How-to: Install UniqueMotoLights Mini H1 Projector kit into 07-12 CBR600RR headlights : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > DIY Write up's

DIY Write up's This forum should be used for any step by step descriptions of a job you are tackling. Pictures are a big help to clarify the process

Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
borka
Vendor

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How-to: Install UniqueMotoLights Mini H1 Projector kit into 07-12 CBR600RR headlights

This post contains the instructions on how to install our UniqueMotoLights Mini H1 HID projector kit into your 2007 - 2012 Honda CBR 600RR headlights.

You may use this post as a support forum for installation questions as well, and i will try to answer any questions that may arise.

This install is not difficult at all, just follow these instructions.

I offer professional installation as well, you can send me in your headlights and i will install this kit, add any options you want like angel eyes, dual angle eyes, Audi Style LED Strips, On/Off switch etc... and will return your headlight to you completely assembled and plug and play.

Installation starts at only $150 + any additional options you choose.

For more information about the kit or to purchase yours please see this post:
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=261180

My website to order is:
http://www.UniqueMotoLights.com

This How-to is still work in progress, so i will be periodically adding new info.

* When i say Right or Left headlight its always from the point of view while sitting on the bike *

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets start with the angel eyes;

For single angel eyes set you will receive two 83mm rings and 2 inverters, you will need to glue the angel eyes to the projector shrouds, using clear Silicone.
For Dual angel eyes you will also receive two 95mm rings.

Remove shrouds from projectors, by unscrewing the screws from the rear of the projectors.
Fish wires through the gaps as shown, very important you want the breaks in the angel eyes to be hidden, so for the right headlight place the wires to the right of the middle big hump on the shroud and for the left headlight to the left of the middle hump on the shroud. Find the hump which points up at 12 o'clock.

Apply silicone on the rear of the ring, all around the shroud on the extending humps of the shroud. tape in a few spots and let it dry.

For dual angel eyes, place the 95mm ring over the shroud.

Tape it in a few spots and also apply clear silicone all round on the extending humps of the shroud.

Look at the open headlight, this is the angle you need to tape the angel eyes, so the wires and gaps will be hidden once the lens is on.

If installing Flexible LED strips, simply silicone them facing forward like this:

Put shrouds on the projectors and secure them with the supplied screws.

Now onto the projector install:

I recommend you do this one headlight at a time.

Preheat oven for 10 minutes to 225 degrees.
Place headlight on a towel and put in center of oven with temperature set at 225 degrees for 8 minutes.
put some gloves on, and remove headlight from oven.
Dont waste any time, and dont let the headlight cool down as the glue will harden again.
Using a few flat head screw drivers or a putty knife and a screw driver pry the headlight open.
You might need to reheat the headlight several times until the lens is removed.

borka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to borka For This Useful Post:
CBRoth (07-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
borka
Vendor

Remove the reflectors by turning the three bolts on the rear of the headlight, turn each one 3 circles and go onto the next one, do not simply unscrew one completely and then unscrew the next, you need to work your way around little by little.

Remove the three plastic inserts, they simply slide off.

You will need to slide these same inserts onto the projector mounting plates.
The mounting plates are thicker than the original reflectors, so you will need to slightly cut the plastic inserts.
DONT cut too much you want these inserts to fit very snug on the mounting plates, so using a box cutter or utility knife, cut little by little untill the inserts will slide into the mounting plates.
You need to use a little force to slide them on, as you want them to fit tight.

Now, cut off the H7 plug from the headlight pigtail, and remove the wires from the headlight.

Insert mounting plate into the headlight and tighten using the 3 adjuster bolts on the back of the headlight.
turn each bolt 3-5 turns and go to the next one, work your way around.
back them in all the way.

be very gentle, you dont want to strip the delicate plastic thread on the inserts.

Last edited by borka; 01-07-2012 at 11:19 AM.
CBRoth (07-13-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
borka
Vendor

Insert projector into the mounting hole, fish wires through the square hole, put on the H4 adapter place, and hand tighten the rear nut.
Dont make it very tight as you still need to adjust the projectors later.

Now you will need to power up the projectors and align them for the cut off to be completely horizontal. dont worry about how high or low they shine, you will adjust this using the 3 adjustment bolts on the rear of the headlight once the headlight is all assembled and back on the bike.

Here you have two options, either mount the open headlights back on the bike, or remove your fairing stay and mount the headlights to the fairing stay.

*Clean the H1 bulbs with the supplied alcohol pads.*

Place the fairing stay mounted headlights on a level surface, like a desk or table.
Or install the headlight back on the bike

remove rear nut from the rear of the projectors, apply high temp locktite to projector thread, hand tighten the nut

bring your bikes battery, connect the supplied ballast test leads to the battery, insert H1 bulb into projector and connect to ballast.
Dont worry about the bulb holders, just hold the bulb by hand.

**Do not connect ballast to test lead untill the bulb is also plugged into the ballast!!**

Connect the test lead to the ballast and shine the light onto a wall, make sure the wall is at least 10 ft away.

Turn the projector by hand until light is completely horizontal, then disconnect the test lead from ballast, and tighten rear nut using locking pliers.

*** DO NOT CLAMP DOWN ON THE REAR NUT!! IT WILL BEND!. SIMPLY APPLY SOME PRESSURE USING THE PLIERS AND TURN UNTILL TIGHT AND THE PROJECTOR DOES NOT EASILY TURN BY HAND***

now do the same thing for the second projector.

You are now ready to put the lenses back on.

put headlight lenses back on, press them in by hand, they will not go all the way in.

preheat oven at 225 degrees for 10 minutes, put headlight on a towel and into the oven for 8 minutes.
remove from oven, and press the lenses in fully.
you might want to wrap the lenses with some painters tape real tight around the headlight assembly untill the glue hardens again.

Last edited by borka; 01-16-2012 at 12:59 AM.
CBRoth (07-13-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
borka
Vendor

now that the headlights are sealed, we will install the rear dust caps.
Your stock dust caps will not fit, you need to use the previous generation 03-06 600rr dust caps.
They are available through us as a convenience item, at only $15/pair, or at your local honda dealer.

You need to fish the white angel eyes wires, led strips wires, and the red/black high low controller wires through the dust cap plug, located on your HID bulb.
your angel eye wire will come with the plugs off, so simply fish them through the hole and snap the wires into the supplied plugs.
The red/black wires will have the plug on them, which is easy to remove, you will need to use a pin or a very small screw driver to collapse 2 little flaps on the inside of the plug.
Take a look at the picture below, these are the two little wings you need to press in, in order to remove the wires from the plugs.

You will need to cut off this part from the cbr dust caps, in order to fit the plug on the hid bulb.
simply cut this off, and then squeeze the plug into there.

put the cbr caps into the headlight, they will squeeze into place.

I recommend to silicone the surrounding, for a better seal.

Last edited by borka; 01-16-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
borka
Vendor

Electrical:

Here is everything labeled:

1. Connect both White low beam + to Low beam + pigtail
2. Connect both Blue high beam + to high beam + pigtail
3. Connect both Halo red + to low beam + pigtail
4. Connect both Halo black - to low beam ground - pigtail
5. all other connections self explanatory.

that's it.

Here is how to wire using a simple on/off switch to turn off low beam HID's to have only halo's on, or to start the bike with hid's off to avoid stressing the battery.
The blue plugs in the picture are from an R6, but its the same thing for the 600RR. Just connect to the correct wires as per picture above.

Last edited by borka; 01-16-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
borka
Vendor

reserved 10char 4
Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Cadoo
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So were do you plug the white wires from the angel eyes? To the battery? And do you have to buy a switch or what? Please explain the halo wires. Thanks!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
borka
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadoo View Post
So were do you plug the white wires from the angel eyes? To the battery? And do you have to buy a switch or what? Please explain the halo wires. Thanks!!

The white wires go into the halo inverters, the inverters usually plug into you low beams, but that depends how you want them to work.

This post is not finished yet, I will post the rest tomorrow evening, including the electrical, which is real easy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borka For This Useful Post:
Afrobaron (01-08-2012), Cadoo (01-07-2012), wolfzrr (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
wolfzrr
Knee Dragger

This is cool. I have my front end apart so now may be the time. What is turn around time?
wolfzrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
Cadoo
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzrr View Post
This is cool. I have my front end apart so now may be the time. What is turn around time?
i think you order the kit from him and install the kit yourself, no?
Cadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
borka
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzrr View Post
My typical turnaround for installation is 1-2 weeks, depending on how many orders i get that week.

Quote:
i think you order the kit from him and install the kit yourself, no?
There are two options, you cen either buy the full kit and install it yourself,
Or you can mail me your headlight, and i will install everything, and add custom options, like led strips, blackout projector shrouds, install an on/off switch, and make everything plug and play.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Itsme71190
Knee Dragger

so for the plug n play we Have to send you our light?

Itsme71190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
borka
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme71190 View Post
so for the plug n play we Have to send you our light?
once i finish the How-to, just follow all directions which show how to install and wire everything. if you do it yourself and follow the how-to your end result should be the same as sending me your headlights.

How can i make your headlights plug and play if i dont have your headlights and i am only sending you the kit?

plug and play means that i install everything, into your headlights, and do all the electrical wiring, so when you get everything back, you just install the headlights, connect the wires, plug everything in, and go ride.

I cannot do this if i dont have your headlights
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
volcom440
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
nice write up so far and amazing work, i'll have to invest in these one day.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
Itsme71190
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by borka View Post
once i finish the How-to, just follow all directions which show how to install and wire everything. if you do it yourself and follow the how-to your end result should be the same as sending me your headlights.

How can i make your headlights plug and play if i dont have your headlights and i am only sending you the kit?

plug and play means that i install everything, into your headlights, and do all the electrical wiring, so when you get everything back, you just install the headlights, connect the wires, plug everything in, and go ride.

I cannot do this if i dont have your headlights

yep my bad, i didnt see you include harnesses aswell. ah... SOON!!!!!

Itsme71190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
Cadoo
Training Wheel Hero

how does your projectors compare 2 sportbikelites.com CHANGING HYPER LED HALO PROJECTOR EYES KIT? I have the money to buy yours are theres but then I came acroos alot of pissed off people who bought there lights and are not happy. So tell me how yours stacks up please. need to hurry and order either from them or you. Thanks caleb wynn...

here is a bad review on them
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/produ...bikelites.html

and another
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-m...lites-com.html

Last edited by Cadoo; 01-10-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
borka
Vendor

Quote:
how does your projectors compare 2 sportbikelites.com CHANGING HYPER LED HALO PROJECTOR EYES KIT? I have the money to buy yours are theres but then I came acroos alot of pissed off people who bought there lights and are not happy. So tell me how yours stacks up please. need to hurry and order either from them or you. Thanks caleb wynn...

here is a bad review on them
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/produ...bikelites.html

and another
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-m...lites-com.html
The projectors that sportbikelites uses are not even in the same league as these Mini H1's that i am using for these kits. their projectors are MUCH smaller, and dont even compare in performance, and light output.

For this kit i am using the best available projectors that will fit into these headlights, the Mini H1's, they are the same projectors as the Morimoto Mini H1's sold by the retrofit source, but my price is much better, and my kit includes all the required components needed for the retrofit.

One very important tip, NEVER buy anything that you cant see what exactly is that you are getting, sportbikelitez, only has a bunch of generic pictures with no exact product pictures. thats a big red flag.

here is what you are getting with my kit:

let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Cadoo
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for talking to me... Ordered the blue angel eye with 8000 Hid kit....
Old 01-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
borka
Vendor

Quote:
Thanks for talking to me... Ordered the blue angel eye with 8000 Hid kit....
It was good talking to you, your kit was shipped today.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #20
Cadoo
Training Wheel Hero

So is the write up finished? I didn't see the pic you were talking about that shows how to take the wire out of the black connector using a small pin and folding a flap. Got my kit looks good. Want to start on Sunday. Just wondering if yr gonna put more info up. Also why do we have to take the whole fairing stay off? Can't we test the light to make it horizontal on the bike, or without the fairing stay? Thx in advanced...

Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
borka
Vendor

Quote:
So is the write up finished? I didn't see the pic you were talking about that shows how to take the wire out of the black connector using a small pin and folding a flap. Got my kit looks good. Want to start on Sunday. Just wondering if yr gonna put more info up. Also why do we have to take the whole fairing stay off? Can't we test the light to make it horizontal on the bike, or without the fairing stay? Thx in advanced...

i will be finishing up the how to today.

you dont have to take the fairing stay off, you can also mount the open headlights back on the bike, then turn them on, and turn the projectors untill both light beams are horizontal.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
fallout
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wow. Great detailed writeup. Even useful for those who don't use your kit.
Now if I can only find a pair to put my headlights in the oven.
fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
borka
Vendor

The rest of the instructions and electrical is posted.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #24
helghast7
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sweet, thank fuckin god i found this thread, ive been wanting to do this so bad, but i dont trust myself enough to do it, im not quite ready yet but when i am, could you give me an estimate of parts and labor for a halo/projector install with the reflectors blacked out, plug and play please

one other question i have though, when it is hooked up how will everything function with my oem buttons? halos on all times? right on all times, left on when flip the high beam switch like oem? or different? or can you customize this?
07' CBR600RR
89' ex500-gf's ride
99' accord coupe
more to come soon
helghast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
borka
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast7 View Post
sweet, thank fuckin god i found this thread, ive been wanting to do this so bad, but i dont trust myself enough to do it, im not quite ready yet but when i am, could you give me an estimate of parts and labor for a halo/projector install with the reflectors blacked out, plug and play please

one other question i have though, when it is hooked up how will everything function with my oem buttons? halos on all times? right on all times, left on when flip the high beam switch like oem? or different? or can you customize this?
Hey,

I can wire this any way you want, just tell me how you want everything to work.

What i typically do for 90% of my customers, is i wire both headlights to be on for low beams, and both on for high beams.
Your factory switch will remain the same, low beam position gives both headlights low beams, and high beam position both headlights high beam.
Angel Eyes/Halos are usually wired to the low beam signal, so they are always on with low beams and turn off with high beams.
I also typically prewire a switch, so you can turn off your headlights and have only halo's on.

send me a PM when you are ready, and let me know what options you want, and ill give you a total price with parts, labor, and wiring everything plug and play.

Last edited by borka; 01-16-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #26
Close Assault
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks awesome. I've always wanted headlights like these! Something would always break though whenever I had the money. :(
Close Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #27
dasnicholas
Knee Dragger

So just a tip, when your installing the new dustcaps, get a piece of duct tape ready. Install the new dust cap by wiggling it in to the back of the light, than with one hand holding it down, grab the duct tape and put it over it so it stays in place. Than apply silicon around the outside of it where the duct tape doesn't touch.

I had a really hard time getting the dustcap on before I ended up just taping them down, than siliconing them
Old 03-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
majAndres
Training Wheel Hero

Why didn't you use a rubber washer (absorbs vibrations) between the projector and the mounting plate?
majAndres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #29
borka
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by majAndres View Post
Why didn't you use a rubber washer (absorbs vibrations) between the projector and the mounting plate?
there is no vibration between the projector and the mounting plate, as its mounted pretty solid, metal to metal.

if you introduce a rubber washer between the projector and the plate, you are creating wiggle space, and thus actually adding to the vibrations, as the projector now will have room to actually move.
UV Filtering Quartz Glass plug and play 35w and 55w premium hid kits.
www.bkmoto.com
Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
majAndres
Training Wheel Hero

Will having the white wires from the angel eyes resting on the bowl have any effect on the wires?
majAndres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement