Texas Stats Troopers. : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Texas Stats Troopers.

Please disregard any spelling or grammar errors I dont wanna check over it.

So here's the story. I'll give you a little back ground info first. I am 22 years old, on a 07 cbr600rr geared up, US army backpack and I went from Dallas to Wichita falls on my bike to visit some friends. 2h 20min in a car little under 2 on a bike.

also I have never been arrested and have a fully clean rec.

So after the uneventful ride there and a good stay I decided to leave. It was around 1PM on Monday. As I was going through one of the main streets in this small town I passed a Texas State Trooper and not thinking much of it and not worrying b/c I was not speeding just on the way to get gas/air and start on the trip back so I whipped into the gas station. Right as I pulled up to the air pump i heard the sirens and was already boxed in by the trooper. Now I know I did not use a blinker so I knew I was in the wrong. He got out of the car walked to me, told me why I was stopped and talked a tad then asked for my ID and what not. Now of course I have insurance but was unable to locate it at the time and I thought my inspection was good till DEC of this year not last year (bike is knew to me). So I am up to 3 tickets right now, we keep talking he ask my whole story, if i have a job etc etc. Asked if i have ever been arrest and I told him about my most recent ticket and we had a good laugh. I asked if he could work with me and said if everything checks out we will see.

He went to his car and I was standing in heat geared up and asked him if I could stand behind the car in the shade, he said no but I could take my stuff on and come sit in the car. I walked over to the car and instead of getting into the back he had me sit in the front seat. (Let me say some really cool stuff in there) He check EVERYTHING on me he could. He also made a comment how he was surprised I have never been arrested before. we talked more and he was a really cool guy. He did a few more things * I have been with him for about an hour now* then told me he was printing out my warning. Thinking I was getting a ticket and a warning I was amazed when he showed me a warning for all 3 tickets!!!!!

After signing for the warnings i thought he asked if I had anymore questions and I said no. I was then corrected by him and he said he had a few more questions for me. I said sure go ahead (thinking it was something about my life)

He asked me how much money I have on me and what kind of guys I have. He said I have been asking (weird/nerves) and that he would like to search me and my backpack + everything else. I told him no, that I like my privacy and that I am a good clean boy. He then ask me why I would not allow him to and that he will be calling the drug dog and that his is my chance to come clean. I tell him I have 22$ cash + some receipts to my name LOL and that if he will just let me go he can search my stuff now, I just wanna go home. He tells me that since I said no already that they have to get the dog. 20 min later (about 1 hour 20min so far held) the dog arrives.

The trooper said I could wait in the car or get out, I wanted to be outside for this. I stepped out, the other trooper that turned out to be his Sargent said hello shook my hand asked me my story again and then told me he was going to run the dog and that I need to come clean now. He then pulls the dog out and runs it all around the gas station, behind the fence beside my bike all around the bike, then across all my stuff and me.

Of course the dog found nothing, they came over and told me he found nothing but really like me and my gloves so they would like to go ahead and search me. (one cop in front of me and 2nd already behind me with his hands on me) I said since they have been so nice to me so far that they can and of course I come up clean. The first thing he grabbed from me was my wallet and quickly asked if he could search it. I said since he has it in his hands already go for it (was funny when it only had 22$ and some receipts lol). They then walk over to my bike and pull off my back seat and start to pop off plastics, but quickly stopped. Last thing they did was walk over and pull all of the pads out of my helmet then just set it on the ground.

I guess finally after 1hour and 30min + they where happy that I was not a super drug runner, shook my hand and left.....

I am not mad b/c I got 3 warning but dang guys sometimes we get profiled very hard.

Last edited by ToroPop; 05-19-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
buechelr
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The DPS guys down here in TX are complete douche bags man. I got another shitty story for ya about them.

I high-sided my bike back in October out in the hill country and it was a pretty rough crash. First people on the scene was an local off duty female officer who was really nice and she got the medics there asap. So they show up and get my gear off me and untangle me from the fence im laying in. About this time DPS shows up, I dont really notice him yet cause im talking to the medics who are checking me out making sure Im ok (still a bit woozy). They ask me if I want to go to the hospital or just call for a ride and I insist im OK and I will just call a friend. They aggree and want to see if I can stand up. They help me up and right about then everything starts to go dark and I pass out from all the adrenaline. I woke up as they are putting me on a board and carrying me to the ambulance. As they get me all strapped in and the medic is talking to me in the back of the ambulance the DPS Sheriff puts his head in the door and starts grilling me about what happened and where my license and stuff is. I point to my tank bag and say Id rather not answer any questions right now because Im pretty out of it... Fast forward to the hospital. I get cleaned up and checked out. As im looking through my bag I find my wallet and no license in it!?! Im freaking out about now because I barely remember the accident and I start calling the guys I was riding with. They tell me they saw the cop with it and thought he gave it to me. They then tell me he refused to let my friend take my bike home in the back of his pickup and that he grilled them for about half an hour trying to incriminate us. I call around the state trying to find this guy and get a hold of him and he says he has my license and was waiting for me to call him (how in the hell does he get away with that? he left me no contact info) and says he had my bike towed like 80 miles out of town to some shithole place and that its on me to cover the costs. He tells me he will mail my license to me and gives me the number to the place the bike was towed. To add insult to injury my bike was just laying on its side and my gear on the ground around it (all of this outside) and they made me load it myself. After all this I get my license in the mail with 2 tickets attached to it, one of which was for no insurance? I got that one waived after I sent a copy of my insurance to them and the other was BS and had to pay it.

Hows that for messed up?

Last edited by buechelr; 05-19-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
obnoxious2
Pocketbike Racer

Um 4th amendment rights my friend. 4 amendment. Road violations do not constitute rightful cause to search you or your vehicle. Neither was calling in the scent dog. No warrant, no searchy.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buechelr View Post
The DPS guys down here in TX are complete douche bags man. I got another shitty story for ya about them.

I high-sided my bike back in October out in the hill country and it was a pretty rough crash. First people on the scene was an local off duty female officer who was really nice and she got the medics there asap. So they show up and get my gear off me and untangle me from the fence im laying in. About this time DPS shows up, I dont really notice him yet cause im talking to the medics who are checking me out making sure Im ok (still a bit woozy). They ask me if I want to go to the hospital or just call for a ride and I insist im OK and I will just call a friend. They aggree and want to see if I can stand up. They help me up and right about then everything starts to go dark and I pass out from all the adrenaline. I woke up as they are putting me on a board and carrying me to the ambulance. As they get me all strapped in and the medic is talking to me in the back of the ambulance the DPS Sheriff puts his head in the door and starts grilling me about what happened and where my license and stuff is. I point to my tank bag and say Id rather not answer any questions right now because Im pretty out of it... Fast forward to the hospital. I get cleaned up and checked out. As im looking through my bag I find my wallet and no license in it!?! Im freaking out about now because I barely remember the accident and I start calling the guys I was riding with. They tell me they saw the cop with it and thought he gave it to me. They then tell me he refused to let my friend take my bike home in the back of his pickup and that he grilled them for about half an hour trying to incriminate us. I call around the state trying to find this guy and get a hold of him and he says he has my license and was waiting for me to call him (how in the hell does he get away with that? he left me no contact info) and says he had my bike towed like 80 miles out of town to some shithole place and that its on me to cover the costs. He tells me he will mail my license to me and gives me the number to the place the bike was towed. To add insult to injury my bike was just laying on its side and my gear on the ground around it (all of this outside) and they made me load it myself. After all this I get my license in the mail with 2 tickets attached to it, one of which was for no insurance? I got that one waived after I sent a copy of my insurance to them and the other was BS and had to pay it.

Hows that for messed up?
Dude that's just nuts. I have always had an issue with State Troopers they will also chase. This story from you makes me worried if someone or me has a fall; we also all know that not all of us ride with everything we need (license and insurance or even a legal bike at times haha)
Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by obnoxious2 View Post
Um 4th amendment rights my friend. 4 amendment. Road violations do not constitute rightful cause to search you or your vehicle. Neither was calling in the scent dog. No warrant, no searchy.
That's why I said no to the search; and I guess I maybe could have asked to leave and not wait for the dog (ask if I was being arrest or detained)? But since I was clean and he gave me warnings I still wanted "respect and work with him" I know that sounds crazy.

Its really hard IMO to be really stern in that kind of spot. It also comes out of the blue, bc up to that point he is in control. Once you start to fire back and ask if you being detained or what not then its kind of more in your court. But i'm sure you understand I just didn't want any trouble my track rec with cops is not the best.

Last edited by ToroPop; 05-19-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
TheX
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,215 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Funny, 5 years of riding many thousands of miles in the Austin and surrounding areas on nothing but sportbikes and wearing leather and not a single bad episode.

The groups I ride with (and we speed a lot) are all the same way. Sorry you had a bad event, glad it's not the norm here.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Moeman
**Miss O'Seven BOTY 2011**----- Triumph for Tarek

Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,694 Posts
Feedback Score: 144 reviews
The above post brings a valid point you did not give them the consent to get searched nor did they have a warrant to search you i guess that is why you made them search you knowing you had nothing to worry about ( in your face kind of attitude ) i bet they were pissed more power to you man i am glad to read you left that whole fiasco with just warnings. One thing baffels me time and time again why are we always looked at like we are criminals ?

Honrary Chairman

In memory of SpdyG_AK , Close Assault & Phatstud
Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
The above post brings a valid point you did not give them the consent to get searched nor did they have a warrant to search you i guess that is why you made them search you knowing you had nothing to worry about ( in your face kind of attitude ) i bet they were pissed more power to you man i am glad to read you left that whole fiasco with just warnings. One thing baffels me time and time again why are we always looked at like we are criminals ?
haha yea that was my plan, A funny side note is after they got in there SUV/Car I pulled to the pump and went in and there was a crowd of about 9-12 people and they all started clapping that I didnt get arrested and got a little cheer when I said only warning's. That made my day.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
riot
Ain't Even Excited

wtf you lost me at started to pop off your plastics and rip the padding out of your helmet.

that is ******* ridiculous. I would be a whole new level of pissed off.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroPop View Post
haha yea that was my plan, A funny side note is after they got in there SUV/Car I pulled to the pump and went in and there was a crowd of about 9-12 people and they all started clapping that I didnt get arrested and got a little cheer when I said only warning's. That made my day.
Hell yeah you beat their fiasco fair and square

Honrary Chairman

Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
HI OFECR
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How long are they allowed to detain you for a traffic stop?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
Bimmerx2
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
... One thing baffels me time and time again why are we always looked at like we are criminals ?
You're kidding right?

There are enough sportbike riders acting like complete douchbags to sour the perception of us that it's a miracle our rides haven't been outlawed (or at least heavily restricted) already. Even riders of other types of bikes clump all of us together based on that skewed perception. The sad part is that it's a really small percent of riders causing the problem but they make enough of a stink that we all suffer the consequences.

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html
Old 05-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
HI OFECR
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Car speeds gets ticket no big deal.

Sportbike speeds world ends lives endangered babies get Aids.

Profiling is profiling no matter what someone else did at some point on a similar bike.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #14
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI OFECR View Post
Car speeds gets ticket no big deal.

Sportbike speeds world ends lives endangered babies get Aids.

Profiling is profiling no matter what someone else did at some point on a similar bike.
So true, I got tons of friends with 5+ tickets per-person all over 100 in a car or truck. Its the profiling that's the issue just like you said; I was stopped for a moving violation but then expected as a drug runner. The Trooper was also going the other way on the rode (gas station was about 60 yards away from when I saw him), so that means he already busted a U turn; saw me turn in with out a blinker and box me in all before I could get my helmet off. He already planned to pull me over.

Last edited by ToroPop; 05-20-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #15
ATX_ME
Knee Dragger

So let me get this right.
Motorcycle licencse - yes?
Insurance - Yes, but not on you. (you are required to provide proof if requested by a state official) so no
Vehicle inspection - expired
Traffic violation - fail to signal

You got lucky in my opnion. You had 3 strikes against you. Next time do the rest of us a favor and dont ride unless your 100% in accordance with the law. You sir are the reason we get profiled.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #16
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_ME View Post
So let me get this right.
Motorcycle licencse - yes?
Insurance - Yes, but not on you. (you are required to provide proof if requested by a state official) so no
Vehicle inspection - expired
Traffic violation - fail to signal

You got lucky in my opnion. You had 3 strikes against you. Next time do the rest of us a favor and dont ride unless your 100% in accordance with the law. You sir are the reason we get profiled.
Your so right! So next time he pulls over a minivan for turning into the gas station; he needs to call the dog! I feel like you really did not think your post/comment all the way through. I bet you don't speed also lol.

Last edited by ToroPop; 05-20-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #17
ATX_ME
Knee Dragger

That's just my opinion. Like it or hate it you were in the wrong. Not once, not twice but three times and yet you still find a way to place the blame on someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 05-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #18
qteter
World Superbike Racer

In a criminal class i took in college we had a whole lecture about cop conduct. They are trained to make you believe they are your friend. Also by asking you questions such as "do you know why I pulled you over" they are manipulating a way for you to incriminate yourself. Be respectful but know your rights.You did not have to stay or give consent.

-qteter
Old 05-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #19
qteter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Your so right! So next time he pulls over a minivan for turning into the gas station; he needs to call the dog! I feel like you really did not think your post/comment all the way through. I bet you don't speed also lol.
Who doesn't speed on a 600? I tiny twist of a wrist and your 10mph over the speed limit... It's also very common not to use your turn signal, it was a bad habit I have from driving my car. Point is your right that he did get lucky because I've been slapped with every ticket in the book in one stop (although I only had the bike for 30 min) and he was in the wrong, however, the cops actions were uncalled for

-qteter
Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
tary preisser
Moto GP Racer

they are conditioning you to a new level of fear and compliance.

their efforts are mostly directed against the younger generations of citizens and the less well off.

they leave the rich (and their friends) alone.

get ready for worse, the "New World Order" is rising.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Sounds suspicious to me that they left you with just a warning. I'm not saying your story is suspicious, I'm saying their behavior is. The first officer thought you were probably trying to avoid him when you turned in and pushed things beyond the point he should have, then said just a warning hoping you'd let it go there and be happy with just that. Maybe he did something beyond what he was entitled too, suspecting that you surely had something to hide. Then again, only an officer could give us the real rules. That search was ridiculous for turning without signalling.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
weStTXgrEase_mOnKay
I'm a pretty lady!!!

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I've only had one experience with a state trooper while ridding. I was speeding thru town and I didn't see him at the time but thinking back I think I might have saw him at the gas station. Anyways he pulls me over asks for the insurance and license. I tell him it is insured but I don't have the slip on me. I show him my license and he asks why I don't have my moto endorsement, I tell him I'm just barely learning how to ride. Yes I know lame a** excuse but I was being honest.

He's looking at my license and asks me to pronounce my last name. After that I guess a light bulb goes off and he asks if I'm related to so and so. I say "yes sir, that's my cousin" and he replies "I know most of your family then" to that I reply "I guess that's not a good thing". I look up at him and he has the biggest smile, I can tell he's trying hard not to laugh. So he says "ill be right back" he runs my info and comes back. He comes back grills me a little more, then gives me a lecture about safety. Then he says "I tell you what, I can give you 3 tickets right now but instead I want you to go straight home and park this thing (ninja 250) and not come back out." I'm like "yes sir"!!

I guess he's assigned to this area because I see him often. Every time I see him I always wave and he nods.

2W1R elCapitan

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try!"
Alexander the Great

"You can go to hell, I'm going to TEXAS!!" Davy Crockett

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Happy Catholic

Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
Sojiro
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
That's just my opinion. Like it or hate it you were in the wrong. Not once, not twice but three times and yet you still find a way to place the blame on someone else.

Lol what? So failing to use your turn signal, not having proof of insurance, and an old inspection sticker qualifies you for a group grope with the local PD and a drug dog search?

yeah... no. if he were driving a car he would have been gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojiro For This Useful Post:
ArghArghh (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
Moeman

May be drug trafficking in the Lone Star state is done with bikes too every thing is possible these days otherwise why would they go to such extremes in their search they had reasonable doubt but the op proved them wrong . Being asked every time i get pulled over if i have drugs or weapons on me is not a big deal but was never asked to be searched standard question i guess would i let them search me sure i do not mind but ask me to take the fairings off or strip down the padding of my helmet to prove i have nothing that i wont do unless they get a warrant i got to make them earn it if i will have to do all this work on the side of the road

Honrary Chairman

Last edited by Moeman; 05-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
13bRotary
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:

You're a complete idiot, nobody cares about your opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13bRotary For This Useful Post:
LanCo Rider (05-20-2012), ToroPop (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer

Oops double post.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #27
careboy
Knee Dragger

Valuable thoughts and advices. I read your topic with great interest.

The Following User Says Thank You to careboy For This Useful Post:
ToroPop (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #28
Kenneth
OG

Location: San Antone, Texas ... I wonder how many letters you can type before it won't allow you to ty
Quote:
He made a comment how he was surprised I have never been arrested before.

They then walk over to my bike and pull off my back seat and start to pop off plastics, but quickly stopped.

Last thing they did was walk over and pull all of the pads out of my helmet then just set it on the ground.
3 reasons why these guys are unequivocal bags o' douche.

Sorry to hear your story man. I, like others, have had both good and bad run ins with Texas DPS. Just shake it off and keep your chin up. I am pretty confident that it had more to do with your age than you riding a sportbike, as I've gotten this same treatment at your age and have had a few cars literally dissassembled while I watched in disgust. It hasn't happened now that I've gotten a little older. :-)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #29
ToroPop
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
3 reasons why these guys are unequivocal bags o' douche.

Sorry to hear your story man. I, like others, have had both good and bad run ins with Texas DPS. Just shake it off and keep your chin up. I am pretty confident that it had more to do with your age than you riding a sportbike, as I've gotten this same treatment at your age and have had a few cars literally dissassembled while I watched in disgust. It hasn't happened now that I've gotten a little older. :-)
I feel yea, I have since got my inspection done and still been riding everyday. I just feel every time I stop to maybe get gas or answer a call I feel like I am about to be run up on by some cops haha.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #30
speeddeamon88
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI OFECR View Post
How long are they allowed to detain you for a traffic stop?
By law they are allowed enough time to go over your information a few questions and or writing of tickets or warnings. Which according to the supreme court if i remember right is anywhere from 15-20 min . Anything after that is illegal. Thank you criminal justice classes.
The X's #1 Fan™
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread