How to unlock the "LOCK" on bikes..???? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 07-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
PsyKotiC RydeR
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to unlock the "LOCK" on bikes..????

Hey, guys. Last night ended in a rather chitty way with my best freind's bike being stolen. It was a MINT 2002 YZF-R1 with a Micron slip on, FE, rear cowl, and so on. What I cannot believe is that this happened at our usual hang out spot. We frequent this coffee shop and park our bikes at the usual spot. We came out after one hour and his bike was gone. There as a total of 4 bikes including mine and my freinds.

What I'd like to know is if there is a way to unlock the bike's steering when you left it in the "lock" position. If no one knows hows, I'd like to at least get educated on how the mechanism works. Let me get some feedback guys. This is such a shitty feeling. I know how hard my freind worked to get his bike and I remember the day we went to pick it up. I fuxxing hate thieves...
PsyKotiC RydeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
wonderbread
Training Wheel Hero

that sucks, i cant help you about the lock thing, but im sorry to hear about your friend's bike.
wonderbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
tripage
LED Surgeon General

Feedback Score: 87 reviews
From what I have heard, the lock is useless... If you put your weight into the bars you can brake it loose.... Just what I have heard.. My lock was also on when by bike was stolen. Didn't slow them down a lick.... Even with security in the parking garage and cameras everywhere... No one saw anything...
Advise to everyone... Keep all the aftermarket reciepts!!!!!!
That way you can get some cash from the insurance for all the aftermarkets that are put on...
tripage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Crip2Nite
One Man Band

Doesn't matter if it was locked. It just takes 4 guys and a pickup! They stick a metal bar through the front & back tires and in seconds they just lift it into the back of the pickup. Safest way to leave a bike is to secure it to a non-moveable object and lock both tires! That would make way too much work for the theives as they would rather do the dirty deed within 3 minutes!
|_..._...____________| ||_|_|...,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)******(@)

My Facebook
Crip2Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
homerjay4242

that sucks.. at a 7-11 around here this guy went inside and in a matter of minutes a truck rolled up and stole his ride.. some ppl suck....
Old 07-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
5150in702

+1 the lock is useless. bikes are way to easy to steal.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
66RRJOE
World Superbike Racer

get a scorpio that way it screams at them and pages you. sure if someone really wants your bike a little noise isnt going to stop them but it might make them think twice. sorry to hear about the bike
66RRJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
DethMetal Jeff
AMA Supersport Racer

If it's anything like a car steering wheel lock it can be broken with minimal effort.

Dissatisfaction is the basis of progress. When we become satisfied we become obsolete.
DethMetal Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #9
Cthemall123
Training Wheel Hero

no matter what kind of locks you got or where you park it, if its your time to go... its your time to go...... sorry to break it to you this way, all it take is a truck or a van and maybe 3 assholes.
i usually never park my bike unattended for more than 10 mins and when i do, its chained to other bikes.
Cthemall123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #10
dxh13
AMA Supersport Racer

if mine ever starts lookin pretty, it'll be some gps solution. that seems like the only good option....
dxh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #11
BH600
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the lock is USELESS.. A shaved key can be had for like $10 which acts like a skeleton key on certain manfuacturers bikes... I've also heard a screwdriver can break the lock in seconds.
BH600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:27 AM   #12
cbr600yea03
AMA Supersport Racer

my boy had lowjack on his car and when it got stolen they got they found it in camden, nj ( 5 minutes away) in about 20 minutes ... i was thinking about getting it for my bike.. wondering if anyone else has it? how much?
cbr600yea03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:32 AM   #13
thedude
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH600
I've also heard a screwdriver can break the lock in seconds.
I've heard this as well. A large screw driver and a hamer and BANG BANG the ignition is open to hotwire and the lock is broken. Thieves suck.

Winter sucks. GO HAWKEYES!!
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:34 AM   #14
pantablo
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyKotiC RydeR
What I'd like to know is if there is a way to unlock the bike's steering when you left it in the "lock" position.
when someone tried to steal my bike unsuccessfully they did manage to break the steering lock.

they jammed a sharp object, probably a screwdriver, through the left side of the ignition housing, breaking it and breaking something inside that kept it locked. the ignition switch looks undamaged from above and the key still worked in it, but wouldnt lock the steering...

fuckers.

luckily I had the bikebrace.com so bike stayed in my possesion.

pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:38 AM   #15
thedude
World Superbike Racer

I'm house shopping, and when I finally get one that brace is the first addition to my garage.

Winter sucks. GO HAWKEYES!!
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:40 AM   #16
BH600
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
pantablo, your post prompted me to buy the Bike Brace after my first RR was stolen a month after getting it.

Unfortunately, my a$$hole landlord wouldn't allow me to install it. So I now I just have the biggest chain I could find wrapped around a pole via my swingarm.
BH600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:42 AM   #17
BenZ-03rr
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
luckily I had the bikebrace.com so bike stayed in my possesion.
That thing looks interesting.... However, where do you keep it when you're riding around? It looks rather big and bulky.
BenZ-03rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #18
pantablo
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenZ-03rr
That thing looks interesting.... However, where do you keep it when you're riding around? It looks rather big and bulky.
LOL...in the underseat storage on the bike...hahaha.

When I ride, I ride stopping rarely. So the only time the bike is parked up is in the garage.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:57 AM   #19
pantablo
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH600
my a$$hole landlord wouldn't allow me to install it. So I now I just have the biggest chain I could find wrapped around a pole via my swingarm.
that will work too, but I would let him forget about it for a while then install it without him knowing; paint it grey to match the concrete. Or you could be nice and show him how you'd repair the holes in the concrete when/if you remove it, or how you'll hold him responsible when the garage security fails to prevent a theft of the bike...er, you get the idea...too bad he's a prick though.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:56 AM   #20
Roadkill
Pocketbike Racer

They can put the front wheel on a skate board and wheel it away w/o much problems.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:12 AM   #21
jonnyv
Pocketbike Racer

It's just a pin, so if you turn the handle bars hard, it snaps off, happened to this guy I took the MSF with, he snapped it on his R1.

But seriously, if someones, going to steal your bike, they gonna git it somehow or other.

2003 Yellow (RIP)
2Bro's Aluminum C2/jardine mid pipe; Mini Cat flushmounts; 17 Led Passenger Pegs; Passenger Seat Cowl; Black Chrome Sportech Windscreen (shoulda gone with Chrome); Arai Astral Star Helmet
jonnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:03 PM   #22
Kaiden
AMA Supersport Racer

ok I tryed busting mine I tryed ripping the handlebars from side to side and it won't budge and if it would have my bike would have benn stolen last night. Any other Ideas.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:16 AM   #23
Mouse
AMA Supersport Racer

Scaffold bar and a fat mate, that'll break any steering lock, cars included. To punch an ignition easily, get a crook lock and weld a screw to the end, screw it into the ignition and bash the crook lock, and it should pop straight out. For car windows you cant beat a centre punch, will shatter glass quietly and quickly with minimum effort.

I used to work at a dealership. the only safe way to truly secure your bike is to know where it is at all times, thats why i use GPS.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:03 AM   #24
jonnyv
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
Scaffold bar and a fat mate, that'll break any steering lock, cars included. To punch an ignition easily, get a crook lock and weld a screw to the end, screw it into the ignition and bash the crook lock, and it should pop straight out. For car windows you cant beat a centre punch, will shatter glass quietly and quickly with minimum effort.

I used to work at a dealership. the only safe way to truly secure your bike is to know where it is at all times, thats why i use GPS.
Maybe too much info?, why don't we just teach everyone to DP our cars.

2003 Yellow (RIP)
2Bro's Aluminum C2/jardine mid pipe; Mini Cat flushmounts; 17 Led Passenger Pegs; Passenger Seat Cowl; Black Chrome Sportech Windscreen (shoulda gone with Chrome); Arai Astral Star Helmet
jonnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:49 AM   #25
zymurguy
Knee Dragger

I had my gixxer stolen back in '96. I didn't have it chained up... just a disc lock. The bastages just hefted it into the back of a pick-up and drove off. Popo just told me that the body work would fetch some scratch for them as would the engine (legends race cars - big in NC) and the rest would end up in the swamp. Their attitude was very reassuring. Now my bike is in a locked garage both at home and at work (I commute almost everyday on it). When I'm out on the weekends on it there's not much I can do for 'er.

zymurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #26
Jaybird180
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Please be aware that your posts will end up in google and some rookie idiot will learn how to steal bikes from it. Please be cautious in what you post. I had my car stolen based on advice like this.
Jaybird180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #27
danch0o
Training Wheel Hero

im trying to get my bike to unlock cause the dumbass try to steal my bike twice broken the triple clamp and now my key doesnt work on it.
danch0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #28
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
DEAAAAD A$$$$ thread, whom has waken this ?!

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #29
raemhild
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttynu View Post
DEAAAAD A$$$$ thread, whom has waken this ?!
Honest question, how old is TOO old of a thread to revive? At least he didn't start a new one.

I mean if this was a FS or WTB thread, sure, but it's potentially relevant to his issues. At least he used the search function...

Maybe the admins can set an auto-archive function.. something like 1 or 2 years with no updates, it gets locked??
raemhild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #30
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

true, all good , better than a new one. i just wanted to give the guy a hard time, but if ur lock is broken ,maybe invest in an alarm or a disc lock..?

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement