» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > 03-06 RR Modifications

03-06 RR Modifications 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 Modifications

Old 03-24-2005, 12:25 AM   #1
CubbyFresh
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine start w/out key?

How can I make my bike start without using the key? Push start button, is there a kit?
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 02:01 AM   #2
sumoboy
Training Wheel Hero

Assuming you dont have HISS,

At the bottom of ignition barrel you should have 3 wires twist them all together and voila! no key required.
sumoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
r6beater
AMA Supersport Racer

will not answer , as this would be handing over an easy theft . if you are racing , you wouldn't be posting here for such a subject . no use for that on a street bike .
Old 03-24-2005, 02:29 AM   #4
blackstripes
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6beater
will not answer , as this would be handing over an easy theft . if you are racing , you wouldn't be posting here for such a subject . no use for that on a street bike .
I somehow don't think nando1 is a bike thief....
Old 03-24-2005, 02:35 AM   #5
CubbyFresh
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6beater
Look bro, just to make it clear, I'm no thief. I was just wondering cus my bike is going to be a track bike and the truth is there is no need for a key if you're tracking your bike and thats all you use it for. I know its not a big deal to use the key but I wanted to get rid of that, its kinda cool just to push a button and voila! it starts.

If members like they can pm me if they think the info will go to the wrong person posting it here .
Old 03-24-2005, 04:48 AM   #6
TiN
Knee Dragger

Bear in mind that if you just wire up the bike, then it will be permanently "on", which will drain your battery quicker...maybe put some intermediate switch in the wiring somewhere...but then you may as well have a key :P
Old 03-24-2005, 05:07 AM   #7
Black_knight_600rr

how about one of them keyless starters like for your car, you push the button from inside and your bike starts then after warm you climb on put the key in and turn it over or somthing like remote start , any such thing as that ?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:00 AM   #8
Mouse
AMA Supersport Racer

If its that much of a hasstle, just locktite the key in the ignition.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:48 AM   #9
CCSEX122
AMA Supersport Racer

All CBRs have a form of HISS, they just don't advertise it. You can't just hotwire this thing, you need a diode wired in backwards to complete the circuit... I'm not giving out the ratings in a public forum because like r6beater said, it makes stealing one too easy. If you're handy with a multimeter you can figure it out once you disassemble the cylinder. I'd recommend against it if you're anything less than proficient with circuitry, all you need is a breakdown in the circuit to get loss of power... which by Murphy's law WILL happen when you're at max lean and send you to the pavement.

Ride found. Now about the financing...

CCSEX122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #10
overdraft
Pocketbike Racer

my buddy's going through this with his track bike now... key starts and does the gas cap... you can't just glue the key in or you can't open your tank. plus if you get to the track and you don't have the key you're screwed! the info was out there for his gix but everyone is correctly cautious about exchanging the info, using pm's and email, however it does not follow that because someone's trying to remove the key from the starting system that they're necessarily thieving... my track bike has no key... or starter...
overdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:42 PM   #11
BlueBlur
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdraft
my buddy's going through this with his track bike now... key starts and does the gas cap... you can't just glue the key in or you can't open your tank. plus if you get to the track and you don't have the key you're screwed! the info was out there for his gix but everyone is correctly cautious about exchanging the info, using pm's and email, however it does not follow that because someone's trying to remove the key from the starting system that they're necessarily thieving... my track bike has no key... or starter...
just buy a twist off gas cap for ya track bike

HOOORRRAAAYYYY FOR BOOOOOTTIEES!!!

BALALALALALA OMG TERRORIST!!
BlueBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
Steve-o
AMA Supersport Racer

if someone is going to steal a bike they will get no matter what. usually they just bring a truck, pick up the bike throw into the bed of the truck drive off. 2 guys can pick up a bike with no prob. I think it would be easier for them to just use a screw driver to punch the ignition
Old 03-25-2005, 10:59 PM   #13
r6beater
AMA Supersport Racer

nando1, i was in no way calling you a thief , or other posters , but anyone can view this without logging in . unfortunatly even at the track theft and vandalism occur . it is my thinking that information that can help some wanna-be thief jack somebodys ride ( or get it running after he and a buddy lifted it into a truck ) should not be posted in an open forum .
Old 04-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #14
Pocketbike Racer

OKOKOKokokok

As you all know I sell these billet triple clamps for the 03-04 with a removeable ignition ring. Now I want to take it off, but would soem knid sole please PM me with the correct diode to buy, so I don´t need to hack up the stock ignition....
0700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #15
predikt
World Superbike Racer

I'm getting sick of using my key at the track and always having to carry it around. I need to figure out a way to hook up some type of on/off/kill switch to do this. If anyone knows how to do this or knows a company that offers that service, please PM me. Thanks.
predikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #16
tripage
LED Surgeon General

Feedback Score: 88 reviews
Pm sent!!!!!!
tripage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #17
predikt
World Superbike Racer

sweet, thanks tripage
Old 06-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #18
gqnugget
Training Wheel Hero

What I have done is taken a CRF/XR70 kill switch and wired it up, along with the appropriate resistor, and made a left thumb kill switch, keyless started.
gqnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #19
predikt
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnugget
What I have done is taken a CRF/XR70 kill switch and wired it up, along with the appropriate resistor, and made a left thumb kill switch, keyless started.
sweet gqnugget. do you have any pics of the work?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #20
trkdydumper
Training Wheel Hero

haha... nado's a thief give me back my carbon fiber wheels biotch... see you saturday!
trkdydumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #21
trkdydumper
Training Wheel Hero

ask me on saturday at the trackday and i'll show you how to do it. easy!!! there's a way to bypass the keyed ignition so that when you click on your run switch it turns on the ignition as well then all you have to do is push the start button. it uses all the stock harnesses you just have to jump one wire and relocate a couple of pins. VIOLA!
trkdydumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #22
the600ex
Training Wheel Hero

As CCSEX122 states, the RR's cannot be hotwired. There is a resistor built into the ignition switch that knocks down the voltage from the battery, telling the computer that the ignition switch is on, not that all 3 wires are touching. I experienced this hassle of trying to run the 600RR motor without an ignition switch when I put it in a quad chassis. The factory ignition switch is a MUST!
the600ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 AM   #23
predikt
World Superbike Racer

gqnugget, what resistor do you need? What does a diode do by the way?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:52 AM   #24
gqnugget
Training Wheel Hero

I have no ignition swith at all on my bike.
gqnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #25
tripage
LED Surgeon General

Feedback Score: 88 reviews
NO KEY....
tripage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #26
dbals
Knee Dragger

Sorry guys, but Ive been a car audio installer for 15+ years with lots of experience with ignitions and bike ignitions are fairly simple. To do it correctly you would still need some switch to turn off ignition circuits (fan, computer,...) You could use the run switch and a relay. Then you would just have to have it on and press start. If you really wanted to be cool you could but a small magnetic switch(only you knowing where its at) for turning your ignition on and then press the start button. That way not just anyone could start your bike. If your turning it into track bike and arent comfortable messing with it, car audio shop that doest remote starts should be able to hook you up. But then you still have that whole gas cap issue. I would have to agree with some of the other guys, I dont think that most of the bikes that get stolen are hot wired, I would think most are picked up and wired later, not a big deal to replace an ignition swith at a different time. If someone really wants to steal it, it will be stolen. Cars with far more advanced anti theft systems get stolen all the time. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by dbals; 06-09-2005 at 11:56 AM.
dbals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #27
predikt
World Superbike Racer

looks clean tripage. are you sure you just didn't take out your ignition just for a cool pic? j/k :)

dbals,
For the remote starter, do the installers still get into the ignition and rewire? Gas cap is not that big of a deal, can get the twist off from Vortex or another company.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #28
dbals
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by predikt
looks clean tripage. are you sure you just didn't take out your ignition just for a cool pic? j/k :)

dbals,
For the remote starter, do the installers still get into the ignition and rewire? Gas cap is not that big of a deal, can get the twist off from Vortex or another company.
You dont have to rewire anything but you are splicing into the same wires(hot, ignition, acc, start) to remote start the car. Then the car looks for any type of sec. Like the resistor that is talked about in the above post. They were putting sec systems like this from the factory on cars 15-20 yrs ago. I havent got into the ignition system on our bikes yet but I would assume its just a hot 12V, ignition 12V, and start. Like I said you would just have to have a switch to energize ignition and then use start button.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #29
dbals
Knee Dragger

Tripage, how did you do yours?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #30
predikt
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbals
You dont have to rewire anything but you are splicing into the same wires(hot, ignition, acc, start) to remote start the car. Then the car looks for any type of sec. Like the resistor that is talked about in the above post. They were putting sec systems like this from the factory on cars 15-20 yrs ago. I havent got into the ignition system on our bikes yet but I would assume its just a hot 12V, ignition 12V, and start. Like I said you would just have to have a switch to energize ignition and then use start button.
Sounds simple enough. I wish I knew a little about wiring before I start into this. Anyone in Southern California have knowledge that can help out? PM me if you can. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement