Xenon Expert - 6000k Volt HID - How To Thread : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > 03-06 RR Modifications

03-06 RR Modifications 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 Modifications

Old 01-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Xenon Expert - 6000k Volt HID - How To Thread

Well Here she goes my first how to.
I just received the box tonight after only 7 business days since ordering
(with it being the holidays and all...l I think that's pretty damn good!!)

So I'm going to start the thread with a few pictures of the sexy box they came in. I'll be updating everything as I go on through the install this week.

I have a 6 month old son (who just learned to crawl, I think I'll have him riding mini bikes before he walks though heh) and with the bike being over in our shop at my buddies place, it may not end up being the quickest how to thread on the face of the earth. I do guarantee though once we get through it you won't even think twice to light up the streets with HID's beaming from your bike!

Ok so here are the teaser shots....
Day 1!

sideroadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
imo:FLUX
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cant wait for the full install. want to see how this kit looks like compared to the ddm.
imo:FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Gimenez
AMA Supersport Racer

How much are these anyways
08' Honda VFR800 Interceptor
Gimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

They are normally $150 but on sale for $120.
heres the link man
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=122342
Old 01-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

Day 2

Ok guys so I'm not going to go into taking off the front fairing as my bike is completely naked because of good ol winter mod time and because I think it would be just like beating a dead horse :) (not that I condone that type of thing)

So we will start with how the head unit looks like when its off the bike and disconected from the wiring harness.
(my headlights and front fairing are aftermarket, they should be pretty close to the same as any 05-06 rr)

Next step is to remove your dust covers and put to the side as we will have to modify these to install the HID system.

Then take a razor knife (olfa, exacto, anything sharp) and cut on flat around the top lip of the back side of your dust cover as shown in the images below.

Then feed all the wires that arn't on the buld side of the rubber gromit through the dust cap from the side of the dust cap that was towards your headlights and out through the front.

Next you take the rubber gromet which you will see has a grove in the middle of it that will seat on the part of the dust cover you have cut off in step 3. Just use your fingers to pull the close side through until its nicely seated and sealed.

Next thing I did was to cut a small slit in the dust cover to feed the neg and positive leads that will connect to the factory headlight housing. (keep in mind to do it very small and on the bend in the rubber where I did it as this will make it easier to seal with a bit of caulking later on so that it won't have water entering it)

Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

cont.

Then you can unscrew the top of the bulb housing, being carefull not to touch the bulb with your fingers or anything else for that matter!
Make sure you remove the plastic washer and then put into your housing and lock it in with the wire bulb holder just like you would a stock h7 hulb.
(note: The first side we did we cut the bottem of the protective cover off before we put the light in. On the second one we found it easier to leave more slack on the wiring and to install the bulb and then cut the cover off after)

Lightly hold onto the black wires coming from the back of the dust cap and snug it onto the back of the headlights.

After both sides are done this is what it should look like.

So thats pretty much all for day 2! I'm about to head over there now to work on her some more.
I'll get some more on a bit later tonight!
Heres a couple pics of my buddies shop to leave ya guys with.
It may be small but that means the needed tools are never far away ;)

and my partner in crime Geoff!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

Day 3

Alrighty boys and girls.
The day you have been waiting for!!
Lets just say there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

So now that we have the bulbs in its time to figure out where to put all these wires and ballasts.
After a bunch of contemplation, a few coffees, and a few arguments between me and my buddy on to the placement of the ballasts we decided to mount them both between the headlights thinking that yes they may get hot being next to each other but they would be getting plenty of fresh air being away from the radiator, engine and rad hoses if we were to mount them on the frame. As well as trying to keep more wiring from having to hide behind the fairings.

The first thing we did was to remove the tilt sensor to give us a bit more room.

We then used cutters to cut back the plastic as seen in the next few pictures so we could get the ballasts as far back into them as we could.

Then testing to make sure we had enough of the plastic trimmed back to get a good fit.

We then used four wire ties to secure them together back to back through the supplied mounting holes after using high temp electrical tape to hold them together around the sides.

Then it was onto drilling two holes into the top of the plastic and two into the bottom of the remaining plastic as shown in the pictures so that we could run wire ties straight down behind the ballasts to connect to more wire ties that would loop around the end of them and secure them snugly in place.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

Day 3 cont.

Now on the next part because of the fact so many wires are going into such a small area. It took me figuring it out after a bit of trail and error on how to fit them in there nicely. I took a screw driver and etched into the side of the ignitor from the right ballast an R on both sides.
I did this because I found that trying to tuck everything away while it was all attached was a bit of a pain in the ass.
I first tucked the ignitors under with a space inbetween them and not hooked to their respective side and then took the rest of the wires from the back of the ballasts, doubled themselves over on eachother and wire tied them once.
I tucked the other wires between the two ignitors and then hooked up the ignitor wires to their respective side, doubled the wires on them selves and wire tied each side as it shows in the pictures below.

Then you re-install the tilt sensor.
And if you did everything right it will fit like everything was meant to be there!

I then extended my positive and negative leads that were pulled through the dust cap earlier, added a few feet of extra to both to help me with my wiring of my low beam SPST on/off switch later on.

Putting the stock spade end from the HID kits negative lead back onto the end of my extended negative lead, soldering and heat shrinking it on.
And putting a female spade end onto the positve lead coming from the dust cap in the same fashion as above but to go onto the back of my low beam switch that I'm wiring inline on the positive wire.

So I then took the low beam side oem headlight plug that you would normally plug into your stock h7 bulds and took it apart so that I had both female spade connectors seperated.
I put the positive lead from the bikes wiring harnes into one side of my SPST switch.(check your manual or use a voltmeter to make sure you get them right. On mine it was the wire going into each headlight that had a stripe down the wire and the ground side was solid black with little silver dots)
Then the positive lead that we lengthened earlier from the HID kit with the female spade connector onto the other pole on our SPST switch.
Then attach your negative wire from the two you seperated on your bikes low beam harness and plug your lengthened negative wire with the spade end from your low beam HID into it.
AND VOILA!!!!

Now I just mocked up the front end because I have a bunch more stuff to do this winter before the fairings get put back on but I wanted to test her out obviously!!
And I figured you guys might like to see how they look as well :)
I will be getting the stock wiring harness and the rest of the wires all tucked away once I put her back together in the spring.
My ram air mod is pretty much finished so after that gets done I will be able to get a better idea of where I'm gunna tuck everything.
(If you guys want a How To on my ram air mod just let me know. There are a few out there but I did mine a bit different)

Here are some pics of the lights at night. It was pissing rain and night obviously so they arn't the best pics but they give you an idea.
The low beam cutoff switch works like an absolute charm!!
I just have to make sure come spring that I always remember turn off both light switches before I turn off the bike :)
It shouldn't be to hard... I hope!

Low beam.

Both low and high.

Low only. 5 ft away from the shop. Truck was in the driveway so couldn't back up anymore.

Low and high 5 ft away from shop.

Just a shot trying to get them without being blinded by them haha... didn't really work out that great though...

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t=IMG_2215.jpg

Well boys and girls thats about it for my first build thread :)
I hope that helps some of you guys out!
The guys down and xenon expert have wicked customer service and supply a fantastic product that I am proud to have on my bike.
They look deadly and can't wait to light up the back of a cager after they cut me off haha

Any questions or comments are more welcome!
Thanks for reading and hopefully you learned something new reading through this because I know I did getting her all put together.

Ben
Old 01-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
yellow_RR
Knee Dragger

Aren't those technically illegal due to the light scatter?
K&N air filter
Dyno-tuned
Custom seats
Puig DB windscreen
Greg's Customs turn signals
CA Smoked Integrated Tail Light
Black PC'd rear pegs + Tripage LED
Pazzo Levers - short Red/Black
Red EKMVZ 520 chain
Driven sprockets (-1/+1)
Speedo-healer
Red rim tape
Frame bolt plugs
Mesh vent mod
Heated grips
Pirelli Corsa 3's

Electric Vehicle (EV) Infrastructure Implementation Experts- http://www.ecosparktech.com
yellow_RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
ProWakeskater
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
you cut your water seal! no bueno! I installed mine without cutting it. I just removed that flexible rubber seal that came on the kit completely. Those plastic pieces that came with the kit fit on the back of the bulbs, and in the housing (with a little trimming). And it fits in our water seal perfectly like stock bulbs.

I would re-install them and seal that hole you made with some silicone to avoid moisture seeping in, then re-write your how-to. The power connections have no use entering the headlights, then exiting to plug back into the stock power source. I couldnt imagine your bulbs are held securely without that housing either...
ProWakeskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

Naw man it makes the dust cover not sit flush if you do it any other way. You can leave your installed how you like but with the silicone I put into the slit through and around the wires water will never get in and makes all the wires come out in a neat fashion. Thanks for the constructive criticism.
As for the x clips on an 05 bike they we not needed. the stock wire bulb holders are a snugfit to even get back into the clip again against the back of the bulbs. They arn't going anywhere and no water can get in. already tested it all with a spray bottle. Shes good to go :)
Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

and yes all HID's are for off road use only unless they are in a housing that directs the light in a fashion that some big wig in a court house decides is A-OK.
But F&^% it... technically not a whole lot on my bike is legal here...
power commander - illegal
rear integrated - illegal
HID's - illegal
no reflectors - illegal
ignition module - illegal
no cat - illegal
pipe louder then DB level on by laws - illegal
no plate light - illegal

do I need to go on :)

Don't ride like a douche and the cops won't bother you.
I don't live in a small town so they have better things to worry about for the most part.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
troyhonda
Knee Dragger

Thanks sideroadslayer, i'll be getting mine soon and i'll use some of those ideas!
troyhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
ChaosRider
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I got the DDM kit. The ballasts in that kit will fit exactly where you put yours w/o
chopping up your headlight housing. I got my kit for 70 shipped to my door. Also i agree
with Prowakeskater for the most part about the dust cap slicing for the power wires to
come back out. Since you were cutting the spades off anyways why didn't you just
pull the wire right out of the holes and fill those with silicone? That's what i did. My bike
is an 03' and i had to use the hard plastic bases for the lamps to get a good snug fit with
the lampholder spring, they do require a little trimming to fit tho ,just a heads up for
others doing this mod. I do agree with the trimming the inside lip off of the dustcap to
get the grommet to fit properly. Anyhow, just differences in opinion/method. Rock on.
520 Conv. w/ Driven sprox -1+2, Speedohealer, SS Goodridge
front lines, Woodcraft frame sliders, R&G forksliders, BMC
Street, Puig Double Bubble, HID cutoff switch in toolbox,
Custom tag bracket, Lots of black Powdercoat, CRF450R
rear master mod

Link to my build thread - http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=124433
ChaosRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #15
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

thanks man :)
Yeah I had no "HOW TO's" go by for our year.
The only one is for the 07-08 of this brand of HID in the "HOW TO's" So I had to think on the spot :)
I can see where you guys are coming from but I wanted to keep all the wiring in that one place and its either do how I did or how Pro said to do it.
Either way your caulking a hole...
Both will work and the added friction of the other wires holding the dust cap on tight was a bit of a deciding factor for me.

Show us some pics when you get your guys bikes done I'm sure everyone will love to see em!

And like I said my headlights were after market so wasn't sure how close they were to OEM. I could fit the ballasts in there without any cutting but we did so that they would get nice and far forward so I would be sure not to have any clearance issues with the front fairing stay.

Rock on boys and thanks for the good words!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
Dannyboysurfs
Training Wheel Hero

Can anyone provide some pics or a play by play walkthrough of how to connect the wires fro the HID switch? Been searching and searching, but some people are talking about hooking something up to the battery and others are just using the wires from the HID kit and I guess the 2 wires from the Left Bulb housing...still confused. Want to get everything right before I start splicing, soldering, and heat shrinking!! Thx
Dannyboysurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
Shaggs2Dope
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
nice shed for the work

Aww, they love each other, but are Jealous of who gets my attention.
Shaggs2Dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
1988_Biker
Knee Dragger

Do your balast's over heat? I was told that placing them together like that would not be a good idea because of heat?
Yosh Exhaust
RK 520 chain with Vortex sprocket -1 & +1
Stomp pads
K&N Air Filter
Vortex sliders
Vortex rearsets
HID headlights
Power Comander
Loud a$$ speakers!
1988_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #19
1988_Biker
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboysurfs View Post
Can anyone provide some pics or a play by play walkthrough of how to connect the wires fro the HID switch? Been searching and searching, but some people are talking about hooking something up to the battery and others are just using the wires from the HID kit and I guess the 2 wires from the Left Bulb housing...still confused. Want to get everything right before I start splicing, soldering, and heat shrinking!! Thx
No you dont have to hook them up to your battery. The outlets from your regular bulbs will suffice. You might need a flat piece of metal on the end to put it into the outlet but other than that, it is really straight forward... the hardest part is finding the best place for all the parts... which sideroadslayer has done a very good job of.
Yosh Exhaust
RK 520 chain with Vortex sprocket -1 & +1
Stomp pads
K&N Air Filter
Vortex sliders
Vortex rearsets
HID headlights
Power Comander
Loud a$$ speakers!
1988_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #20
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

thanks for the good words guys :) I have seen other people who have put their ballasts together as I have and I think the fact of the front end getting a good amount of air will keep them pretty cooled. As well as the fact that I won't be running my high beam that often anyways. (Just the low beam is pretty damn bright!!)
And if you guys need a diagram of how I wired in the switch I can make you up one just let me know :)
Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
Dannyboysurfs
Training Wheel Hero

HID Switch

Slayer,

It would be awesome if you could make some sort of diagram for dummies with no electrical experience! Anything indicating which wires to run for the switch, colors of the wires, etc. Any help would be appreciated since I have very little experience wiring:icon_stud
Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

no problem man give me a few mins and I'll see what I can draw up for ya :)
Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #23
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

ok here ya go man

let me know if that helps ya out!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #24
Dannyboysurfs
Training Wheel Hero

Slayer,
Thanks so much...that's a major help. One more question though; I have a 3 prong LED switch (round one)...what do I do with the 3rd prong on the switch?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #25
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

that would be for a lighted switch so when its in the on position the light will light. You dont have to hook up the third prong unless you want it lighted but hey your lights will be on so it will be pretty easy to see when the switch is on or when its not :)
But if you do want it lighted I think it depends on the switch but I'm pretty sure youd run that third one to a common ground on the bike. I'd make a test light though so you dont end up shorting something out and make sure you know which poles are what on your switch. If you dont want it lit it should just be the two outside poles hooked up how I described above. If anyone else has any input on how to light up his switch chime in :) I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure thats how youd do it.
Good luck man!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #26
blacksnow
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Have you had any issues with temperature mounting them back to back? How long have they been installed now?
blacksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #27
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

hey man sent ya a pm back
Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 AM   #28
Xenon Expert
HID King

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Nice Job. And you will love the kit. It is superior in reliability to the DDM. DDM is a good kit and we sell it but the Volt using only Japanese parts is in a different league. :)

Oliver

http://www.xenonexpert.com/

VOLT Japanese HID sale: HERE
how-to: here

YOUR HIGH END HID SOURCE
Xenon Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
Dannyboysurfs
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for all of the help guys. Wiring was easy and straight forward...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #30
sideroadslayer
Moto GP Racer

glad we could help you get her done man :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement