Need Someone Who Know's Radiator Fan Wiring Pretty Well : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
BELLISSIMO
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Someone Who Know's Radiator Fan Wiring Pretty Well SOLVED!!!

I've been running through the wiring of the fan and narrowed it down to either the relay being bad, or a problem with the two wires the black-white, and green-blue that come into the plug that the relay is plugged into.

i need to know what activates these two wire to make continuity to allow the fan to recieve power. I have power comming into the plug through the blue-orange, and a good ground through the black-blue. I also need to know where the sensor on the motor is that activates the fan to kick on.

my problem is everytime the fan is suposed to kick on it blows the power fuse. i dont know if this is sign of a bad relay, or if i have a short in the two activation wires that come into the relay. i didnt think these wires recievced any power though, i thought they were just both grounds that when activated allowed the relay to pass power through the relay.

any help would be appreaciated

Last edited by BELLISSIMO; 04-27-2008 at 11:22 AM.
BELLISSIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Knightslugger

what year are we talking here?

i can tell you that the relay is switched by the ECU by means of ECT Sensor readings.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
MXRider
Buzz Killington

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
i would think u might have a pinched wire somewhere.
when power gets applied to it the fuse pops.
any damaged wires or a melted plug?
MXRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
BELLISSIMO
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
what year are we talking here?

i can tell you that the relay is switched by the ECU by means of ECT Sensor readings.

06 600rr

and im not seeing any wires that are heating up or melting either. Does anyone know where the sensor is on the motor or cooling system that tells the fan to kick on? or am i thinking prehistoric times like with the f4i where there is a sensor on the radiator that once it reaches a certain temp grounds out the connection and competes the circuit.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
BELLISSIMO
Training Wheel Hero

also anyone know where this ect sensor is located?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLISSIMO View Post
06 600rr

and im not seeing any wires that are heating up or melting either. Does anyone know where the sensor is on the motor or cooling system that tells the fan to kick on? or am i thinking prehistoric times like with the f4i where there is a sensor on the radiator that once it reaches a certain temp grounds out the connection and competes the circuit.
I'm not sure how the F4i does it (probably exactly the same) but the ECT is located on the Thermostat housing, on the back side of the motor. It sends a readout to the Dash and the ECU. The ECU will then send a signal to the Fan Control Relay once a certain voltage range is met. that relay then closes and sends power directly to the fan.

if you're burning out 20A Fan Fuses, your problem leis between the Fan Control Relay and the fan (and ground, of course).

ECT=Engine Coolant Temperature
Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
BELLISSIMO
Training Wheel Hero

alright thanks for your help thats actually what i needed to know. you think a faulty relay could be the problem of the fuse blowing? (anyone know symtoms of a faulty replay?)or think its prolly in the wiring? im thinking wiring, but everything seems to be intact and not pinched anywhere, but looks like i might have to look further.

man this is a totally differnt beast from what im normally used to working on. thanks for your help. You think removing the thermostat could have possibly created this problem? sounds stupid to me but i guess anythings possible on these things....

Last edited by BELLISSIMO; 04-24-2008 at 05:37 PM.
BELLISSIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Knightslugger

Quote:
you think a faulty relay could be the problem of the fuse blowing? (anyone know symtoms of a faulty replay?)
Could be... Faulty relay symptoms can include everything that doesn't include "continuity when powered" AND "no continuity with unpowered".

It cold be internally fubar'd... no telling what that sort of damage would present... you can switch out the fan relay with the headlight relay, that would tell you right there is it's busted. if the bike hasn't taken a hit on the left side, i find it UNLIKELY that the Relay failed. the actuation mechanism doesn't use boat loads of power so unless it took a beating, i doubt that's the problem.

Quote:
or think its prolly in the wiring? im thinking wiring, but everything seems to be intact and not pinched anywhere, but looks like i might have to look further.
Don't discount the fan not being the problem either. it can turn out that the fan's wiring is shorting internally...

Quote:
You think removing the thermostat could have possibly created this problem? sounds stupid to me but i guess anythings possible on these things....
Anything is possible... I donno if it's been serviced or not, but some tech (or yourself) might have rapped the sensor enough to cause issues...
Old 04-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
BELLISSIMO
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for your help man went through the wiring and seemed all good so put a reley in i had off anothe 600rr wiring harness and she works perfect. thanks again for your help.

Chris.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
Knightslugger

Quote:
Thanks for your help man went through the wiring and seemed all good so put a reley in i had off anothe 600rr wiring harness and she works perfect. thanks again for your help.

Chris.
must have been the relay then. excellent results! if the problem pops back up, come back here so we can get a chronology.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
ox.
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
hey Bellisimo are you riding today?
ox. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
BELLISSIMO
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ox. View Post
hey Bellisimo are you riding today?

nadda, just wokrin on this paper most the day. gotta get done with this school ****. i got my 4 years in, now i gotta get out and make some money! sunday i might be up at the spot for a lil bit.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
havoc
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Bellissimo,

Can you adjust the thread title to read solved? I'd appreciate it man I lurk these forums to try and help others out if I can.

Good job on the troubleshooting technique Knightslugger.

My Highside wreck

Phil 4:13
havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement