2003 honda cbr 600rr wont start!! : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > New Members

New Members New members MUST post in this section to introduce themselves to the RR family of ours. Failure to do so will prohibit posting in other forums.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
willlusk
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 honda cbr 600rr wont start!!

hi i have a 2003 honda cbr 600rr w/ 43k, everything ran smooth and fine, no probs, always started right up... last week a girl i was dating accidentally broke my key off in the gas tank while we were at the gas station in the middle of the night, i fished out the half of the key and had to put both pieces in the ignition to get home, when i did the bike started right up and was fine... after we got home, the next day i couldn't turn on the bike and had to hire a locksmith to extract the bottom half of the key and make me a new one. after 30 min of trying and yanking and banging around the ignition and spraying something in it he finally got the key out, but the keys he made didn't turn the ignition they only would work in the gas and trunk. i took the original key to 2 other locksmiths and had keys made and none of them worked. last night i dipped one of the keys in gasoline and put it in the ignition repeatedly and i finally got it to turn on, the key barely works but i thought i could at least drive it to the shop to have them work on it now, but today the bike wouldn't start. the last time it was running was when i brought it home the night my key broke. It took me over 30 min of try to finally get the key to turn the ignition on, and i hear the fuel pump prime, the lights turn on everything seems fine but the starter just cranks, and it sounds like it is trying to start at first, i've tried giving it gas, nothing. when i try to push start it too it sounds like it is trying but very weak and as soon as i pull the clutch there is nothing, i feel like the pistons may be turning but there is no combustion or spark. what should i do????? did the locksmith maybe do something to my bike on accident? he was the only person to touch it, is there something he could have unplugged?? he was also spraying lots of some kind of liquid into the ignition and he was being very rough trying to get the key out, i think he may have damaged the lock and that's why non of the keys would work... please please please help!!!
willlusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
SuuScbr
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
ok so first dude calm down,

its not the locksmiths fault, its yours for putting a broken key in the ignition, yeah it got you home but that is where the trouble really started for you, but I hear ya, with a chick late at night gas station just get me home,

so if you key turns then the ignition is not broken completely the wafers may be bent inside due to you and the locksmith ramming things in there, but that wont stop your bike from starting, not turning the ignition will,

so if you get the following,

Ignition turns to on,
pump primes,
lights come on
and starter cranks

you are in a good position, for your bike there are 3 wires to the ignition,
1ground
1 power
1to the ecm to prime the pump,

if you get lights, and prime ignition checks out,

now do you have gas? if you do then check that off,

now you were saying the battery was showing a bit weak, you will need to get a car or battery charger and charge your battery or jump the bike with the car OFF I REPEAT OFF

some say off or on doesnt matter I say off, cause you dont need anymore questions or issues right now,

did you try to start it a bunch of times and never started it, battery could be drained these are not like car batteries where they will crank for a long time,

so first things first,

try and jump start it, if the battery is weak or very low in charge it will just crank the bike slowly and not have enough to get it to kick on, the starters on our bikes pull a lot of power,

so jump or charge the battery and see if it starts then,

after that we will worry about the key,

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttp://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
SuuScbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
SuuScbr
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
okay so after reading, do not give it gas, its fuel injected and dont try to turn it off and on and bunch of times, every time the fuel pumps pours a little fuel and you could flood it,

so since you said you dipped the key in gas, I guess to help lube it, and it worked with some effort, do that again and get the ignition to turn, then make sure, the pump primes and the lights all go on, and it cranks,

when you crank it is it fast? slow? dragging?

when push starting it are you in second? going about 7mph?

jump it, it will most likely cough and start, haha

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttp://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=256112
SuuScbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
willlusk
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
heyy thank you guys so much!!!! i still have no idea what the heck was wrong with it, i was about to take off the tank to pull the plugs to see if there was spark, but i decided even if there was or wasn't i dont have the tools to work on it here on the 10th floor of a parking garage which is where it was at... so i just tried to jump it from my car (had to have it running for more power) and hoped that i wouldn't burn out the starter, well after an hour of holding the starter for about 5 second intervals it finally fired up, it sounded so weird and smelled like gas fumes, not to mention idling very rough, after leaving it running for awhile is seemed to calm down... i have no idea what happened with it??? friend said run the tank out and then go put in the highest octane gas i can find and a fuel treatment... I live in orlando and am thinking about heading to daytona tonight with it, for biketoberfest... we'll see if i decide to head out or not in the next hour or so...
willlusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
redrr308
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
go to a dealer they can run the vin and have a key made from honda for that ignition. when i bought my 03 i got dog tag with like a 12 digit number on it so if something like this happened again(previous owner broke a key off in the gas cap) i could just go in say hey make a key for this ign and honda would send it out asap.
redrr308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement