Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

'06 Orange Tribal Build

6K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  600_RideRR 
#1 ·
I have been doing some work on my bike for the past couple weeks, with quite a few new additions to my baby. I Probably spent more than I should have, but I am very happy with the outcome. Thanks for checking it out, and let me know what you guys think.

Alright, for the exhaust. For weeks I was deciding whether to get an Akra, Leo or Two Bros slip-on. Turned out that Akra is just too expensive for me right now, and liked the look and sound of the TB over the Leo... So I got the TB Black Series carbon fiber, and I freakin' love it.

I have to admit that I was disappointed with one thing about the power tip- I figured it would come with the kit, but you have to purchase it separately. So I haven't bought one yet. I agree with many of you that the exhaust can be just down right obnoxiously loud for the first few rides, but the sound settled down quite a bit after that. It's still loud obviously, but now I doubt I would need the power tip anyway.

Even with the power tip, I still doubt that the TB would even pass the dB regulation if I start hitting track days; but if I do, then I would get a full system anyway. But I do looooove the sound of my TB right now...

I've thought about doing the cut, but I think the can looks good (to me) as it is anyway.

See less See more
#2 ·
I purchased some HEL stainless steel braided lines for the front and rear, and I absolutely love them. I went with the carbon fiber color. This was my first time bleeding the brakes, so I was nervous that I would spill brake fluid all over my bike and ruin the paint; but it turned out great, with no issues whatsoever. I used one of those one-man bleeder kits (I couldn’t argue with $7).

Very easy task, just time consuming for the line removal/installation along with the bleeding. I definitely wanted to take my time to get it done right on the first try.
These brakes are awesome as compared to stock lines- a BIG difference, so I’m very happy with them.
More to come in a bit...

#3 ·
Levers, grips and bar ends

Got some weighted bar ends like these:

Not bad, looks much better than the ones I had on the bikeand slightly reduced the vibration.

I got a pair of the D3 replica grips off of Ebay. There is actually a whole thread on here just about these grips. Like $9 before shipping, So I'm definitely happy with these:

I also ordered a pair of shorties. Similar to the ones from the2wheels.com, but without the holes near the adjusters- same price though. I hear that the adjusters fade after time; but if they turn pink, then I would probably just buy another pair of the same levers... I can't complain just yet for a $35 pair of levers though:

Now these three additions made it much more comfortable in handling. comfortable and smooth.

My old grips and levers, which I thought were ugly as f*ck:

Now I feel better:

Along with the levers:

#4 ·
Hey 600riderrr thanks for sharing.
Your bike looks sick, more pics would be nice!
I have orange tribal myself but its aftermarket, still love it although the front fairing is fading a bit...

How are the grips and bar end? feel? installing?
I want some aftermarket ones too, and plus do you know how to solve my problem of barend not being flush?

the barend requires for the inside bit to be concave-ish but its kinda flush. the other side is convaed so its cleaner looking.

If trying to fix this is too much work, and i was looking for some aftermarket grips and barend, should i switch over?

thanks!

Reactions: 600_RideRR
#6 · (Edited)
Hey 600riderrr thanks for sharing.
Your bike looks sick, more pics would be nice!
I have orange tribal myself but its aftermarket, still love it although the front fairing is fading a bit...

How are the grips and bar end? feel? installing?
I want some aftermarket ones too, and plus do you know how to solve my problem of barend not being flush?

the barend requires for the inside bit to be concave-ish but its kinda flush. the other side is convaed so its cleaner looking.

If trying to fix this is too much work, and i was looking for some aftermarket grips and barend, should i switch over?

thanks!
I would definitely change them out. My new grips are nice and comfortable, and the bar ends are also great. Installation was a breeze. Took about 5 minutes to change out the bar ends, and about 15 minutes per side to remove and install the grips. I used nail polish remover to get the gummy residue of the bars, and used hairspray to stick the grips on. I will definitely be posting more pics of the bike when I have the chance, but so far I have only taken pics of the parts I have removed and installed.

I would show you a couple pics of the inside ends of them, but I already threadlocked the bolts and don't want to break the seal again. I will show you what I think about your issue using my old bar ends...

As you can see on the tip of the bar end, there is a crescent-shape edge on the top of the ends:

And the inside of the throttle of the handlebar should have that same shape in order to connect the bar end to the inside of the clip on, like so (pretend that the bar end on the right is the clip on):

So if the two ends of the bar end and the inside of the clip on are not lined up, then this would cause your bar ends to stick out. If you are not seeing the crescent-shaped edge inside the clip on, then chances are you still have that piece of the bar end is still stuck in the clip on. All of the bar ends I've seen have that half moon-shaped edge, and not concave/convex.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the complements.

#5 ·
Looks great so far OP. I have the same bike and the same "CBR logo" grips :puke:

I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread

#7 ·
I put on some clear Stomp Grips. The black grips are ugly to me, unless they are cut custom; but I am not creative enough to go for that. Though the black does cover any air bubbles trapped underneath, I just went with the clear and took my chances.

I did clean the tank cover and I heated the grips a bit; and once they were put on the tank, I heated the edges again a little more. This was the first time I put these on, and there were just a few small air bubbles stuck on there; but overall, it looks great and definitely awesome with traction when braking. I definitely recommend them to anyone.

#8 ·
Is there a how to for this? and whered u get the grips and bar ends? thanks!

and i know the cresent part of the end. What im saying is since its flush like that it sticks out, the cresents are locked.

This is the left side that is sticking out:

And this is the right side that isnt having the problem of sticking out far because you see the difference in the part where it is screwed is inside the bar more than the left side. do you understand?

#9 · (Edited)
Is there a how to for this? and whered u get the grips and bar ends? thanks!

and i know the cresent part of the end. What im saying is since its flush like that it sticks out, the cresents are locked.

This is the left side that is sticking out:

And this is the right side that isnt having the problem of sticking out far because you see the difference in the part where it is screwed is inside the bar more than the left side. do you understand?
I got the grips and bar ends both from Ebay. I got the grips from the same seller on Ebay that you see at the top of this Driven D3 Replica thread here:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=177104

I have seen the weighted bar ends all over the place on Amazon, Ebay and some performance sites; but the seller Planetbolts from Ebay had the best price for the bar ends:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weighted-Ho...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bacbf1ac&vxp=mtr

This thread shows how to replace both the grips and bar ends for D3's, and numerous posts on this thread for good suggestions on the subject:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=281782&highlight=replace+grips

I did not use a how-to for the bar ends, as mine slipped right off and put the new ones on with no issues. I wish I could help you more, but don't really know how as this problem never came up with my bar ends. Both sides fit the bar ends in perfectly. But it's very easy to do, there are quite a few removals/ installations on the site here, as well as youtube vids all over the place for them.

Reactions: thekw
#10 ·
Fe

I wanted to get rid of the stock tag bracket under the can:

So I got a Tripage fender eliminator. With some info from T, I am planning to replace the pass pegs with the LED pegs. Hopefully I will have enough cash by the end of the week to do this, while T still has that group buy going on right now...

Definitely the easiest install thus far, looks a lot better now under the tail.

#13 ·
Rearsets

I got some Vortex adjustable rearsets from Motomummy, and came olong with the brake pressure switch (and a free t-shirt :banger:):

Put them together, and used blue threadlock the 4 center bolts that adjust the rearset:

I started with the clutch side first. Very easy to remove and install, and also easy to adjust the two change rods. The rod that connects to the gearshift arm was not at a perfect 90 degree angle, but I don't think it's possible due to where the change bracket is placed below the gearshift arm; but nevertheless, the shifting is much much smoother than the stock shifter was.

The brake side was also very easy to remove and install. Simple to remove the brake light spring and wiring and replace it with the pressure switch wiring. I bled the brake fluid out, removed the rear HEL banjo bolt and crush washers, and put in the new banjo and washers on the pressure switch. Then put new fluid and bled the brakes again. Brake light works like a charm.

I absolutely love these rearsets... very comfortable, and those pegs stick to my boots like glue. I'm very happy with them.

#14 ·
damn, this is gonna be the HOTTEST orange tribal on the dot net!! :banger:

#15 ·
Thanks man... trust me, I've seen better before, but hopefully it will be getting up there at some point.

#17 ·
The last tail light I had on my bike had some real issues. only the right side running/brake light worked, but my turn signals worked on both sides.

With some help from Moeman and Tripage, I was able to figure out the problem. The actual problem was most likely the CA board, and not the wiring; but I figured that the previous owner (or maybe an inexperienced mechanic) somehow made a mess out of the wiring anyway, was missing a resistor, and god knows what else (I'm not exactly electrical savvy).

So I ordered a knew one, and luckily it came with the sub-harness. Motodynamic integrated with sequential LEDs:

The subharness was just perfect in length for the signals, but the main harness for the running/brake/ground seemed way too short and wouldn't even extend all the way to the back of the tail. I figured that this might be what the previous owner was doing with the wiring. So I extended the harness another 7-8 inches or so:

Not the prettiest, but not horrible for my first try. The white clip on the harness kept sliding apart, so I just wrapped some safety wire around it to keep it from separating. This was my first time repairing any wiring on my bike, other than my brake pressure switch; so feel free to give me feedback on it and tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

The light works like a charm, very bright- just how I wanted it to be.

Pics wouldn't do justice anyway; but If you would like to get a better look, this is the vid from the Motodynamic site:

I made an attempt at embedding a photobucket vid and failed miserably. Anyway, thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Reactions: TribalCBR06
#18 ·
wait, the IT flashes quickly 3 times when you hit the breaks? or is he tapping it three times fast?

i want that now... haha looks awesome. bright it seems and sequential is cool.

i have the regular IT with turn signals AND the DOT rear signals. was debating if i should get rid of them and use it when i need to for safety only?

#19 ·
wait, the IT flashes quickly 3 times when you hit the breaks? or is he tapping it three times fast?

i want that now... haha looks awesome. bright it seems and sequential is cool.

i have the regular IT with turn signals AND the DOT rear signals. was debating if i should get rid of them and use it when i need to for safety only?
Yes, it flashes 3 times when you hit the brakes, and it is VERY bright. The vid that I made would have definitely shown how bright it is, but I think the only way to embed a vid on dot net is Youtube. Haven't exactly figured that out yet.

Personally I would get rid of the rear signals, since you already have turn signals in the tail light; but there is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping them... it's all about personal preference.

Which regular IT are you referring to? Because if you were talking about the stock tail light then I would recommend Tripage, if you like the sequential LEDs. Tripage installs the LEDs on your stock light, and it has numerous brake and signal patterns; where the Motodynamic only has the one pattern. If I had the money then I would've gone with Tripage, but I am definitely happy with the Motodynamic for the time being. MUCH better tail light than the one I had before. I love the brightness... much more noticeable, and lesser of a chance of getting rear-ended.

#24 ·
Wow those tailaights from Motodynamic are pretty nice! I like it a lot, and the price is hard to beat. I might have to pick one up sometime. Thanks and keep up the nice build!
Thanks man, I love it- definitely the best price for a brand new IT that I could find anywhere...

#25 ·
great post man! i just bought an IT from moto dynamics, im reading that when installing it has a small gap in the back? is this true? and also the wires arent long enough to plug in? i really like the sequential lights but im reading everywhere that Tripage is the way to go. the only thing is that its a little pricey.

#27 ·
Thanks man. That's right, the gap was like 8 inches from the IT to the harness, so I needed to extend it a bit. I really don't know if this would apply to other 600rr's, since I know that the previous owner had messed around with his harness... for all I know, you have no issue with the gap like I did.

And even I agree that if you have the money, then go with Tripage. I love that IT, but yes it's pricey. The Motodynamic is more than enough for now, since it is much better than the previous taillight I had.

#28 ·
I am planning on powder coating the swing arm, I just don't have the time right now. You're right, it will be much sexier, along with black case covers and pass pegs... :eek:hyeah:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.