» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > Polls and Research

Polls and Research Take a poll and discuss your research here

Old 09-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
Rmenjivar
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motorcycle technician school

I want to sign up for motorcycle training, being able to work on sportbikes must be great, I live relatively close to two schools that offer motorcycle training programs, one is MMI otherwise UTI and the other school is Wyotech.

Can anyone here please relate your experience with either of these schools?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Rmenjivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
volcom440
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I don't have personal experience but my buddy went to MMI in Florida and he loved it. He's a mechanic now at one of the shops around here.

Sent from my iPhone 4s
Old 09-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
1/4milecrazy
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Having worked at a high performance auto shop and a motorcycle shop, I can say that if you ARE that passionate about working on bikes, and you TRULY enjoy it, DON'T do it for a living.

I absolutely HATE working on cars, 18+ years of being a mechanic ruined the joy. I pay someone to change the oil in my truck just so I dont have to do it.

I currently work at a motorcycle shop, and I dont like coming home and working on my own bikes. If I can do it at work I am fine, but when I have to come home and do it too, I hate it.

So if you want to invest in a school to work on your own stuff and do some work for your buddies or something then go for it, either one would not be a bad choice, they will both take you farther than you are right now. But if you are looking to get into the field and think you will love your job for the rest of your life, forget it. Keep doing what you're doing now.

Dont get me wrong, I love my job, but now fixing bikes, or cars for that matter, is the last thing on my "want to do" list. I used to LOVE it.

Street: 2009 CBR600RR Metallic black Track: 2007 GSXR 600 black/white/blue
1/4milecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
cbr6racr
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I have to go with Rich ^^^ on this one. All through high school I loved wrenching on cars and motorcycles. Always had something or another tore apart getting modded or repaired. Figured that would be something I would like to do for a career. Was running an independent repair shop two years out of high school, and had a cycle repair/customizing shop on the side. After a couple years of that, I hated picking up a ratchet to change my oil. I made the choice to go back to school and learn something else. Best decision ever. I enjoy working on my cars and bike again, and help others with their bike problems on the side. It may seem fun working on vehicles now, but when you have 14 customers who all need everything fixed and running like new, and they need it yesterday, it gets old, QUICK! Oh, and by the way, they feel they should only have to pay $6.95 for that engine replacement and tranny rebuild....

Tack on the cost of thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands of tools, and add in the time and cost of certifications every few years, and learning all the new systems of the new bikes/cars.....

I'm glad for what I know, because I won't need to ever go to a mechanic for something I can fix. The knowledge is invaluable. However, in my opinion, go to school for business, or a trade like welding. You can make d*mn good money and not have the broken knuckles, sore back, etc.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Rmenjivar
Training Wheel Hero

Excellent shares. Still though neither of you have gone to either school.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
etxx
Pocketbike Racer

i suggest go study a professional carreer. You like bike mechanics cars working on your own stuff. Study mechanical engineer. Give 4 years of your life to really learn something that will get you a technical job. This way you can still work on your own stuff from time to time and have the money for all the toys you want.

I did that. Now i work in a company that designs motorcycle engines. I have the time and money to work on my own toys. Sometimes i prefer pay someone to do the job while i chill in the office. Studying engineering was the best investment i made and i didnt even go to an expensive school. Between florida merits (decent high school GPA and mediocre SAT scores) my whole career cost like $5-6k. I'm working with people who spent $300k+ and we know the same things.

Shoot for the stars hope to get to the moon. You're shooting for the easy route that'll get you to the same place you are at right now. 20years from now you might make some progress. 20years from now, i'll be sending people in a spaceship to another galaxy (ofcourse just to give you a very unfair comparison. Go to college, not a tech school. Study Business so you can atleast run or own the repair shop and have technicians doing the hard work for you. Instead for making $100, i'd rather make 1% of the income from 100 people ; |

hope this inspires.
etxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
Rmenjivar
Training Wheel Hero

It's worth reading your comments, as such are the words of an engineer. Aspiring to go for a motorcycle technician career is just a recent idea of mine! Thanks for the comment.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
03cbr-rider
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I haven't heard too many positive things about MMI over the past couple of years by people unfortunately. What I'm normally told is that most shops like to have specific ways for their mechanics to work on motorcycles and cars etc. I didn't go to school or get training with mechanical work, but can tell you that it has a few benefits. First one being, regardless how much you think you know, you'll never know enough anyways. You can do something 20 times in a classroom and you may have to revisit a whole new approach in the future. There will always be something you need to work on that you haven't done before, and it's clearly something that takes many years to get decent at in a real world situation. I am nowhere near that point yet. You can build up your experience (my plan), so you can reference past jobs with something you're currently working on, but some stuff is just totally different. Also, You do things how the owner wants things done, not how MMI taught you. I can tell you that working on a customers bike that you will be responsible for, is NOTHING like tinkering on a motorcycle in your garage. It's not that it isn't fun, but there are many more things going on in your head to make sure everything goes smoothly and correctly. Funny story though, This spring an MMI graduate came in with a battery, he said he messed it up and needed it fixed. He put all of the acid in only half of the battery cells... I was the one (special ed student) straight out of high school who fixed it for him. Nothing more to say about that other than that's pretty funny. I would have to say that wrenching on motorcycles, cars, and other machines sure as hell beats sitting in an office all day with your thumb up your ass like some people... I'm in it for the knowledge, experience, and great people.
Advertisement