Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Trick your RR like Slick's

10K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  Slickrick600 
#1 · (Edited)
First off I would like to say hello :ciao: and welcome to my build/maintenance thread. This thread will follow everything I ever do to my bike let it be mods, maintenance, or anything under the sun.

So where to start, lets start with introducing myself, my name is Rick I live in Windsor Ontario. I am 24 years old and I love motorcycles (hence why I am here). I started riding when I was 5 years old small dirt bikes, quads etc; wasn't till I was 20 that I turned my interest into sport bikes. My first bike was a Kawasaki Ninja 250r Special edition,

It was an awesome starter bike, and I encourage any new rider to start on something small first and work your way up. I had my ninja for about 2 years before I sold it and upgraded to my current bike. In those two years I can say I learned a lot, simply because the bike was more forgiving then its bigger sisters. It allow me to slowly build up my confidence, and skill set.

Eventually I did get bored of the bike and dreamed of the faster higher tempo that my 06 honda brought me.

And here she is my 06 Honda CBR 600RR

Not much to say but this bike is my child and I hold her close to my heart.

Current upgrades to the bike I have done.

Slip on KR Tuned exhaust/mid pipe
AVS Short levers (gold)
Puig Double Bubble Black race wind screen
Hot Bodies Smoke Double Bubble race wind screen
Spiegler Steel Breaded Brake Lines Red Line Gold Fittings
K&N Air Filter (rechargeable)
Racetech Front fork springs (not installed yet)
Vortex Frame Sliders
520 Driven Chain/sprocket kit red chain black sprocket
Michelin Power 2CT tires
Reflective rim tape

I currently run BellRay 10w40 or Mortul 15W50 depending on what I am doing with the bike. track days higher count lower for street and city driving

Anyways there is a little history behind the bike really hope I didn't bore you guys too much :retard:

So now we get into the good stuff, after a track day last month I took my bike out for a spin and was hearing some rattling coming from somewhere near the top of the cam shaft case and right side of the bike near the clutch. Me and a friend of mine narrowed it down to either valves or cam chain tension (best case) or....new engine:banghead:

as luck would have it fate was on my side and we figured it to be the cam chain tensioner.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
We ended up replacing the stock tensioner with a manual tnesioner. This allows for easier adjustments last longer then the stock tensioner. 50$ ebay

Once installed we decided to look at the valves/cam shaft

we were both astonished to see all valves had optimal clearance and that the cam shafts had no wear damage, pretty good for having 45K on the bike.

I am going to say that proper maintenance goes a long way, and dont try and cut corner and save money, I change my oil every 2500KM and oil filter every other change (unless it's track).

Next we moved onto inspect the rest of the bike and removed the clutch casing, once again amazing no wear or damage.

Here is another little upgrade I will slip into the "put back the puzzle" new spark plugs

Now I say puzzle cause that's really what this is, a giant puzzle lol :laughing1 only took us a day to take it apart inspect and install, i am sure it will take twice as long to put it back together.

I will keep everyone posted obviously as to how it goes, sunny side up and ride high.

thanks for viewing :)

#3 ·
Well it's been a while since I posted anything on here is the most recent change I did.

Special Thanks you LakeRR well wrapped and well secured

Rear Tail and Solo Cowl (black)

#4 ·
Before:

After:

Next upgrades:

Gilles Rear sets
PCV
Powder Coat passenger rear pegs
Rotors/brake pads
Rear brake system overhaul.

#5 ·
Update 08/01 :)

Hello just a few updates on the bike one was the rear sprocket.

I bought the 520 conversion kit last august. Well a few weeks ago I noticed that my bike seems to be a little sluggish. So I did some inspection and came to find this

16teeth in a row were missing. Now I do run track and ride the streets but I don't "abuse" the bike. The occasional wheelie here and there but cutting a corner and feeling that road against my knee is what gets me :)

After removing the sprocket inspecting the chain (to my amazement was not damaged!) I order a new sprocket from STG.

Now I opted to go with the steel sprocket rather then going back to the heat treated aluminum. I also order the driven red sprocket bolts.

they arrived within a week :)

The finished product, a little dirty girl needs a bath!! :crackup:

#6 ·
Next this arrived at the house.

A really big shout out to infinate719 for a sweet deal on these rearsets. I really owe yeah one buddy thanks! :ciao:

Here is what they look like all installed :)

Next upgrades:

Gilles Rear sets
Rotors/brake pads
Rear brake system overhaul.

PCV
Powder Coat passenger rear pegs

#7 · (Edited)
Well the day has come where my baby was laid down. I am not going to bore anyone with super details just keep it simple and to the point. Group of us went out to ride out local circuit. It was night and I was coming out of the second last turn top of the apex when my back tire lost traction. I tried to compensate by applying more throttle to reengage the grip, but it was too late.

I felt the back end slip more and the back tire lost all traction and then the front followed. At which point I bailed off the bike and just tucked and rolled. i slid for about 30 feet till i hit the gravel on the edge of the road and went into the ditch. landed in water so my momentum was stopped before i hit the other side of the ditch. For the most part I was luck. My shoulder and leg took most of the first and secondary impact, at which time i began to roll with the slide. I have a small amount of rash on my left fore arm (i can post pictures if members want to see the "damage" but atm I am going to hold off).

Overall I think I escaped rather easily, my bike on the other hand....didn't as great as I did.

The bike slide the same distance I did till it hit the gravel shoulder, this is where the big damage happened. As the bike slide onto the shoulder my rear set peg and front tire decided to grab and catapult my bike into the ditch fail first. As you can imagine what the damage could have been done by this.

Sub frame tail plastics took 90% of the impact, the sub frame actually snapped in 4 places and the tail plastics (if you want to call it that) is non-existence.

Here are some pictures of the crash sight.

this is where the bike slide and hit the gravel shoulder, you can see the dig marks.

Where the bike first impact in the ditch.

This is where the bike finally came to rest tail section in the water.

Now luckily we were close to my buddies house that we grabbed his truck loaded the bike before anyone else knew what happened. Took the bike to his house stored it there till i could get a chance to bring it home.

So the next day I woke up thinking "oh my god just a bad dream" till i tried to move and felt like i got hit by a mack trunk that I realized not a dream.

Anyways I ended up getting to my bike a few days later and first thing was first survey the damage. As I said it was night time when the accident happened so it was hard for my to inspect it in great detail. So I began my inspection of the damage and to my amazement it was surprisingly minimal considering what happened to that bike.

Damaged pieces are as follows

-Sub Frame (snapped in 4 places)
- Front plastics and tail section along with solo cowl & Gas cover
- Exhaust Clamp & Mid pipe strap
- Rash to the frame slider and Rear sets along with one broken screw on the rear set.
- Dent gas tank but not cracked or leaking.

And that's it!I was lucky at the time that I didn't have my side plastics or under section on the bike as I was doing some inspection work on the engine was I was suppose to be going to Tennessee with a group of friends, but plans changed.

Anyways other then those damaged items the main components of the bike

forks, rims, swing arm, frame, headers, exhaust, engine, oil pan etc were unharmed, even my full head light assembly is still fully intact. Now I am not going to lie I am not sure HOW that is possible when u see the pic you all ask yourself the same question.

After seeing that for most part the damage was minimal I wanted to make sure she would start up. so i plugged in my key turned the key on all the electronics started up hit the start button and.....nothing.....She would instantly lose power and I would have to shut the key off and turn her back on to get the power back.

I decided to unplug the ECU and the battery maybe it would help and it did. As soon as I reconnected everything and hit the start button she fired right up. I am not sure why exactly it what the issue was my only conclusion was that the ECU was still registering a crash and killed power to the engine.

#8 · (Edited)
Anyways after having her run for the a bit I decided to take her for a spin to see if everything was actually straight and narrow. Sure enough she rode straight pulled straight. I honestly couldn't have been happier all things considering.

Here are some pictures of the damage

left side

right side

Tail section1

Tail section 2

Gas Tank

Sub frame off the bike

Noise Fairing off the bike

#10 ·
Surprised there aren't anymore comments. I am sort of glad there isn't though.
Very sweet bike!

#11 · (Edited)
Here are some more pictures rebuild process now.

So I removed all the damaged piece of the bike and salvaged anything I could. I categorized all the bolts nuts etc that I kept so I know where they go.

I already ordered a new sub-frame with a big thanks and shout out to fast316 (jon) of 600rr.net for the sale. Thanks man I really appreciate it :)

Also just making some final adjustments to my plastics with the designer before I place my order :)

My poor attempt at a street fighter...lol

Rear View

Organization is key

Tomorrow I am planning on taking the head light off the front fairing for further inspection hopefully all goes well.

Keep checking back for more updates :)

#13 ·
thanks man :shakehand

#14 ·
here are some more pictures

sub frame off the bike

Head light and front cowl. I disassembled everything today and the head light has no broke tabs at all....dont ask how i am still wondering myself.

more pictures to come so parts arrived at the post office today i need to pick them up :)

#15 ·
Can't wait to see the rebuild

#17 ·
thanks guys oh and this rebuild is going to be good :)

#18 ·
Good time to send off those passenger pegs and have them coated ;)

#19 ·
true but I am waiting for my subframe to get here so I can do it all at once. best thing is I can do all the Powder coating myself so I just have to pay for the product i use lol

#20 ·
ok guys i need some help i need to find a replacement strap for my exhaust.

#21 ·
Sorry for not posting anything in here for a bit been a tad busy with things work family etc. But I finally got some big work done to the bike and will be posting the updates when I get home from work.

STAY tuned.

#22 ·
Is that an Atari 2600 system on the vette?

Tail section1

#23 ·
Yes sir lol I also have 10 games with that system and two joy sticks :p

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

#24 ·
Hello I am really sorry for the long delay on the updates have been super busy and honestly have had no real time to work on the bike. But came across some free time today and really hammered down and got some major work done.

Let the update begin:

Few weeks ago some of my replacement parts showed up.

Woodcraft engine covers with red skid plates
huge shout out to fast316 for the subframe and black holder for the battery. you save me a ton! ty
big thanks to infinate719 for the CB front fender (awesome deal)
also a big thanks to Str8_Lurkin for coming through for me in a clutch way. He supplied me with my air ducts for the re-build and rear tyre huger.
Thanks to trackscoot22 for a awesome new clutch. Mine needed replacing thanks again!.
Galfer rotors front and back (big thanks to RR_600_RR of the forums for a sick deal!). I only got a chance today to install the rear rotor as my friend has my front stand LOL

here is a picture

Now here comes the fun part.

Fairings, I took a lot of time in deciding what style type color etc. I ended up going with something new, something I haven't seen around my city at all. I stayed away from the traditional red honda with black, or black honda etc.

Ended up going....white!

here is what they look like.

Now I ended up getting modifications done to the fairings as you can see. I had my nick name put on and some other things removed from the standard style.

For the most part the fairings fit with some issues.

looks sweet on the bike here is a few pictures

I am going to be doing some PC work to the bike soon so please stay tuned!

:ciao:

#26 ·
thanks I am actually thinking the same thing lol.

once all the "small" add ons are done going to be nice.

#29 ·
ebay Chinese

they if i was to rank them out of 10 they would get a 6-7. some places fit well where others are off. But I also need to do some adjustments to the plastics to make my line up better.

I am happy with them but I expected them not to fit 100%

#30 ·
warm weather is here, updates to come bug has hit me again :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.