How to install Gorilla alarm on '09 CBR600RR ABS : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > 07-13 RR Modifications

07-13 RR Modifications Modifications to the '07- to 013 600RR

Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
koalabear
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to install Gorilla alarm on '09 CBR600RR ABS

I just installed a Gorilla 8017/8007 alarm on my new bike. It was a bit of a challenge so thought I would do a little tutorial on it to help others. This is NOT a thread on the merits of this alarm vs. the Scorpio (I have owned both) so please don't fill up the thread with that discussion.

The difficultly is the size of the alarm and finding a place to put it. If you have this bike you know there is almost no room under the passenger seat (about 1" deep and maybe 4" x 5" available) and virtually nothing under the rider seat.

The Gorilla is too big to put in either place. There is almost no room under any of the side plastics either and who wants to take off the plastics when you don't have to.

So I modified the alarm to get it to fit and it works great.

The first picture shows the alarm as it comes - about 2" thick. The solution was to split the alarm in two and this is easy as the two halves are just screwed together. One half is the circuit board and the other half is just the horn. See photo 2.

I bought some plexi to cover each half and silconed that on to each one. On the half with the circuit board you will need to cut a square hole in your plexi for the female end of the harness connector. You will also need to cut the wire connecting the horn to the circuit board as its not long enough to reach the two spots you are going to use to install this. You should solder in about 14" of additional wire.

You will mount the horn half of the alarm under the passenger seat, horn side up using 3M automotive double stick. Alternatively you can use velcro (the alarm comes with plenty.)

The control unit/circuit board half fits under the rider seat just barely next to the battery. I have a photo of the area next to the battery without the unit and also with it. See photos 3 and 4.

The other photo shows it the under the passenger seat - note the tilt sensor is double stuck to the side of the horn and the antenna for the two-way feature of this alarm is stuck there too. Thats the little box with the stub antenna. On the tilt sensor remember to mount this so that its parallel to the ground when the bike is on its side stand. It will then properly alarm when its touched at all in "warn away" mode or full alarm if stood up depending on how you have the alarm set.

The only other thing to find a spot for is the little red warning light. It you just want to put it where you will see it for status and don't want to drill any holes put it where I did on the side of the bike (I got it where the tank meets the frame) if you want to get more adventurous there is plenty of wire to put it wherever.

Thats it. After all the fabbing was done it took about 20 minutes to install it. There is no splicing into anything on the bike - all you do it hook it to the battery and you are done. Be sure to strech out the blue antenna wire from the control box back into the trunk to get the best reception.

Installation questions will be answered here. Happy and safe riding!

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0166.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	19574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	19575   Click image for larger version

Name:	empty space under seat.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	19576   Click image for larger version

Name:	install under seat.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	19578   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk top down.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	19579  

koalabear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to koalabear For This Useful Post:
darklight (11-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
C17_Guy
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thanks for taking the time out to write this up, I've been in a quandary about the Gorilla or the Scorpio alarms but I'll save that for another discussion.
C17_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
darklight
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
The only other thing to find a spot for is the little red warning light. It you just want to put it where you will see it for status and don't want to drill any holes put it where I did on the side of the bike (I got it where the tank meets the frame) if you want to get more adventurous there is plenty of wire to put it wherever.
Rick
Thank you so much for the advice! I was actually thinking in selling my alarm!

I cant see the pic of the red warning light. it would be nice if you could upload one! ;)

Ohhh and I have a question... did you experience any problem concerning water entering into the circuits since it is splitted now?

thanks!
darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
koalabear
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No water problems, just seal it up well. I don't have a pic of the red light but I just put in in the gap on drivers right side between tank and faring - in that seam there. You can really put it almost anywhere you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight View Post
Thank you so much for the advice! I was actually thinking in selling my alarm!

I cant see the pic of the red warning light. it would be nice if you could upload one! ;)

Ohhh and I have a question... did you experience any problem concerning water entering into the circuits since it is splitted now?

thanks!
koalabear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to koalabear For This Useful Post:
darklight (11-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement