How you got into the hobby ? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > Off Topic & Flame Thrower

Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

Old 11-10-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Question How you got into the hobby ?

I'm lying down on my bed..just thinking about what i want to do. then all of sudden a flash of watching this movie on pocketbikes pops into my head. i suddenly hop onto my computer and start Google-ing and youtubing videos about pocket bikes. i soon became hooked!..After going thru 4 pocketbikes ..which i believe was within a year or two. Then one day in senior high school. a classate who already rides this Buell 1K (i think)..looks at my binder and see this page rip outta from theSportride magazines. Says " you ride too?" i anwser No, only pocketbikes....he then says" well are you going to save up and buy one?" And at that point being just a typical highschooler. i'm like WTF am i doing ? no Sh*T i should do that. started saving and sold my pocketbikes and then. . hop on craigslist. my gawddd i didnt even know about CCs .. just wanted a BIKE. type in the box "max" $1000".. and this 97 old school ninja 250 came up . i then email the guy and said. here man i have $900 cash. Boom, deal took the bike. didnt even know how to start it! welll then the story goes on and on just like any newb, i learned from searching thru the net,google,youtube, and all forum. i soon sold the 250 about 4 months after riding it and pick up and f3, and then pick up my baby . 05RR.
and till this day.. i am still pump, excited, and obess with motorcycles
My 1st: they called it the GPR;

2nd bike: G1-40 watercooled:

3rd: called simple CAG:

4th bike: the awesome' Lucky 7 " one of the best built PB'

and then the ninja:

the 97 f3:

and now the RR:

Happy Riding everyone.

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."

Last edited by Nuttynu; 11-10-2011 at 02:29 AM. Reason: update
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
xHECKSHERx
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I fell in love when I first rode my dads 1975 Honda 50cc bike, 3 speed, ****'s dope. Anywase, I always loved motorcycles( sportbikes to be specific) and when I was a senior in high school I got my motorcycle permit which led to MSF courses to get my license. Then I saved up for about 2 years and bought my first bike, which is the bike I have now. Since the day I've bought my bike, I have been obsessed with riding, looking for parts, looking at videos of motogp, Isle of Man TT, anything related with motorcycles I wanted to be apart of. I don't regret it one bit, I've met great people on trips when riding solo and will still continue to meet people. Enough of my rant....lol. Ride safe everyone!
05' 636- current
xHECKSHERx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
fallout
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Good stories!
A lot of my friends ride so naturally, i picked it up. Weird thing is when I was younger, around 19-21, I told myself I would never get a motorcycle as it is dangerous. A few years later, God himself cannot stop me front getting a bike. If I had to blame something for this addiction, I'd have to say Youtube. Watching those videos made me want a bike more than anything. I'm glad I got my bike at this age when I'm more mature and not likely to do anything stupid.
fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
The_toys
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I remember when I was 16 wanting to buy a bike but was not able to financially. Well the years went by and the thought left my head. No one I knew rode any street bikes and I had no interest in dirt at the time. On my 25th birthday I had a baby girl. Life changed drastically and she became my main concern. After a couple years of being a dad, buying a house and second car I decided I wanted a bike again. Shoped around for a few weeks and finally walked in the right shop and my bike was siting there. I told the wife that's my bike before I even got close to it.

2 years have passed and I am still obsessed with my bike. Watching bike vids and searching for bike parts. And of course learning all I can about bikes, with great help from the .net. Thanks guys and girls!
The_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Inkslingerxx
VP of Metal Operations

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
When I was 14 I got hooked on riding from me and my buddies used to take enduros up mountain trails every weekend. Pulled off some sketchy **** I wouldn't even try today. Ahh the stupidity of youth. That escalated to racing dirt bikes with friends and I've been hooked on riding every since. Never tried the pocket bike scene might check it out.

You get nothing for nothing, if that's what you do. Turn around itch I've got a use for you!
-Axle Rose

Inkslingerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Obed
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I inherited the love of motorcycles... my parents were bikers..
Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
-Rizzo-
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forget It

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I have always been into cars, and my mom said I would play with my toy cars before I could even walk. Then one day I realized how cool a motorcycle looked when it drive past me. Then I started buying motorcycle magazines and when I was going to kettering university my dad told me of I transfer to a community college to get my basics because I switched majors he would buy me a bike. So I did that and havent looked back because it saved my family tons of money going to LCC

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

2003 600RR, 14 Subaru WRX & 95 Civic CX Hatch
(
East Lansing, MI)

September 2012 BOTM

My Build
UPDATE: P. 42 (ALL MODS INSTALLED)
-Rizzo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

great stories !!

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Old 11-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
.b0link
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I was 18, just graduated high school. My brother who was 23 was determined to get his license. Found a local MSF school that provided bikes. He paid for me to go through it (very much against my mothers wishes) as a graduation present. Went through it, thought it was awesome. Week later went to the DMV and got my license.

I hadnt ridden again until after I joined the navy. My brother had picked up a garage sale special 79 Honda CB750. It didn't run and he rebuilt the carb and got it road worthy again. I was home on leave and he let me take it out. 2 weeks later I walked into a dealership (mistake) and bought a brand new 06 Kawi 650R.

3 months later I wrecked it. Spent about 6 months rebuilding it. Transferred up to Norfolk a bit later and then a few months later I finally sold it. Went to GTMO on deployment, and while there found the deal on my dream bike (08 Graffiti). Had 1027 miles on it. Got it for 6300. Transferred money to my friend who drove all the way to Jersey from Virginia to pick it up for me (awesome friend). Found out what I had been missing with the 600 Inline 4s!

Now I have transferred to Spain. Was riding streets here for a while before I met a fellow servicemember who had been doing trackdays all over Spain. Went with him one time just to hang out, and finally realized what I had truly been missing.

Couple 1000 dollar orders to STG later...here I am. Bike is now track only, and so far I have ridden Estoril and Jerez, with plans for Aragon, Portimao, Valencia, Catalunya, and Le Mans next year.

Been an awesome ride so far :)
Old 11-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Neptune
Moto GP Racer

Le Mans....

I think I was in high school when I realized that sport bikes look awesome and since then I always wanted one. I thought the R1's were awesome looking so that's what I wanted. My buddy (bigkahuna7790) said he was gonna get an R6 because they handle better and they are still fast. That was back when we didnt know anything about motorcycles haha.Then I kinda let the idea go until i got into college and got a job. I thought I'd save up for a bike. Lost the job. Oh well kinda let the dream just sit and forgot about it. Then kahuna got a street bike. And it motivated me to get mine. I wanted to save up for an 07+ CBR but I found a great deal on an 04. I've been riding for almost 2 months and I love it. I can tell its gonna cost me a lot of money haha but whatever! So 4 years later I have an 04 CBR 600 and my buddy has a triumph d675, oh and a Ducati streetfighter.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
13bRotary
AMA Supersport Racer

When I was 4 years old, my father bought me a 1986 Honda mini-trail 50cc bike. He showed me how to kickstart it, how to work the choke, how to use the front/rear brakes and how to shift of course. It was a 3 speed transmission, GP style shifting. Top speed 30mph. I rode it nearly every day of my life, rain, snow, shine, you name it. I crashed it 500 million times over the years, but it was made out of stainless and chrome steel...the thing was indestructible. I still own it, and it still runs great.

When I was 9 he upgraded me to a Kawasaki 80cc 2 stroke bike, it was fast for a 9 year old. At age 14 I got a 1985 Honda 100XL street/trail bike....slower than the 2 stroke but it had a headlight, brake light, and turn signals! Slapped an old license plate on it, rode it to school, no license, no insurance, no registration, nothing. But I was cool, I was riding a motorcycle to school while the other kids were riding the school bus. Never got caught either!

Age 21...after 4 years of saving...I hand over the cash for my 03 600RR. And here I am today

Last edited by 13bRotary; 11-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.
13bRotary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
crash277
Moto GP Racer

i was born into it. my parents have been riding forever. first bike i ever rode was my moms kawi, and the first bike i ever owned (and will forever own) is a 1970 suzuki my step dad gave me to restore.

im going to continue to ride and wrench until i stop breathing.
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13bRotary View Post
I was riding a motorcycle to school while the other kids were riding the school bus. Never got caught either
lol, exactly what i was doing to during my senior year, i rode the ninja 250 to school and back with no license nor insurance.. yeah it was risky but i took it easy..all the other kid was whispering behind me like " thats the kid riding the mo-ped". inside my head im just like, whatever you guys are just jealous!

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

Old 11-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
Skorcher27
Knee Dragger

My brother's best friend comes to our house one day when I was like 16 and had a brand spankin new 2005 r6. I thought it was the sexiest thing I had ever laid eyes on. Never really though about bikes too much before that, ya know? Just thought they were kinda cool, but didn't put much thought into it.

Soon enough my brother's friend got sick of riding only a bike and wanted a car, so he sold it to my brother for $7k. My brother never learned how to ride it and it sat in the garage collecting dust. His buddy came over one night and they asked if I wanted to learn how to ride it since I always gawked at it in the garage like a little child, so I of course said. Instantly fell in love.

The second time I rode that bike I wrecked it going about 10 mph. I downshifted from 2nd to 1st mid turn and it just tipped, but I was fine and that didn't stop me!! My brother was in the army and got moved across the country and let me continue to ride the r6 since I didn't have a car of my own. It became more than a mode of transportation, it was an addiction, and a bad one at that.

My brother moved back to Texas and didn't want to be away from that r6 anymore, so he took it back. I felt a little piece of myself die that day. I didn't have the money to buy a bike of my own, so I went from mid 2009 until august 2011 without riding. Every time I saw a bike I couldn't help but stare and lust from a distance. I tried not to think about riding, but it took me over. I dreamed about riding for the first few weeks the bike was gone. A passion had been ingrained into my DNA forever. One that my kids will surely inherit.

When I started riding again in August, I did it legit this time. Took the MSF course, bought my gear before the bike, did it 100% legal. I had to. Being in the navy I was left without a choice. I had a car that I sold to feed this eternal addiction. It was slow and guzzled gas like crazy. Didn't have that high performance attitude, that ache for more speed, the smell. Nothing will ever compare to this sport. Once you're in it, you're in it for good. I'll ride until the day I die or the day my body wont let me. If the latter, I'd almost rather not live.

Live to ride, ride to live.

Me at 16 with my neice and nephew sitting on the r6 before I ever learned how to ride.

That same r6 in my college apartment parking lot. She's a beauty.

And finally my new ride. 2006 CBR600rr

Stock 2006 with flush mounts. That's about it.

For Sale!
Bell Star Cerwinskie in Medium

Last edited by Skorcher27; 11-11-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Skorcher27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skorcher27 For This Useful Post:
Nuttynu (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #15
GRida600
Friendly Neighborhood Whore

I got into riding when I was going on a road trip with a friend and a few hours into it we stopped at a Harley dealership and he bought a bike. I didn't want a cruiser so we checked out a honda dealership and I made an impulse buy cause I wanted a bike to. Pretty much how I got where I am now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullast View Post
cbr604, you're a douche. NOBODY said anything offensive or disrespectful and you come off with blatent ignorance. Don't kill yourself on your bike. Spare the machine. Its obvious you're a wanna be E-Thug. Your mother should have swallowed you.
GRida600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:13 AM   #16
JGVasa
AMA Supersport Racer

I got really jealous when my friend in high school got a decent deal on an older Ninja 500 for a grand. I had always wanted one because riding a bike just seemed to much more appealing than a car. Who wouldn't? Better gas mileage, more unique than an average cage driver, more fun, etc etc. Got my ninja 250 a few months later, crashed it, got my CBR :)
Old 11-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #17
Nico
Administrator

Thanked 1,250 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Grew up with bikes, it was simply a natural progression as I got older.

04 600RR

Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #18
d3x19
AMA Supersport Racer

I watched an old martial arts movie in the early 90's, where this fighter took off on his bike after something dramatic, and he was riding the canyons thinking about a fight coming up... pretty intense 2min scene 👍
d3x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #19
trackfreak
World Superbike Racer

I started riding dirtbikes since I was 7 and at age 15 I somehow looked into streetbikes was gonna get the 06 cbr600rr for my 16th birthday actually filled paperwork out and everything and then mother tells me if I can afford my funeral they will buy it...lol well I couldn't afford my funeral hahaha I told my mom that on my 18th birthday I would get one so on my birthday I went over to the dealership I had cash on hand but for some stupid reason i financed ( never again) I came home with a. New graffiti edition 08 ad 3 weeks later I started doing trackdays while still in high school and grew from there.

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
trackfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #20
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,102 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Great thread, reading the OP made me happy. I forget how I got to where I'm at sometimes.

Thanks DAD! (he raced Harley hill climbers when I was a kid).

2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
TheX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
Nuttynu (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #21
awd-turbo

man about the same route as the op.. I always loved pockets bikes... never could afford one(all they had when i was in hs were the polini, and blata) a couple years later when home on leave one of my best friends had bought one of those cheap ones... i went and picked one up. we rode our development streets for two weeks! hahahaha pissing everyone off.. when the cops would come we would just turn up a bike path and never look back.. always wore a helmet. We used to talk about buying real bikes one day(i was just way to busy to ride at the time w deployments and training... so i shelved it.. few years later i got out.. now i was just broke, doing college, buying a house, and trying to make one of my hardest relationships work..... jumped jobs, started making more money. wasnt thinking about a bike at this time.. just working on the house, and buying some guns usually. a friend bought a 2004 636 i think.... he was in md, and had gotten into riding big time. THEN BAM...... got laid off! not making ****... sat around for 3 months doing interviews and all... working on the current gf house for her and her daughter(she never owned a house, so we got her a good one, just needed lots of tlc, and i had the time, so why not work on it for her and make it a home). During this time i went to the DMV and got a permit for NC(written test only needed) drooled over bikes, and looked at them all... fell in love with the honda because of the undertail exhaust.. finally Target came back with a job offer... good money.. I worked for a week.... then next week i got paid(fell in right on the middle of the pay period) with my check, a week worth of money(not a whole lot) i called USAA... they have everything of mine and always... they have been great towards me and anything that i needed esp when i needed to start my credit... which i really didnt do till i was about 23! always lived on the if i dont have the cash for it i dont need it. they quoted me with 6.25% 100% loan... i didnt have a penny to give them.. lol
walked into the dealership and bought my first bike at the age of 27. a good thing i waited till that age, i was always labeled as the crazy one, just did what i wanted.. i prob would have killed myself if i had bought it earlier in life.

So the sales guy brings it to the back to wash it and fill it up... 1 mile on the fucker... we go back and he says to me, do you have any questions?? with my gf there i said how do you start the fucker! hahahahaha needles to say gf made me ride it around the parking lot for like 10 min... i hit the open road and never looked back... got just over 9k on her now.... bought a tard back in sept... with about 700 miles on it... shes got just over 2k on her now... I have only laided it down once at about 2mph pulling into my drive way... from low speed and gravel and me not paying to much attention.. looking to do track in the up and coming year since a lot of bills are all paid off..
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nuttynu (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #22
djacksoncbr600
Super Moderator

All the cool kids were doing it.

2007- Wrecked
2008 Orange- DD/track
2 Bro slip on
PCIII
Flush mounts
FE
Puig smoke wind screen
ASV Shorties Black
Vortex rear sets
To come:
Brake lines
Rotors
Clip-ons
HID
and a few other things.
djacksoncbr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #23
13bRotary
AMA Supersport Racer

Here's me on my very first motorcycle, that thing was my best friend! Age approx 5 years:
13bRotary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #24
03cbr-rider
Moto GP Racer

Motorcycles I've always loved since I can remember. I just never liked choppers or cruisers. I've owned one pocket bike, a mini bike, two dirt bikes, and three sport bikes over a relatively short period of time. I will always be purchasing more and more as it's no longer a hobby, but rather a passion. I don't care where I ride, on the street, track, or dirt. I don't care what I'm doing with the bike either. It's great teaching yourself more and more each year from all aspects of the sport.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:15 AM   #25
trackfreak
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
Motorcycles I've always loved since I can remember. I just never liked choppers or cruisers. I've owned one pocket bike, a mini bike, two dirt bikes, and three sport bikes over a relatively short period of time. I will always be purchasing more and more as it's no longer a hobby, but rather a passion. I don't care where I ride, on the street, track, or dirt. I don't care what I'm doing with the bike either. It's great teaching yourself more and more each year from all aspects of the sport.
I'm pretty much on the same boat! :)

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
trackfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #26
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Some really great stories guys...motorcycle was an obession, but i think its more of a passion to me now.

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

Old 11-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #27
crash277
Moto GP Racer

for my daughter....

(she asked what i was reading and said to tell you guys how SHE got into riding).

"my dad has owned, rode and fixed bikes since before i was born. my mom said im not allowed to ride on the back of his bikes until im 10, so for christmas last year he got me and my little brother a PW50. my brother is too short so dad got him a 50cc 4 wheeler. this summer i rode the **** outta it (im paraphrasing). in 2 weeks i maxed out the throttle and exhaust restrictions, and my dad wants to get me riding on a bike with a clutch next year, so i can learn all the fundamental requirements of operating a motorcycle. we are also going to take me and my mini bike to the motorcycle school course next year so i can learn all the stuff i will need to ride on the street in 9 years"

she didnt tell me what to type LoL.

but thats how she started!!
crash277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crash277 For This Useful Post:
Nuttynu (11-11-2012)
Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #28
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
man about the same route as the op.. I always loved pockets bikes... never could afford one(all they had when i was in hs were the polini, and blata
those are the expensive pocketbikes..

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #29
weStTXgrEase_mOnKay
I'm a pretty lady!!!

Always been into cars and trucks. A few months ago a friend of mine bought a 250 ninja. One day i go over and he ask me if i wanna ride and im like sure but how the fk do you do it. Hes like heres the throttle, brokes, clutch ect ect now let me see you haul ass. I was like ummmmm okay. Picked up my 08rr last saturday.

2W1R elCapitan

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try!"
Alexander the Great

"You can go to hell, I'm going to TEXAS!!" Davy Crockett

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Happy Catholic

weStTXgrEase_mOnKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #30
weStTXgrEase_mOnKay
I'm a pretty lady!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
All the cool kids were doing it.
And they still are!!!!

2W1R elCapitan

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try!"
Alexander the Great

"You can go to hell, I'm going to TEXAS!!" Davy Crockett

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Happy Catholic

weStTXgrEase_mOnKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement