were all in spec)
New plugs
New throttle cable
PAIR mod
New air filter
Refresh suspension (forks w/ penske valves and penske triple clicker shock)
Custom map at the Dyno w/ Arata slip-on (it's so smooooth now)
Pirelli Supercorsa's SC1 front SC2 rear (ate those up already, on my second set decided to get Trackday pro slicks)
New pads to go with Galfer front and rear wave rotors
New aftermarket levers
Fresh fluids all around
A bunch of stickers that DEFINITELY made me faster

I also lost 30lbs over the winter, so I could fit into my new-to-me suit. Which is awesome and lets me move around the bike much easier. Oh and I grew a set of balls somewhere between September (last trackday of 2012) that I did horrible in and May (first trackday of 2013).... Now I'm running solid mid-pack expert group instead of mid-pack intermediate. No idea how that happened but I'm happy none the less, my wallet; not so much. :crackup:

I have 6 more trackdays planned for the year. We'll see how it goes. My buddies who race are trying to peer pressure me into going racing as I was running similar pace to some of the novice riders. My answer: "I'm not sure I can afford racing AND trackdays. I'm already having a hard time afford tires for one of the two." :crackup:

As for getting the knee down, it's slowing you down. :poke:That's why I don't drag knee, ever.:crackup:

#115 · (Edited)
Finally took the bike to the track today.
I had no idea track riding was so exhausting, nevertheless I had a blast.

Seeing as how I never rode the bike before today, I got used it quite quick and by the 3rd session I was dragging knee, no problem.
It was my first time dragging knee today and it was a little freaky the first couple of times it happened, then I got used to it and embraced it! :)

It's really easy to flick around, I felt really comfortable on it and I'm glad I picked this bike up when I did.
Can't wait for my next track day!!

#118 ·
30 lbs you say? What's your secret? lol... It feels like I'm gaining weight! :(
That's a nice list of work man, I did everything I can think of since I bought the bike.

Riding the track really humbles you, I was following a couple of youngsters (13 and 15) and learned a lot from them.
I wasn't going in trying to be a superstar and I think that helped me.

The only pics I have right now are of my tires and knee pucks. lol...
I can understand how knee dragging would actually slow you down, but it was one of my goals for this year. lol...

I'm not looking to break sound barrier just yet, I'm working on a couple of simple things, body position and throttle control. Also rev matching is key, I keep forgetting that I don't have a slipper clutch.
I barely used my brakes at all, I was on/off the gas pretty much the entire day.
I still have plenty to learn.

Just freaking excited!

My next mod will be a gear indicator, it was tricky trying to remember what gear I'm in.
But I assume that takes some practice.

#122 ·
30 lbs you say? What's your secret? lol... It feels like I'm gaining weight! :( - I added in the other post.
That's a nice list of work man, I did everything I can think of since I bought the bike. - Thanks but most of it was just TLC.

Riding the track really humbles you, I was following a couple of youngsters (13 and 15) and learned a lot from them.
I wasn't going in trying to be a superstar and I think that helped me. - There is a kid(Jake) here who started riding the track when he turned 14, kid is a beast now at age 16! Those kids have no fear and it's eye opening to watch them carry those corner speeds especially on a 125cc two stroke!

The only pics I have right now are of my tires and knee pucks. lol...
I can understand how knee dragging would actually slow you down, but it was one of my goals for this year. lol... - ROFLMAO!!! I guess you didn't get it, I'm 5'4".... I'm too short to drag knee. :drunk::crackup:

I'm not looking to break sound barrier just yet, I'm working on a couple of simple things, body position and throttle control. - Those are a few GREAT things to work on. Personally, I would much rather see someone getting the lines of the track down and being consistent instead of seeing them having awesome body position only to be on the wrong place of the turn. Once you get the lines down consistently for an entire day. Next day out, work on body position. Next day work on throttle control (practice the ratchet technique). Next day, work trying to be consistent and putting together all of the things for an entire session. Progression is key but everyone learns at a different rate. Took me 3 years and 25-30 trackdays to get to where I'm at now, who knows it may only take you 1 day like Jake when he was 14.

Also rev matching is key, I keep forgetting that I don't have a slipper clutch. - You don't need it, unless it came with the bike. IMO, it's nice to have if you have the money but downshift properly aka be smooth letting the clutch out and you'll be fine. Blipping the throttle is great for the street but being smooth and slowly feeding the clutch lever out will give you great feedback on what your bike is doing. You'll know if you're doing it wrong, part of the learning process. What fun is riding a bike if the bike is doing ALL the work? LOL
I barely used my brakes at all, I was on/off the gas pretty much the entire day. - Are you in a higher gear when you can be in a much lower gear when going into some of the slower turns? Do you know the difference between entry corners vs exit corners?

I still have plenty to learn.
- We all do. I learn something new every time I'm at/on the track. Even if it's just watching someone else do exactly what I do, just from a different perspective.

Just freaking excited!

My next mod will be a gear indicator, it was tricky trying to remember what gear I'm in.
But I assume that takes some practice. - Nonsense, pay attention to the bike and what it's telling you. LISTEN to it, rather than looking down at the dash all the time. I don't use a gear indicator but I always know what gear I'm in with the sound of the engine/exhaust. Be one with the bike. LOL
Hope this helps... Glad you're liking the bike. :cruising:

All you gotta do is eat right, control portions and cardio to lose weight!

Hell, you don't even necessarily need to eat right to lose weight, but you gotta work out like a maniac like Dannie Riel.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
:+1:In my case, it was simply making better food choices. I went from eating junk food aka eating out all the time to eating lots of hummus, veggies, yogurt, oatmeal, lean meats, etc. I also went to the gym, but I did literally mostly cardio and abs to get 'lean/cut'. I cared more about how I felt physically/mentally than about the number of pounds. It feels great to be fit and the increased stamina definitely helps out on the track.

#123 ·
I barely used my brakes at all, I was on/off the gas pretty much the entire day. - Are you in a higher gear when you can be in a much lower gear when going into some of the slower turns? Do you know the difference between entry corners vs exit corners?
Please explain. I did catch myself being in a higher gear than I ought to be, so I downshift and get going.

#124 · (Edited)
Okay first and foremost, you ALWAYS want to get as many things done while you're upright, especially making sure you're in the proper gear.

Entry corner - coming in fast and exiting slow aka chicanes or another turn.
Exit corner - coming in slow and exiting fast aka sacrificing your entry to get maximum exit. Exit corners almost always lead to some sort of a straight(long or short) it doesn't matter as long as it's not another turn.

Still with me on this? Does that make sense?

I'll edit this post further into other aspects as long as you get what I'm trying to say. It's easier to explain in person or rather show you.

EDIT -

Not the same track that you and I ride on but the concept still applies.

Once you figure out what type of a corner you're dealing with and being at the correct spot of that corner you can figure out what gear you need to be in, when you need to start braking, how hard you should be braking, when you need to get back on the gas and how much acceleration do you need out of that turn. It's a domino effect, it all starts at knowing the track and it's lines. Learn them, yes plural as there is more than one line through every corner and each line depends on what you are doing. For now, it's best not to be overly confused, although I may have done that already but I can't stress enough that learning the 'proper' line and having that as your base to build off of is key.

#126 ·
Watch some of the ridesmart video's... Take everything you hear/read with a grain of salt. Not every specific thing applies to everyone, but remember it's catered to work for MOST people.

EDIT - I'll type more when I'm at work. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll respond to them either here or a PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.