Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Sun-Zoom-Spark's 2003 600RR Build Thread

22K views 69 replies 28 participants last post by  hiimchad 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's what I had to start off with. A 2003 CBR600RR, approximately 8700 miles on the clock and pretty much stock, apart from the odd sticker, some Motrax frame sliders and an R&G tail tidy. One of the first things I did was an oil change (Motul 5100 10W/40, K&N) and I had to get that front tyre changed as it was, to coin that infamous phrase, "barely legal". I got a Dunlop Qualifier, to match the rear tyre, which was pretty much brand new.

The first mods that I went for were crash protectors (R&G fork protectors and rear axle sliders, along with some over sized cotton reels) and a tinted double bubble screen. Shortly after, I went for some elite vinyl designs reflective rim tape and a black Pro-Bolt kit.

That summer, I then began to concentrate on some more performance based mods. I fitted:
- A GPR Tiburon Evolution slip on
- RK GB520GXW chain
- Supersprox stealth 520 pitch rear sprocket (44 teeth)
- Renthal 520 pitch front sprocket (15 teeth)
- BMC street air filter

Around this time, I also put on an HRC tank pad/fuel cap cover and some Stompgrip tank pads.

I then had my first problem with the bike: my off-side fork seal failed. I put the bike into a local garage for a quick check over whilst they changed the fork seals (not entirely confident of doing this myself). They also replaced the steering head bearings, whilst they were at it. They were a bit notchy and this had been noted on a previous MOT on the bike. I think a previous owner must have been a bit of a wheelie addict!

See less See more
#2 ·
I decided that the bike looked a lot cleaner without the passenger pegs and, because I don't often carry passengers, I decided to remove them. Around this time, I also bought and fitted a black belly pan from an '04 bike. I thought this looked a lot cleaner than the silver lowers that came stock on the '03; kind of keeping it to the red/black theme.

Towards the end of last year, I decided to go for some more "bling" and had my rear sets and passenger pegs powder coated flat black. I had also been admiring Tripage's work for some time on the site and decided to go for some passenger peg turn signals and had my gauge cluster LEDs changed to match the red/black theme. I also fitted some Motrax D light flush mount front turn signals at the same time.

Over the Winter, I fitted some real carbon fibre engine and clutch covers (sourced from a carbon manufacturer in Ukraine) and scooped up some brand new CRG levers from a dude who was getting rid of his spare track bike parts.

That didn't take too long to do and the winter brought horrendous amounts of snow. Because I was unable to ride, I had to give the bike some loving. I decided to improve the braking efficiency and fitted Goodridge braided "carboline" brake lines all round. I went for the "race" front line option (2 separate lines from the master cylinder). I also then decided to overhaul my callipers; splitting them, giving them a good clean and fitting new seals. Because of the gearing change that I had completed earlier in the year, I decided to fix my inaccurate speedo reading by fitting a Speedo DRD. I also then picked up a PCIII USB; with a view to picking up some add on goodies for it and eventually getting a full custom map. The eagle eyed of you may also notice the Lost Caws frame plugs and HRC reservoir sock!

Here's a video, and a picture, showing my Tripage LED Passenger pegs and gauge cluster colour change:

#3 ·
As this year's new riding season approached, along with the yearly MOT test, I continued working on the brakes by fitting Galfer pads & Galfer wavy discs all round. I also did the HRC reservoir delete using Tygon tubing sourced from Kurveygirl. Then there was a bit of pre season TLC in the form of a quick oil change; this time to Motul 300V (10W/40), again with a K&N filter.

Prior to my MOT date, I looked up the UK motorcycle MOT requirements and noticed that my bike didn't comply as it didn't have a red rear reflector. I fabricated a new number plate backing plate from sheet aluminium. I left a small lip under the number plate so that I could stick on a small red reflector. I then painted the backing plate using black stone chip resistant paint and stuck my number plate on to it using extra strong double sided tape.

A couple of months ago, I booked my first track day and got the bike all track prepared by removing some non essential parts and fitting one of Brian's MOTY Design lightweight batteries (highly recommended)!

#4 · (Edited)
Here are some action shots from the day (excuse the very poor form!)

I'd highly recommend taking the plunge on a track day, for any of you who have been curious. You have so much more grip at your disposal that it honestly is mind boggling. You can brake ridiculously hard and turn with much more confidence than on the road. It really helped my riding but, unfortunately, I'm now hooked and track days are a tad expensive.

I also came away craving a mod: an HRC quick turn throttle. The stock throttle cam had my right arm aching after a full day at the track! My only other top tip would be to get mirror block off plates so you can remove your mirrors for track use. They really are an unwanted distraction for track riding.

The season's coming to a close here at the moment but I hope to get up to the track once every couple of months next season.

#5 ·
Again, following the theme from last year, towards the end of the season I have gone a bit mod crazy. I decided to buy some goodies and parts for an '09 front end conversion:
- HRC quick action throttle (as mentioned above; a must for track days)
- Dynojet Ignition Module
- Dynojet Linear Travel Quickshifter
- Complete '09 front end (including wheel)
- New front Goodridge carboline brake lines (to fit the new front end and radial master cylinder)

#9 · (Edited)
…And a summary of the main challenges faced during the conversion:

It was a bitch to get the brake lines into the m/c in a way where they didn't foul the air tube covers on full lock or block off access for the brake light switch wiring. A bit of fiddling and perseverance saw that one off though. Not a major issue.

The lower portion of the air duct covers also need a bit of trimming. Upside down forks will rub the stock '03-'04 air duct covers. If you have an '05-'06 bike then the air ducts are different and you shouldn't have this problem. Having said that, I don't think there's any difference (other than colour) in the 600rr forks from '05 onwards. In that case, I think this mod is more likely to be done by '03-'04 owners anyway.

The HESD mounting tab on the top yoke fouls the tank cover. Cutting into the tank cover wouldn't work as the HESD mounting tab would then foul the left hand bolt which holds the tank cover on at the front. I had to dremel the mounting tab off and painted it using some black stone chip resistant spray paint. It blended extremely well but you can still tell it's been a ghetto solution to the problem.

The other option to cure this problem is to use an '05-'06 top yoke. I think, in the long run, I will probably do this, but will go for an aftermarket top yoke.

Adjusting the throttle cables for the HRC quick action throttle was a complete PITA:

#10 ·
The radial brake m/c also needs a bit of adjustment, so it doesn't foul the fairing stay or gauge cluster. Again, with a bit of perseverance and some patience, you can see this one off:

The quickshifter and ignition module were relatively straight forward mods to do. The quick shifter comes stock with a 60ms kill time. After seeing some users recommending a 45ms kill time, I tried 50ms to begin with. After a couple of rides, I decided to go up to 55ms for smooth gear changes. 50ms was a little too rough IMO.

#11 · (Edited)
Well, here's how she currently sits:

My bike's come a long way since I bought it, but there are still a few mods on the cards:
- Ohlins rear shock
- New mount kit for my Ohlins steering damper (the '03-'04 one doesn't fit on an '05+ top yoke)
- Aftermarket top yoke (to replace my ghetto solution to the HESD mount problem)
- Powdercoated swingarm (flat black)
- Track fairings
- Custom map & suspension setup

Depending on how things go, I might also get round to some of the other mods on my dream wish list:
- Galespeed Type-R forged aluminium wheels
- STM slipper clutch
- Gilles AS31GT rearsets
- Gilles chain adjusters
- Brembo RCS front master

#15 ·
Thanks man. I thought about upgrading to either a newer 600RR or an 848 earlier this year but decided to go down the track days/excessive modification of my existing bike route.

booo blasphemy... suck it sunzoomspark :p

see you in the ban thread.

PS.
that GPR is the bee's knees :)
Blasphemy?

by the way, did GPR include a db killer for your tiburon exhaust.

i just had to purchase a $28 db killer for my thunder deeptone because i got tired of my ears bleeding.
Yep, the exhaust came with a db killer. It's never been in though. The exhaust isn't excessively loud without it anyway, plus you have to remove the end can to get the db killer in, which is a pita.

That sucks about your exhaust. I'm pretty sure the Thunder Deep Tone is the expensive, top of the range GPR so I'm surprised it didn't come with a db killer? Are you sure it wasn't just missing from your package?

#14 ·
by the way, did GPR include a db killer for your tiburon exhaust.

i just had to purchase a $28 db killer for my thunder deeptone because i got tired of my ears bleeding.

#17 · (Edited)
Upgrades!

Last night, I finished off putting the bike back together with my new shock, powder coated swing arm and a new mount for my steering damper:

Just have the chain to sort out now...

Not sure how well the damper is mounted tbh so I'll need to try that out. If need be, I may have to get an '05-'06 top yoke. Having said that, I don't think there's a huge difference (between '05-'06 and '07+) in the shape of the yoke around where the damper mount sits. The HESD holes don't interfere and I have removed the mounting tab on the yoke anyway. Road test on Sunday I think!

#20 ·
Sorry for the tardy response. It was a local business called Coatech, in Carnoustie. I didn't get a paint code; just asked for flat black. They did the rear sets, passenger pegs and swing arm for me and the paint match is excellent for the bike.

If you're in the US then I'd highly recommend Tripage if you're looking for powder coating. He'll keep you right. I would've gone to him for my powder coating if shipping wasn't so prohibitively expensive. I had a bit of a nightmare with the swingarm because I had to do all the prep myself and failed in a couple of areas, creating extra work for myself...

#21 ·
How did I miss this build?

I gotta say your project has come a long way. Great job with all the mods and front-end conversion. It looked great already in the beginning even before your trackday, but you really went all out and installed some nice goodies on there. I've never seen that slip-on before, very cool.

Reactions: Sun-Zoom-Spark
#23 ·
Well, lots of parts have been bought of late. Winter modding is on the horizon. It's a little cold in the garage to do any of the time consuming mods, but I've got enough there to keep me occupied over the winter.

In the photo:
Brembo RCS 19 master cylinder
R&G Shocktube
Probolt 19mm preload adjusters (black)
STM slipper clutch
EBC SRK clutch pack (steel & friction plates)
Galfer sintered road/race compound front brake pads
Yana Shiki triple clamp (black)
Black quick release fuel cap

Not shown are:
Valter Moto Type 2.5 rearsets with carbon heel plates (black)
Carbon hugger
Carbon chain guard
Carbon tank in fill panels

She's getting there...

#25 ·
really like what you did with your swingarm, looks sexy now

have you considered taking the black stripes off the fairings ? my bike is of the same color, and am considering taking off the stripes to give it a cleaner look

#29 ·
It's not something I've ever considered. I know Ian (xHECKSHERx) did that to his red/black bike and it looked pretty damn good though.

I reckon remove passenger pegs since you have a cowl on anyway :)

Edit: oh damn seen you got the turn signal mod in there unlucky :p
Yeah, I had them off for a while (with the stock indicators on) and the bike looked a lot cleaner. The pegs will stay on for the street but will come off for track use. Best of both worlds!

#27 ·
First time i have looked at your build thread. Geat work, bike looks incredible! :banger:

Looks great with the black lowers instead of the silver, and the powder coating that you have had done looks excellent!

Looking out for a spare rear subframe to get powdercoated black, not sure why they gave the '07 a black frame and swingarm but left the rear subframe silver?

How are you getting on with the slipper clutch install, is it in?

#30 ·
Not updated this in quite a while!

Over the winter, I've completed almost all of the mods from my last proper update.

The STM is installed, along with a new clutch pack. New brake pads on the front, Brembo RCS 19, carbon goodies, fuel cap, rearsets, shocktube and preload adjusters.

The only mod that didn't work was the Yanashiki triple clamp. These will not work on bikes with HISS. Diane, at Pero Motorsports, was very helpful though. Great customer service.

The winter modding has moved on apace. I've also fitted a new rear brake caliper (same Nissin calliper, but a black one from an '06 bike which doesn't stick out like a sore thumb). I fitted a CRF450 master cylinder whilst I was at it, and fabricated a small aluminium bracket to mount it to my rearsets properly.

The other major mod has been track plastics. I still have to tidy a few things up, but here is how she looks for the moment:

I'm getting there. These aren't the cleanest cut/finished track fairings in the world, but they'll do for track purposes. The red rim stripes will be going. I've ordered yellow ones, but then they'll end up looking crap when the street fairings are on again. Decisions, decisions!

I still have a fair bit of work to do this week coming.

[/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.