Shifting from first to second gear..your input? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Track Talk > Riding tips

Riding tips A good place to gain &, share knowledge , information and tips about safe enjoyable riding .

Old 10-13-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
ScorpioCBR
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shifting from first to second gear..your input?

Hey fellas,
haven't been active much and thats because money got real tight and I actually thought about selling the bike. I might actually keep it now seeing as I might have a job opportunity brewing up soon.

Anyway, I want to perfect the first to second gear shift. I've had the bike since late June and have got 4,500 miles on it so I feel pretty comfortable on it. Now, here's the thing:

Everytime when I shift from first to second its not smooth at all! There's like a nice "pop" or "bang" noise as I shift up into second. Sometimes it doesn't do it and thats because I'll rev up the engine a little right before shifting. I'm sure there's got to be a different way to do it though.

I don't want to have the tranny prematurely fail on me or whatever so what do you guys do to smoothly shift from first to second? Bike is stock apart from having a gutted air intake.

Thanks guys, looking forward to the answers!:icon_lol:
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 AM   #2
J0hn
Knee Dragger

i use to slip out of second gear sometimes.. and sometimes when i try to hit second it'll be like pop pop pop totally grinding gears.. but i tightened up my clutch cable and make sure I give enough force on the shift lever and I don't get it anymore
J0hn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
MachRider
World Superbike Racer

Shifting from first to second requires much more clutch than the rest of the gears. I say just shift quickly with your foot and let the clutch out smoothly and slowly.

If you can make the shift movement and the clutch disengage/engage smooth too, your suspension will thank you. Just remember you blip on a downshift, not up. A buddy of mine learned that today!
Bright Headlights
Handlebar Grips
Completely Bone Stock Fuel Tank
Tuned by Valentino Rossi
MachRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
ScorpioCBR
Knee Dragger

Yeah I enagage the clutch 100% and it still does the popping noise and I'm fairly quick about it. I'll try tightening the clutch and see if that helps. BTW I'm a total noob about tech talk...what does "blip" mean? (Sorry i'm German and still don't know the vocabulary 100% lol)
Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
MachRider
World Superbike Racer

blipping is actually a slang term in riding I think. It means you flick the throttle a little bit to match engine rev's with the road speed. Any time you hear racers shifting down through the gears approaching a turn and you hear how they don't lurch into gear and the engine doesn't have to "catch up" to the road speed, that's blipping.

Here's a video of me doing it on a Ninja. at about 1:30 video time after coming off of the straight, I blip the throttle to shift down into turn 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtdeUoEycnA
Bright Headlights
Handlebar Grips
Tuned by Valentino Rossi
Old 10-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
neight
C.F.A. member / whore

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you try clutchless upshifting? that's the quickest way to shift just preload (apply upward shifting pressure but dont shift) so you don't hit neutral then when you let off the gas a little it should pop right in, then back on the throttle.

blipping is getting the revs up before letting the clutch out on a downshift so that you don't slam a lot of revs onto your drivetrain and lock up the back wheel / chatter. blipping on upshift is kind of like the beginning of clutching a wheelie.

Life is good
neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:12 AM   #7
MachRider
World Superbike Racer

I hardly ever clutchless upshift from 1-2 just because of the jerkiness of it. I can do it, but the shift won't be smooth. I hardly ever use 1st gear for anything but starts, so I make it a smooth one since I hardly ever go to it again.

Given my gear some smooth respect!
Bright Headlights
Handlebar Grips
Tuned by Valentino Rossi
Old 10-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
R3DS2K
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
when in 1st about to go to 2nd. this is what i do and it seems to be pretty smooth but i ride kinda hard/fast lol. i pull in the clutch and let of the throttle a hair second after pulling it in so it kinda revs up a little while your pulling in the clutch than shift.. feels smoother to me and dont always do it tho
R3DS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
ScorpioCBR
Knee Dragger

R3DS2K - Yeah I figured that out as well. I'm curious if there's any other ways to do it when I'm not riding hard. (i.e. city etc)

I do clutchless shifting but not from first to second. I'll mess around with it again today and see if I can eliminate that pop I get. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #10
R3DS2K
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioCBR View Post
R3DS2K - Yeah I figured that out as well. I'm curious if there's any other ways to do it when I'm not riding hard. (i.e. city etc)

I do clutchless shifting but not from first to second. I'll mess around with it again today and see if I can eliminate that pop I get. Thanks for all the help guys!
hmm when it pops what rpms are u at when u shift.. i remember when i 1st started riding my 600RR it did the same thing and i know exacty what you are talking about. maybe i got use to it or it doesnt do it anymore.. might just be the way i shift. since it doesnt do it even when i riding normal/slow without reving up before shiftting

edit: wow u have twice the miles as me. i was thinking maybe a break in issue but i guess it has to do with shifting or i just dont notice it anymore.. i have to go check again next time i ride and ill let u know
Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
paliplaya
Training Wheel Hero

Sounds like you are shifting at too low of an RPM. Try going to 6-7k before shifting and see how that works.

Also remember you are shifting through neutral to get to 2nd, so like other said above me, you need more clutch and more force than other.

PS- clutch less shifting is stupid and pointless on the street, it should only be used on track.
paliplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
ScorpioCBR
Knee Dragger

I usually shift around 6-7K into second, sometimes around 4K when I'm behind traffic and such. Maybe just too low of an RPM to shift through neutral and such? Like I've said before, when I rev the engine up a tad right when I shift it doesnt happen so maybe it is because I'm shifting at too low of an RPM. I'll go try it out now after I tightened my clutch, will report back in a couple hours.

Trying to enjoy the last nice days we have up here in MI!:sad11:
Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #13
chipmunkofdoom2
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's like that with me.. I usually have to be extremely slow and careful to get it to be smooth like a baby's bottom.

I remember one day I lost count of what gear I was in (I got in the habit of keeping track mentally) and I thought second was first, so I kept stopping in second and I would take off from a stop in second. I thought something was wrong with the bike at first because I had to use more throttle and play with the clutch a little more to get moving, but there wasn't any rough shift up from 1 -> 2, since it was actually 2 -> 3, haha. Give that a shot :icon_lol:

So far, 13109 people (including you) have responded to this Squid Test Survey and have been tabulated.
Of those responses, the average grade is 53. Your grade was 82 (from 0 to 100)

A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a fairly responsible motorcyclist but a bit of a wise-ass.

Hahaha.

chipmunkofdoom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #14
R3DS2K
Moto GP Racer

yea we need gear indicators. hate shifting into 7th

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkofdoom2 View Post
It's like that with me.. I usually have to be extremely slow and careful to get it to be smooth like a baby's bottom.

I remember one day I lost count of what gear I was in (I got in the habit of keeping track mentally) and I thought second was first, so I kept stopping in second and I would take off from a stop in second. I thought something was wrong with the bike at first because I had to use more throttle and play with the clutch a little more to get moving, but there wasn't any rough shift up from 1 -> 2, since it was actually 2 -> 3, haha. Give that a shot :icon_lol:
Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #15
ScorpioCBR
Knee Dragger

Yeah I've accidentally done the same thing before, unfortunately I stalled it cuz I didn't realize I was in second gear until it was too late. I'm sure everyone thought "noob" haha...damn!!:icon_lol::icon_lol: But yeah I've done it a couple times since then on purpose because of that reason (the hard up-shift from 1st to 2nd) and it's not too difficult at all. Might stay with that idea!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #16
Hotrod31082
Training Wheel Hero

I would make sure the chain is tight enough because to much freeplay will affect how smooth your shift is.
Hotrod31082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement