Virginia Tech BOLT Team Uses CBR600RR for Electric Superbike Platform : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > New Members

New Members New members MUST post in this section to introduce themselves to the RR family of ours. Failure to do so will prohibit posting in other forums.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
VT_BOLT
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Virginia Tech BOLT Team Uses CBR600RR for Electric Superbike Platform

Hello all,

I have registered to this forum on behalf of the Virginia Tech BOLT (Battery Operated Land Transport) team. We are an annual senior design project whose goal is to build a 100% electric superbike to race in the North American TTXGP eGrandPrix. Through ongoing research and development, the 2012 team successfully built a bike that went undefeated in competition for the 7.5 kWh award (limited battery capacity) while also placing 3rd overall in the “GP class” (includes bikes with unlimited battery capacity). The TTXGP is rapidly growing in popularity with series races held at high level venues such as Laguna Seca, Miller, Infineon and Portland International.

Building on this success, the 2013 team has made the decision to build a bike to compete solely in the “GP class”. This is the premier class, hosting professionally ranked teams and well known riders such as Bostrom, Rapp and Atlas to name a few. More information about the TTXGP may be found at www.egrandprix.com. We are looking for any support we can find for this year's project. The first objective is finding an 07' through 11' CBR600RR rolling chassis, or even just the frame. This was our platform last year, and our rider, Matt Kent, was very impressed with the handling. So we want to go the same direction this year. We think this forum will be a valuable resource for anything related to setting up our CBR600RR platform for pro-racing. For more information, our website is: http://www.bolt.org.vt.edu/

Also, we are looking for any sponsorship/support that we can get, please contact me for more information about how you can get involved.
VT_BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Nico
Administrator

Thanked 1,326 Times in 943 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome to the site mate.

Would be good to see you go through the build...

04 600RR

Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Str8_Lurkin
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Sweet! Mind posting pics of last years bike! I am a Hokie so I would love to jump on the opportunity to support you guys anyway that I can!

Best of luck! How come I haven't heard of this before?

<<Click HERE>>
Check out my NEW & Upcoming Company.
Producing and designing gear that you, the rider actually want.

Click HERE
f/s 03 trackbike, sharkskins , chrome rear
& MORE

03rr -FOR SALE
06yzf r6
- NEW
Str8_Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Inkslingerxx
VP of Metal Operations

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Subscribed

Inkslingerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
VT_BOLT
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the replies

Here is me on the bike at our last race, which was in Salt Lake City, Utah at Miller Motorsports Park!

Thanks for the replies, we are very excited to have this opportunity as part our college education. The best place to see up to date progress of what is happening with the bike is on our facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/VTBOLT

Our website:

http://www.bolt.org.vt.edu/

We also have a youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg62Ue_L2AiE9fJzh8waV9w

Please like and share! We post plenty of photos and videos regularly. I will try to post some updates in this thread as we move along with the build. Right now most stuff is still in the decision phase; battery, controller, but this is all mainly hinging on our ability to find a usable 07'-11' CBR600RR roller/frame for this year (title or no title). If you would like to donate parts, money, or advice, please feel free to message our page on facebook, or you can email me chrisp90@vt.edu and I will send you the details. We are working on an easier donation process which should be up and running in a few days. Everything goes through the school and then to the team for tools, parts, you name it!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
VT_BOLT
Training Wheel Hero

Sorry if we let anybody down here, but after a lot of hard design work and planning, we have determined that the CBR600RR lacks the room to house all of our massive electrical components for this year's team. We have decided to go with a GSXR1000 due to the large amount of space within the frame for the batteries, motor, and controller.

Something we need help with:

Does anybody have any track data from their CBR600RR for us to examine? We are attempting to finalize our component selection and would like the following from a typical lap: Throttle position, Speed, RPM, Gear. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by VT_BOLT; 11-11-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
SilentSun
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Damn,

Good luck with it none the less!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
BajanRR
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go Hokies!! Class of 2006.