Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

R&G Aero Crash Protectors – Product Review & How To Guide…

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tater S 
#1 ·
R&G Aero Crash Protectors – Product Review & How To Guide…

Review…

Why did you decide to buy this product?

I have always fitted crash protectors to my bikes and given that I have been unfortunate enough to lowside on a couple of trackdays over the years they are a worthwhile investment. They have definitely saved me the expense of having to pay for new engine covers and fairings.

I have always used R&G products as they are of high quality and work well in the event of a get off. That said, this set has an aero design, look pretty good and are well finished.

Where did you buy this product?

From my Honda dealer in the UK for £61.99

Would I recommend to others?

Yes. If you are in the market for crash protection I would highly recommend R&G. Even though a small fairing modification is required it’s a small sacrifice to make given the cost of purchasing OEM fairing replacements or new engine covers.

Product Code: CP0245BL (Also available in white)

How to fit…

You will need the following tools:

Set of metric allen/hex keys.
Socket set to include 17mm and 19mm A/F socket and wrench.
Torque wrench upto 40nm.
Phillips and flat head screwdrivers.
28mm Holesaw

LH side:

1. Remove lower fairing (solid coloured piece only).

2. Loosen the appropriate engine bolt and paint or tippex the bolt head. Make sure you loosen enough so when you place the fairing back into position the inside of fairing is marked by the paint.

3. Using a 28mm holesaw carefully drill through the fairing with the pilot drill only using the paint mark to find the centre position of the engine bolt.

4. Replace the fairing and ensure the pilot hole is central to the engine mount hole.

5. Remove the fairing and while supporting it carefully drill through it from the outside with the holesaw. Take your time as you do not want to get this bit wrong!

6. Deburr the hole and ensure the smaller spigot of the crash protector fits through the hole.

7. Remove the engine bolt.

8. Replace the fairing.

9. Install the longer M12 (130mm) bolt with a washer, followed by a shake proof washer, into the bobbin counter bore, place the longer spacer over the free end of bolt and install the assembly through your neatly deburred hole and into the engine mounting hole. Tighten the engine bolt until you feel some compression from inside the crash protector.

10. Completely tighten the engine bolt. R&G recommend you torque the bolt to no more than 40nm. Over-tightening could damage the bike and/or crash protector.

11. Finally insert the cap complete with affixed R&G logo to cover the fitment.

RH side:

1. Repeat steps 1 to 8 above as the fairing modification is exactly the same on both sides.

2. Install the shorter M12 (110mm) bolt and follow the rest of step 9, 10 and 11.

Before:

After:

My CBR600RR Modification/Build Thread:
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=267974

See less See more
#4 ·
R&G Aero Crash Protectors

I used the exact same method as described above and just took my time. The hole you are required to drill may appear quite large when you make it but when you fit the crash protector it covers any evidence of cutting to the fairings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.