Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Buying a cbr600rr

6K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  TribalCBR06 
#1 ·
Hi, i've just had a test ride on a 2005 CBR600rr with 29,000 miles on the clock....is there anything i should be looking out for?

The gears didnt seem 100% smooth changing down but could be that i'm not used to it.

It has service history from 9,000 miles and i've been directed to the thread re.mileages so i'm not worried its done 29,000:cruising:

Test ride was in traffic so never got to open it up,but seemed to pull well.
Front brakes were awesome:banger:

Any help/advice appreciated,thank you.

#4 ·
Look for gaps in the fairings, paint runs, just anything that looks odd or out of place.

Jake asked the most important question.

EDIT: £3000 is ~$4600. Not a good deal over here. Not even close to a good deal.

#5 ·
yea this side of the pond that would get laughed at by most but get bought by some sucker somewhere. Not sure how valuable they are over they but a bike like that here would go for around 3000. i paid 4400 $ for a bike with 7000 miles on it. Mint

#7 ·
does it have any aftermarket parts? exhaust or such like, that might be the reason for the price.

like the guys said, have a good look over it. you might get the price down if the tyres are old or squaring off, worn chain/sprockets or just anything that could need replaced

#8 ·
I would look at the chain and sprockets to see what type of condition they are in. Also, look at the tires to make sure they are not trashed. They are also negotiating points. As mentioned look at bar ends, rearsets, mirrors, engine case covers, passenger pegs, fairings etc to try and determine if bike has been down. In my neck of the woods, that is not really that great of a deal. But depending on your location that might be good, IDK though.

Mileage doesnt really worry me though, my 2007 has 23,000 on it and it still runs perfect. Talk to the guy and if he seems he took care of his bike and the bike goes through all the gears fine then its probably okay. Good luck.

If you get it post pics!!

Reactions: Big G
#9 ·
Thanks everyone.

The bike looks in good condition,nothing to suggest its been down the road.

Had a woman owner for the last 20,000 miles who had everything done and kept reciepts.
Its for sale at a bike dealers so probably a bit overpriced but seems about right for UK prices(i'm sure UK members will know)

Another question,i'm only 5 4",if the stock suspension is set softer will i be able to put more of my feet down without affecting handling? Dont really want to fit a lowering kit.

#21 ·
Thanks everyone.

The bike looks in good condition,nothing to suggest its been down the road.

Had a woman owner for the last 20,000 miles who had everything done and kept reciepts.
Its for sale at a bike dealers so probably a bit overpriced but seems about right for UK prices(i'm sure UK members will know)

Another question,i'm only 5 4",if the stock suspension is set softer will i be able to put more of my feet down without affecting handling? Dont really want to fit a lowering kit.
The price sounds about right. NADA (the agency that prices vehicles in US) estimates it at $3900 Low Retail, although of course mileage and maintenance will factor in.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2005/Honda/CBR600RR5-599cc/Standard-Equipment

The maintenance record/receipts are a big plus. For comparison my 06 has 30k miles and I keep maintenance records from day1 (no receipts though).

#10 · (Edited)
yeah stealerships can be pricey. although my 05 was 5.5k when I bought it & it was brand new, I clocked its 1st mile, so maybe worth haggling a bit.

are you paying cash or getting finance? my mate just bought a cbf1000 from a dealer last week & he got a grand off the asking price by haggling, just remember that you can shop around & go elsewhere, plenty of bikes out there mate.

where are you located?

btw I'm 5' 6", my suspension is set for my weight, I only put 1 foot on the ground at a stop. might not be the "correct" way but it works

#14 ·
Just scoot your ass over on your seat and only put one foot down. I have been doing it for the past 4 yrs or so. I wouldnt mess with the suspension at all. Or lower it so you can get used to holding up a bike, then you can raise the bike back up.

Reactions: Big G
#19 ·
awesome! :crackup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.