** Official GYM/FITNESS thread ** : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > Off Topic & Flame Thrower

Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
** Official GYM/FITNESS thread **

Anything fitness, working out related post up here. Ill quote unquote "moderate" lol since it seems like a pretty scarce subject here.

Got a nagging injury? Post it here
Got a cool new workout? Post it here
Want advice? Post it here
Wanna loose 5lbs? I got the diet for you
Want a ripped body? Lets get you going in the right direction

Article: "Building the body"

Its all about the CNS. The Central Nervous System. Its what regulates homeostasis in your body. When you weight train, your basically applying trauma to your body! This trauma is what forces the body to react and compensate for the trauma. The key is to control the CNS and make it do what you want!

Here is hands down 100% the key to building muscle. Its a secret that nobody in the industry really cares to break down because its hard to explain, test, and prove to consumers. And everyone wants that "quick fix" that this secret doesnt really cater too, but over just a few months time the results blow away anything people want to hear.

..ready? Here it is. The secret of building a good body is manipulation. You do this by manipulating the body in 3 ways.

-Trauma/ Stimulus
-Diet
-Rest

The first step is giving your body a reason to compensate. Giving too little wont force your body to do anything. Too much will force it to shut down. The key is the middle. P90x says they do a good job at this, but what they are really doing is keeping you from getting bored, and forcing you to burn calories making you leaner, making u feel like you are getting results. But here were talking about building muscle. You cant have a good body without good muscle. Otherwise your just skinny
What we want to do it build the lines in the body. And we do this by creating trauma, forcing the body to cope. The best way to do this is with intensity with weights! Bench press, squats and deadlifts all put a load on the body. By liftiing heavy weight (and i mean safely) we put the best amount of trauma on the body. Best, not MOST! When u lift these wieghts, it has to be a struggled Victory! Victory as in completing the set, and struggled as in it is HARD to win. If u dont struggle you dont create the stimulus needed to grow, but if you dont win the battle you are entering "failure zone". Tho too much failure and the body will give up trying to win! Too easy and the body doesnt need to compensate!

Next is diet! The CNS can only do it job if i has enough energy. You burn calories just by living. The CNS has to have energy to build the muscle it needs or else it will start the shut-down phase. Proteins are the building blocks of muscle. However, without the proper fats and carbohydrates the task is IMPOSSIBLE! There are 3,500 calories in a pound. That means if u want to gain 1 pound of muscle, you need to eat 3,500 more calories than you burn. In order for the CNS to do its job, it needs more calories in than out. And it is very good at regulating this. The typical muscle building diet suggests 1.5 grams of protein for every pound you weigh. For instance, if a 180 pound male wants to build muscle, he will need to eat a minimum of 270 grams of protein a day. But what about the carbs and fat that are soo important? How much of thoes do you need to eat? It simple. Eat the same amount of grams of carbs as protein, but only a fourth as many grams of fat. Back to the 180 pound male.
270 g protein
270 g carbs
70 g fat

Following these guidelines, you should be able to gain about 1 pound of muscle or more per week! However, under-eating could cause the opposite! If the CNS tries to overcome the stimulus you give it, but doesnt have the building blocks required.. it will quickly shut down all muscle building opportunities and use the calories to survive rather than build muscle!

Lastly is rest or sleep! All workouts revolve around resting the muscle groups on a weekly basis to promote growth. Workouts are based on 2 things. Frequency and volume! Frequency is based on how often a muscle group is worked on a 7 day pattern. Volume is the number of sets the muscle group is worked in a 7 day period. 4 day splits are very popular because they offer the perfect amount of frequency and volume in order to control the CNS. They hit the muscle hard 1 day out of the week! This is the best amount of stimulus to promote growth! AND they give the CNS 6 days to fully build the muscle and compensate for the trauma! With a 4 day split, volume is high! 8-15 sets for large muscle groups and 4-8 sets for smaller muscles. Now to sleep! The body does numerous things while it is asleep, one of the main things is getting ready for the next day. If the right stimulus is applied, and we give our body enough energy to build the muscle then at night time your body should have a hay day! When you sleep (especially REM sleep) there is no energy being expended. This is the perfect opportunity for the body to build muscle and store up for the next day! Sleeping 8 hours a night with ample calories in your stomach is one of the best ways for letting the manipulated CNS do its job!
Lastly, and sometimes most overlooked is deloading. We hit the 4 day split hard for 8 weeks! We eat like a greek god! And we give our body proper rest! But after a while the body needs to get back on its feet! This is were deloading comes in! Deloading is the best way for the body to gear up for another 8 weeks of pure muscle building! Its simple to do. Simply dont lift weights. Use a full 7 days to vacation, relax, get ahead for the month and of course RIDE!
Thats it! The secret of CNS manipulation comes down to just a few cliff notes!
- Train with the right intensity
- Give your body the right building blocks to do its job
- Recover properly!

Last edited by RespectTheBike; 03-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.
RespectTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RespectTheBike For This Useful Post:
C-villeJRock (07-14-2012), Fly_Killer (04-09-2012), neRRvy (04-10-2013), ninja rr (05-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm down to give insider knowledge!

-qteter
qteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qteter View Post
I'm down to give insider knowledge!

-qteter
check out this article i read today
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._back_training
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,100 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I go 10 times a week, and eat better than 99% of humans. Fitness is an obsession. Weights and strength at 5am, cardio and endurance in the afternoon. In fact, I have 90 minutes of cycling drill starting at 4:00.

2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
TheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
I go 10 times a week, and eat better than 99% of humans. Fitness is an obsession. Weights and strength at 5am, cardio and endurance in the afternoon. In fact, I have 90 minutes of cycling drill starting at 4:00.
Ha joke right?

-qteter
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
10 times a week? do you train for endurance or purely physical health or something?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheBike View Post
check out this article i read today
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._back_training
Sounds like my back workout already!

-qteter
Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Sounds like my back workout already!

-qteter
you must be well developed then
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
mixar
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm in: I'd like to lose 10lbs. What diet do you have for me? What is your take on snacking over meals?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
you must be well developed then
Yes. But not jacked like those guys cause I'm all natural and I don't go for bulk as much as I do that athletic fit look! However strds have been an option and my debate still remains since I have an unlimited source... We could go on forever about that though lol

-qteter
Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixar View Post
I'm in: I'd like to lose 10lbs. What diet do you have for me? What is your take on snacking over meals?
Cut your sugars and carbs down and exercise 20-60 mins a day, 3+ days a week. Eat more at the beginning of the day and less at night. If u loose 1 pound per week your doing good!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Yes. But not jacked like those guys cause I'm all natural and I don't go for bulk as much as I do that athletic fit look! However strds have been an option and my debate still remains since I have an unlimited source... We could go on forever about that though lol

-qteter
How old are you? Stats? I know what u mean lol ive always been natty too. I train for strength and aesthetics... not trying to be huge nomsayin?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixar View Post
I do personal training as a second job and am very well read up... Here is my own personal guide when I do cutting cycles:

SPRING CUTTING
No red meat
No sweets (candy, ice cream, cookies, ect)
No processed food
No fast food
No high fats & less carbs (unless healthy) incl:
-no pizza
-less pastas
-less taquitos
-less alcohol
-no soda or sugar/empty carb drinks
-minimal cheese

DO WORK!

You want to try an consume a gram of protein per pound you weigh.. Carbs should never be depleted and fats such as those in nuts are perfectly fine and recommended! Tons of fish, chicken, and nuts!
Drink skim milk or 1%
Lots of fiber! Fiber one and kashi go lean is great!
Look into Greek yogurt! Chobani is my favorite
Lastly, eat as many vegetables as you want.
*dark chocolate is healthy in the right amounts

To speed up your metabolism, eat many small meals a day including 3 medium size ones and drink tons of water (you may notice a weight increase at first but as you body becomes used to it and your muscle mass increases your body will naturally start to catch up)

Hope this helped! Any clarifications or further questions id be happy to help with

-qteter
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

^^ Great advice. Dont forget oatmeal and egg whites tho!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
^^ Great advice. Dont forget oatmeal and egg whites tho!
Yes Cept egg whites leave out a lot of vitamins! Interesting fact about oatmeal: if you eat it raw, it becomes something called a "resistance fiber".. Basically runs through your body as a fiber! This is also seen in green bananas, potatoes that have been baked an then cooled, tons of things just do your research on it!

-qteter
Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Yes Cept egg whites leave out a lot of vitamins! Interesting fact about oatmeal: if you eat it raw, it becomes something called a "resistance fiber".. Basically runs through your body as a fiber! This is also seen in green bananas, potatoes that have been baked an then cooled, tons of things just do your research on it!

-qteter
I eat 2-1 with egg whites and yolks. 2 whites to a yolk or a dozen eggs put into a bowl comes out to 12 egg whites 6 yolks for me. fiber is overrated IMO. Its an over priced great way to keep your bowls regular lol. Its a "hype" thing. Its simply a low glycemic food.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
mykill
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I workout.

mykill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
I eat 2-1 with egg whites and yolks. 2 whites to a yolk or a dozen eggs put into a bowl comes out to 12 egg whites 6 yolks for me. fiber is overrated IMO. Its an over priced great way to keep your bowls regular lol. Its a "hype" thing. Its simply a low glycemic food.
That's an awesome way to make your eggs!
Fiber is important in digestion and keeping you full.. Too much protein and not enough fiber can lead to major problems

-qteter
Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
Thatguy27
Pocketbike Racer

I hit the gym 6 days a week. Try to get 20 miles of running in a week as well but the past few months I've cut down to 10 a week since I'm trying to add a little more weight before my spring cut.
Thatguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
How old are you? Stats? I know what u mean lol ive always been natty too. I train for strength and aesthetics... not trying to be huge nomsayin?
I'm 20, 5'10" 180lbs between 7-10% body fat.. You?
Yeah although sometimes I do wanna be like those dudes that are monsters lol

-qteter
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
I'm 20, 5'10" 180lbs between 7-10% body fat.. You?
Yeah although sometimes I do wanna be like those dudes that are monsters lol

-qteter
well id like to be like this sometimes lol whole grain pastas, brown rice, and almonds are a great way to get necessary fibers. Im about 6'2 and i was just at 195 a few months ago before a bunch of setbacks that basically left me unable to train. I decided if i couldnt lift id get lean lol so i dropped hella weight down to about 170 and now im bulking back up... im at 175 right now. ive been lifting at my appt gym that isnt that bad just no barbells for the last 3 weeks. cant wait to get back into "my" gym haha hopefully in 2-4 weeks or so

Last edited by RespectTheBike; 02-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.
RespectTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
JGVasa
AMA Supersport Racer

Been lifting on and off for a few years, trying to stay more consistent now. Shooting for a full body routine, 3x a week with cardio thrown in on off days when possible. Working well so far for at least not letting me get "out of shape".
The Following User Says Thank You to JGVasa For This Useful Post:
ZachCBR (12-17-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #23
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
well id like to be like this sometimes lol whole grain pastas, brown rice, and almonds are a great way to get necessary fibers. Im about 6'2 and i was just at 195 a few months ago before a bunch of setbacks that basically left me unable to train. I decided if i couldnt lift id get lean lol so i dropped hella weight down to about 170 and now im bulking back up... im at 175 right now. ive been lifting at my appt gym that isnt that bad just no barbells for the last 3 weeks. cant wait to get back into "my" gym haha hopefully in 2-4 weeks or so
Ha me too! I use my apartment gym! I get real creative

-qteter
Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVasa View Post
Been lifting on and off for a few years, trying to stay more consistent now. Shooting for a full body routine, 3x a week with cardio thrown in on off days when possible. Working well so far for at least not letting me get "out of shape".
Good job man! You will get hooked eventually
Quote:
Ha me too! I use my apartment gym! I get real creative

-qteter
Oh yea, like last night trying to figure out a way to hit my back harder.... all i got is a gazillion weighted pullups and some maxed out rows lol
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
fraschusa
Knee Dragger

Ok- would certainly be open to get your opinion on a PT plan /ptions on my latest injury...(skiing!) broken right tib and fib with the tib being shattered in 8 pcs at the head. Developned compartment syndrome early on but large incisions releaved the pressure- looks like no permanent damage and its now all closed up again. Due to the CS I still have external fixation but the plan is to get all the hardware inside later this week. I suspect my knee will be pretty frozen after 2 weeks, Doc's say no weight on the leg for at least 10-12 wks...hmmm WSBK and Moto GP guys are on a much highly accelerated schedule- any thoughts and no I don't have a hyperbermic chamber at home ;-)
fraschusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #26
RespectTheBike
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraschusa View Post
Ok- would certainly be open to get your opinion on a PT plan /ptions on my latest injury...(skiing!) broken right tib and fib with the tib being shattered in 8 pcs at the head. Developned compartment syndrome early on but large incisions releaved the pressure- looks like no permanent damage and its now all closed up again. Due to the CS I still have external fixation but the plan is to get all the hardware inside later this week. I suspect my knee will be pretty frozen after 2 weeks, Doc's say no weight on the leg for at least 10-12 wks...hmmm WSBK and Moto GP guys are on a much highly accelerated schedule- any thoughts and no I don't have a hyperbermic chamber at home ;-)
thats injury recovery and rehab, i dont have knowledge or experience in that field yet until i get to grad school.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
thats injury recovery and rehab, i dont have knowledge or experience in that field yet until i get to grad school.
I don't either.. My guess is you will be doing a lot in the pool

-qteter
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #28
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Ha joke right?

-qteter
Why the hell would I be joking?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #29
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
10 times a week? do you train for endurance or purely physical health or something?
To improve my quality of life, my track riding and overall fitness.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #30
Neptune
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Great thread! I was wondering when one of these would pop up! I just started back at the gym a month or so ago. But just recently I've been getting my diet locked in. Before this, about 5 months ago I was into gym 5-6 days a week for 2 years. Saw a lot of results and now im just trying to get back in it. Im doing the 5x5, just started yesterday and am enjoying it so far. I do the 5x5 three times a week and the other three days I will be doing HIIT on the treadmill. Hoping for excellent results with that program and with my diet.
Advertisement