Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Might Have to Say GoodBye On Tuesday...

31K views 438 replies 78 participants last post by  Bridge_Jumper 
#1 ·
So I got pulled over last week for my license plate being too low, by the California Highway Patrol. They pulled me over and had 3 officer's come in and look at my bike. Had me on the curb everything, searched me, searched the bike. They told me the bike was probably stolen, and they think my VIN # is tampered with. When I purchased the bike, I checked the VIN and the Seller's CA.ID. The name on the title and the VIN # Matched. Didn't see anything fishy to me. I got the bike insured and everything in my name. The registration is paid until September of 2013. So I'm legit as you can get. However, on Tuesday, I have to take my bike to the CHP offices in Redwood City, CA. They told me I have to leave my bike there for a few days while they perform "tests" on it. Well, they really think It's stolen. I don't. What would you guys do? What do you guys think? If it was stolen why the hell wouldn't they just tow it right then and there? Why would they let me ride it home, and around still (I told them this is my ONLY mode of transportation) Also. If the bike was stolen how would I possibly be able to insure a "stolen" VIN #? Any help would be appreciated. Personally I think this is a case of " Young Guy On A Sports Bike Being Harassed"... Any thoughts opinions anything? I'm scared shitless. If they take it, they take a piece of my soul, my transportation and I'm out $4K....Damn man, I hope NONE of you EVER EVER EVER have to go through this heart wrenching ordeal. Thanks guys.

#5 ·
Did you get the bike registered in your name? If everything went through the DMV, I don't see how they could have missed it being stolen!
Maybe try consulting a lawyer. I understand you may not have the cash to hire one, but you may be able to get some free advise. Or find one that rides and he might take your case pro bono! You could even try getting help from your insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
The title is in my name I didn't have to get it registered yet since the registration is good till sept of next year. I have title and yes I insured it. When they called in my vin the dispatcher said " 2005 Honda CBR black sold to a Joshua smith on 8/11/2012 by seller (name) " . So I think they are yanking my chain. Only document
I got was a "fix it" ticket to "fix" the VIN. This is such a stupid situation honestly it angers me

#22 ·
Fix the vin ? My speculation would be to match the registration with the title ie register the bike in your name so get that done and stop at their head quarters they will inspect the documents , you pay the fee what ever it is get the ticket taken care of and get on your merry way should not be that complicated

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
The title is in your name , the bike is insured , but the registration and the plate are not in your name if you we're in FL you would get a ticket and the cops would think the bike is stolen due to that registration issue . You drive around with the registration and the insurance card not the title if you know what i mean .I would suggest for you to save yourself the hassle pay the fees and register the bike in your name at such point there cannot be any assumptions that the bike is not yours cause all main documents ( Title , registration , insurance ) hold one name you having two different names on such documents raises flags its that simple

#226 ·
Sorry to hear about this man. I didn't read the whole thread, but do you have the Title to the bike with the matching VIN#'s in your name?

^What Moe said.

This happend to me but with my car before. I had a 94 Honda Accord I bought from the dealership. I financed it and got all the paperwork from the dealer so I'm legit. 6 months later the car is stolen, and when the cops check the registration it was still registered to the previous owner, not me! So the dealership did not do their job.

#12 ·
Moeman. Yeah I didn't
Think about the registration thing cause it was already paid for. I'm new to the whole transferring experience. But it's not that which raised any flags . Then say my VIN is tampered with. Yet numbers match the registration and the title. Hella weak situation

#17 ·
You know they can say what ever they want in the legal world documents do all the talking this is what I would do register the bike in your name you will get your own license plate with the new registration that right there should shut them up and kill their claims that the bike is stolen . There is no way I would drive my own property to their head quarters and leave it there to get abused
There is nothing to inspect looking at the vin plate to determine if it was tampered with or not should not take days no way . if God forbid the bike gets damaged while its in there possession they will not claim responsibility
If they did not give specific instructions in writing to take the bike to their head quarters I would not even bother with them just register the bike ASAP just in case you get pulled over again your document will be in order and make sure to give your insurance company the new plate number so your insurance documents state such number ie matching records on all your documents will stop any assumptions right there and then

#13 ·
RLEE honestly I have no clue the numbers match and everything

#15 ·
Just bring the title with you Tuesday and you should be good. It was processed through the DMV already so everything should be fine. You may want to go ahead and have it registered in your name, though.

#16 ·
Either way this is messed up. Honestly I would register it, get the fix it fixed, and f&@: them. If they wanted your bike they would have towed it right then and there. Your ticket was a fix it right? Most fix it's you do have to take it to the police and they verify it was fixed. Does the ticket say anything about the vin?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#23 ·
I agree with Moeman, fix the registration and get some plates that are in your name and you should be good to go.

Im not sure your reasoning behind letting the registration stay in someone else's name but your supposed to switch it over to your name when you purchase/title a vehicle, at least thats the way it is in VA.

The registration "runs out" and needs renewed annually yes, but it also needs switched over to the new owners name when the vehicle is transferred. That way the vehicle is REGISTERED TO YOU. That proves ownership and responsibility for the vehicle. That's probably why they thought it was stolen.

You pay taxes on your personal property, and that is what the registration is partially for, if you bought it from someone and it still had "time before it expired" then you still have to switch it over and pay taxes from the time you took ownership, and the person selling it would be reimbursed for the time that they did not have it. So technically, by not registering it it your name at the time of purchase, you are forcing the person that sold it to you to pay taxes on it still, until it gets transferred into your name and on paper, it still looks like it is their bike and not yours.

I think Moeman has it right, if you get it registered in your name asap, you should be good to go... No issues, and i also agree in saying that unless you have something in writing, i wouldn't give the cops my bike for days, especially for something that would only take a few minutes to get some numbers.

#25 ·
Next time have them use lube.. Get documentation of exact why the "had" to impound your bike... And do you not have the slip/registration???

With that its no question and they can not and will not impound anything with out a legit cause.. There is no probable cause for an impound something doesn't add up.. And if its a false accusation they will be paying you for the bike wrongly taken. If not you will repot their office.. I see this all too often wih LEOs not knowing gun laws and spreading FUD.

Like above search for legal advice

#27 ·
Here if you get a "fix-it" ticket, you address the issue and have it signed off on.

Here I'd get your papers in order, and go to the top of the chain department wise and have such signed off on. Explain the situation, show the untampered VIN, and matching documents. Coming across professional will get you far here I'm betting.

#28 ·
Yeah the ticket I have just says they feel the vin has been tampered with. I've included a picture of the VIN cause I'm not sure. I'm going to forget it registered In my name tomorrow. But what if it turns out to be stolen? Then I lost
Like 200$ you know ? Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle

#31 · (Edited)
Yeah the ticket I have just says they feel the vin has been tampered with. I've included a picture of the VIN cause I'm not sure. I'm going to forget it registered In my name tomorrow. But what if it turns out to be stolen? Then I lost
Like 200$ you know ? View attachment 30649

To be honest with you it looks fishy but you stated the title you have in your hand matches that vin plate then you should be in excellent shape and from there simply register the bike install the new plates take the title , registration , insurance card and head to the police head quarters they will match the numbers together , collect the fees for the fix it ticket and off you go on your merry way

#29 ·
The ticket just says I have to have the vin checked or something

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.