» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > 03-06 RR Modifications

03-06 RR Modifications 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 Modifications

Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
DeathWish
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New chain and sprockets

So my chain is stretched to the max, which I'm thinking means it needs to be replaced.

My understanding is that you're suppose to replace everything if you're replacing anything.. i.e. don't just replace the chain, but replace the sprockets too--although my sprockets seem to be in good shape.

So my first question is, is this true? Do I have to replace everything? Second question is I want to play with the gearing a little bit. Have a 43t on the rear right now (thinking about going to a 45) and depending what is on the front, I may drop a tooth. My question is will I get enough of a difference going with the 45t on the back? Or should I also -1 on the front as well? I do very little freeway riding (find it boring) so gas mileage at freeway speeds isn't a concern.

Thanks guys.
DeathWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
05sibber600
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
www.gearingcommander.com
that will tell you stock sprockets and alot of other stuff you can play around with the gearing it will tell you approx. top speed as well
05sibber600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Tim600RR
AMA Supersport Racer

i believe up 2 in the rear is close to the effect of going down 1 in the front. So i would think going -1 +2 is twice the difference of only +2 in the rear.

You should be able to replace just the chain if you wanted to. I think they all wear together and if you install just a new chain the used sprockets would wear a little faster.

2003 600RR - 34,100 Miles
Tim600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
motomummy
Vendor

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
going down in the front is normally around the same as going up 2.8 in the rear. so it's closer to go up +3 in the rear.

Your gearing should be based on how you ride. do you ever go over 150mph a lot? Do you like to wheelie? Are you okay with having your bike rev say 1k higher in 6th while cruising? Knowing those people can give you a better idea on what gearing is best for YOU and how YOU ride. There is no gearing that is best for everyone so if everyone says to run -1/+2 that doesn't mean you'll like it. Let us know how you ride and what you want out of it and people can give you some good gearing recommendations.

+1 on changing the sprockets and chain together because they do form together and wear out together.

Check us out on Facebook too.
motomummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
roadranger84
Knee Dragger

Not trying to hijack this post but I personally ride up to 130 to 140 mph at fastest and have not got into stunting but have been playing with 1st gears. I had a GOOD friend ride my bike ( 05 cbr 600rr ) and he said he had to clutch the hell out of it in 2nd to get it to come up.. That the stock gearing wont really let you power up a 2nd gear. Plus you gotta bounce on it so what sprocket set up would yall recommend for me. Basicly a bike night bike and commuting bike.. OH and I do some twistys too
roadranger84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
phooka
Training Wheel Hero

If you replace the chain you replace the sprockets cuz they wear as a set. It's metal on metal with no lubrication. Since you are only supposed to lubricate the o rings on the chain so. Replace both for optimal chain life. Replacing the chain on worn sprockets will just wear the chain faster
phooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
gixxert
Knee Dragger

i ride alot of corners and do some track days so i went -1/+2 520 convertion and i had to change everything (as i would even if i was staying stock) and love it. i went with the vortex hardened steel front with the holes drilled in it and a super sprox rear with an ek chain. great set up and suits me well. so if you like about like i do you might try it.
gixxert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
cmaroni
Knee Dragger

Are you looking to bring the front up in the air for easy wheelies or lay on the tank and haul balls? That is what you need to figure out before you start changing gearing. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to have your speedometer flashed after you gear it differently if you are going to use it regularly.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
motomummy
Vendor

+1. Gearing needs to be tailored to your needs and wants. No gearing is perfect for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaroni View Post
Are you looking to bring the front up in the air for easy wheelies or lay on the tank and haul balls? That is what you need to figure out before you start changing gearing. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to have your speedometer flashed after you gear it differently if you are going to use it regularly.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
DeathWish
AMA Supersport Racer

Thanks for the replies. If I was interested in constantly pushing it into triple digits, I would have got a liter bike. I know what effect different gearing has on a bike, and I've already decided to gear it a little "shorter." I was just wondering if you had to do the -1 AND +2 to really get a noticeable difference, or if the +2 alone would suffice. Since I'm changing the sprockets anyway, I guess ill just drop a tooth in the front as well.
As far as speedo healing, I had a ninja 250 that was horribly inaccurate (well over 10% off). Luckily there always seems to be a radar trap somewhere nearby so i just use those to calibrate.
DeathWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
motomummy
Vendor

If you rarely go into the 100's then for sure I would recommend a -1/+2. It will really liven the bike up. You will lose a little on your top speed, but not all that much. The bottom end though will feel a very nice increase.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
MachRider
World Superbike Racer

FYI top speed of my 07 with -1/+2 is 145mph.

Corrected speedo and everything.
Bright Headlights
Handlebar Grips
Completely Bone Stock Fuel Tank
Tuned by Valentino Rossi
MachRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
JSchulte
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Just went 520, but went -1/+1.

Love it!
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.
JSchulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement