» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Track Talk > Trackdays

Trackdays Privateers and Professionals

Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
grappler_123
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Take it to the track!

So, no, this isn't a thread for flaming those who do less-than-smart riding on the streets. This is a thread for those who haven't done a track day yet.

I did a track day yesterday for the first time in two years. My old sled was stolen last year, and due to military obligations I was unable to get to a track the year prior.

Being back on a track reminded me just how much you learn and grow during a single track day. I had a blast. I remembered just how much I had forgotten over the last couple years, and how much I learned on my first track day years ago. And I learned even more this time, all while experiencing what so many do not take advantage of.

For those of you that haven't done a track day yet, I'll say this (and I'm sure others will agree): You will learn more about you and your bike during a single track day than you will via years on the street.

The couple hundred bucks it costs to get out there is some of the best money you can spend. If you haven't done it, even (especially) if you are new to the sportbike scene, you need to get out there.

Good times.

Last edited by grappler_123; 10-29-2012 at 02:41 AM.
grappler_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grappler_123 For This Useful Post:
FlipDiver79 (10-29-2012), Nuttynu (10-29-2012), RandomGRK (11-12-2012), skoobie snacks (10-30-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Cheers mate !!

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuttynu For This Useful Post:
grappler_123 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
PattyK
Pocketbike Racer

I plan on doing my first track day soon. Cheers!
PattyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
havok289
Pocketbike Racer

I want to do a TD extremely bad, but because I'm poor it's proving rather difficult to start, the suit itself is gonna cost me near a grand at least, obviously there are cheaper options but I know if I do it I'll want to do it again, so no reason to skimp out. I'm looking forward to the day I get to do one!

- 2004 CBR1000rr - Sold
- 2008 CBR600rr - In action

->Spiegler SS Brake Lines
->Renthal grips
->China gold levers
->Brake Res. Delete
->Leo Vince SBK Slip on
->OES frame sliders
->HotBodies flush mounts
->CBR Heaven fender eliminator
->BKmoto 35w HID 6000k
havok289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
clx
World Superbike Racer

i notice track day guys always take off their mirrors and tape up their ligths. is this mandatory. id hate to change the balance of the bike by removing stuff (yes im over estimating the wieght of the mirrors, lol) . id prefer to take my bike onto a track as i ride it on the street.

2005 600rr 35700km
2001 Isuzu kb 320 V6 LX double cab 210000km
clx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok289 View Post
the suit itself is gonna cost me near a grand at least, obviously there are cheaper options
get on ebay man, we got my gf a one piece suit for 50 with all padding intact & in good condition. she too will get a proper suit one day, but til she can afford that, she can still do track days too.

plus TD's are F**KING AWESOME!!

that's my whole argument
swan-rr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clx View Post
i notice track day guys always take off their mirrors and tape up their ligths. is this mandatory. id hate to change the balance of the bike by removing stuff (yes im over estimating the wieght of the mirrors, lol) . id prefer to take my bike onto a track as i ride it on the street.
they advise mirrors off to stop you being distracted by whats behind you, you should be focused ahead.

the taping up of lights is to stop shards being thrown over the track in the event of an off & lights breaking
Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
TRIBAL05BLACK
AMA Supersport Racer

i would love to do a TD But it's hard to find a 1PC in size 56 US.....REALLY hard!
Here in Philly very few ride alone (mostly small crews) but even if they are alone and get run off the road, 20 other riders are just a phone call away. it wont be long before these idiots are over run by a Squid-Squad that'll leave those Tonka cars smoldering!!
TRIBAL05BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
AbnInf
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
I want to do a TD extremely bad, but because I'm poor it's proving rather difficult to start, the suit itself is gonna cost me near a grand at least, obviously there are cheaper options but I know if I do it I'll want to do it again, so no reason to skimp out. I'm looking forward to the day I get to do one!
I've rode at Arroyo Seco, NM. They have suits there you can wear. The trackdays are inexpensive. People have a big misconception about the costs, they think they have to have thousands of dollars of junk. It doesn't cost much to start out. You need a bike that can pass tech, boots, gloves, Snell helmet. You can even ride your bike there. There is no excuse except fear of the unknown.

http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/mctrackday.html

AbnInf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Niner1000RR
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBAL05BLACK View Post
i would love to do a TD But it's hard to find a 1PC in size 56 US.....REALLY hard!
I think I have one, in Blue...

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Niner1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niner1000RR For This Useful Post:
TRIBAL05BLACK (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
dzop95
Training Wheel Hero

im sure you have to be at least 18?
dzop95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Niner1000RR
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzop95 View Post
im sure you have to be at least 18?
Nope, if you're under 18 most tracks will just require a parental consent form.

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Niner1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niner1000RR For This Useful Post:
dzop95 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
Nope, if you're under 18 most tracks will just require a parental consent form.

on my very 1st trackday there was a 15 year old on a race 125 2 stroke & he was faster than a lot of the guys on bigger bikes (novice group). I was behind him in the pit lane waiting to be released & he was smoking me out with his oil burner
The Following User Says Thank You to swan-rr5 For This Useful Post:
dzop95 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
xcellflyer
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnInf View Post
I've rode at Arroyo Seco, NM. They have suits there you can wear. The trackdays are inexpensive. People have a big misconception about the costs, they think they have to have thousands of dollars of junk. It doesn't cost much to start out. You need a bike that can pass tech, boots, gloves, Snell helmet. You can even ride your bike there. There is no excuse except fear of the unknown.

This ^

And I'd like to touch on his last statement about excuses. I agree 100% and would like to add to it. Using the excuse I'm not good enough for the track is also not acceptable. There is a reason they have a beginning level. Track days are there for you to learn, not to be "good enough" to be on the track. Believe me, you will learn way more in one track day then you will learn in a year on the streets.
xcellflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xcellflyer For This Useful Post:
swan-rr5 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
fallingbomb
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Was that out at chuckwalla?

I like people who say they can't afford a track day then have spend hundreds upon hundreds on bike mods. For most places you can rent a suit. If you aren't picky on colors, you can find suits on clearance and get a $1000 suit for closer to $500. If you don't mind used, you can get something cheaper than that.

If you own a sportbike, you should have the rest of the gear already.
2007 CBR600RR -- CVMA #270 -- Pictures -- Build Thread
fallingbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fallingbomb For This Useful Post:
swan-rr5 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellflyer View Post
This ^

And I'd like to touch on his last statement about excuses. I agree 100% and would like to add to it. Using the excuse I'm not good enough for the track is also not acceptable. There is a reason they have a beginning level. Track days are there for you to learn, not to be "good enough" to be on the track. Believe me, you will learn way more in one track day then you will learn in a year on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingbomb View Post
so much truth in these two statements
Old 10-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #17
grappler_123
Lifetime Premium

Quote:

I like people who say they can't afford a track day then have spend hundreds upon hundreds on bike mods. For most places you can rent a suit. If you aren't picky on colors, you can find suits on clearance and get a $1000 suit for closer to $500. If you don't mind used, you can get something cheaper than that.

That was at Spring Mountain with TrackXperience. Thinking of doing Chuckwalla in November. I've heard good things.

Speaking of TrackXperience, they offer a new riders school to anyone who signs up for Level 1, for FREE. If anybody in the SW part of the country is interested in track days but are unsure of the intensity of the whole deal, this is a great way to not only get on a track, but also get hooked up with some very experienced riders who will personally follow you around all day and teach you how to ride better, or just plain how to ride a sportbike in general.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #18
grappler_123
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by clx View Post
Some guys leave their mirrors on, but most of the time they have to be taped and/or removed. I promise you though, removing the mirrors will not impact the dynamics of the bike at all.

Consider this: 600rr's and other sport/superbikes are designed to be tracked pretty much as is. The mirrors are mainly an afterthought. Our bikes were born to race, without mirrors.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #19
T-Rock8404
Knee Dragger

I need to do a TD soon... Hopefully very soon!
T-Rock8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #20
T-Rock8404
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler_123 View Post
That was at Spring Mountain with TrackXperience. Thinking of doing Chuckwalla in November. I've heard good things.

Speaking of TrackXperience, they offer a new riders school to anyone who signs up for Level 1, for FREE. If anybody in the SW part of the country is interested in track days but are unsure of the intensity of the whole deal, this is a great way to not only get on a track, but also get hooked up with some very experienced riders who will personally follow you around all day and teach you how to ride better, or just plain how to ride a sportbike in general.
I will be signing up def for a level 1. Do they rent out suits too?
T-Rock8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #21
DeathProof
Knee Dragger

^^^ that's what I hear.

I would do a track day but tracks are just too far and I have friends that ride but they would back out like b!tches.

Akrapovik slip on
tripage IT
shogun frame sliders
Watsen flush mounts
DeathProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #22
havok289
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnInf View Post

Thank you, I actually checked this out while at work, and it turns out one of my friends from work has somewhere we can stay in Las Cruces so I may be trying to get down there but it'll probably have to wait until next spring.

My bike will pass tech I assume, as long as it doesn't NEED to be safety wired. I have handroids, some full size boots from cortech and a suomy helmet so I'm good there, I'm assuming you didn't rent a suit from them but any idea on how much they charge for their loaners? I'm probably gonna pick up an alpine* leather jacket with my taxes this upcoming year so all I'll need to pick up is some pants to zip them to and I'm sure that will be good for a while.

Also I've heard from people around here that you have to be a member of the AMA (or some motorcycle association) to race on most tracks, is that true?

- 2004 CBR1000rr - Sold
- 2008 CBR600rr - In action

->Spiegler SS Brake Lines
->Renthal grips
->China gold levers
->Brake Res. Delete
->Leo Vince SBK Slip on
->OES frame sliders
->HotBodies flush mounts
->CBR Heaven fender eliminator
->BKmoto 35w HID 6000k
havok289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #23
Fastenough.
Knee Dragger

I'm going to my first track day this weekend, at Talladega GP and I can't wait.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
VT733
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

Well said!! Most orgs offer rentals for everything but a helmet and if they don't, they aren't novice friendly and I probably wouldn't ride with them. The good orgs will want to make it easy for "anyone" to try the track. Sportbikes are made for the track, so I don't see why anyone with a sportbike wouldn't want to at least try it. You have no idea what you are missing!!! IMHO quit wasting money on pointless cosmetic mods and do a trackday to test your skills and see what these bikes are really capable of.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #25
xcellflyer
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler_123 View Post

Don't even get me started with trackxperience! They are probably THE COOLEST MOST HELPFUL group of riders I know. I did their track day at Streets of Willow end of September (it was my first track day) and I never had so much fun or learned so much in my whole year of riding than I did on that day.

Leave your riding school vest on all day and let the instructors follow you around and teach you lines, body positions and answer all your questions, ALL DAY LONG! AND MOST DEFINITELY DO THE SCHOOL! (That's actually the only way to get the vest)

As for just how cool they are, I decided to stay another day (I had only planned for one day) and they found me a mattress to sleep on and let me sleep in one of their trailers! Their goal is to see you improve and have a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rock8404 View Post
I will be signing up def for a level 1. Do they rent out suits too?
I bet they do but I do not know for sure.

Quote:

My bike will pass tech I assume, as long as it doesn't NEED to be safety wired. I have handroids, some full size boots from cortech and a suomy helmet so I'm good there, I'm assuming you didn't rent a suit from them but any idea on how much they charge for their loaners? I'm probably gonna pick up an alpine* leather jacket with my taxes this upcoming year so all I'll need to pick up is some pants to zip them to and I'm sure that will be good for a while.

Also I've heard from people around here that you have to be a member of the AMA (or some motorcycle association) to race on most tracks, is that true?
The only thing u really need to worry about with your bike passing tech is the tires. There should be plenty of meat left on the tires. IN LEVEL 1, you do NOT need anything to be safety wired. You don't even have to change coolants (Though I really like waterwetter and it's cheap too). If you have a helmet, boots, and gloves, then you should be golden as you can most likely rent suits there.

You also do not need to be part of AMA to do a track day.

Now sign up and ride!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
boostedlt1
Pocketbike Racer

i've been wanting to do a track day for a while. just recently found out track near me might be closing down in april because the lease is up (hopefully the new owners/Indians keep it going tho)

how much do track days normally cost? i've always just assumed its about the same as road racing for cars which out here usually ranges form ~$120-250

also how "beginner" is the beginner class? i have no track experience other than watching twist of the wrist.. haha! i dont wanna be holding everyone up..

i'm in school right now so i dont really have extra money to throw around, i use that money for oil, tires, maintenance, etc... was gonna wait til i was outta school (3 semesters) then probably just buy a dedicated track bike that i can mess with. however i kinda wanna get out there just incase they close the track down to build a phuqing shopping center or casino.

Adam - Slocum Racing
'95 lt1. 355 - 9.4:1 - LE2 heads - LE cam - t70 @ 8psi (until i get moar fuel)
'03 CBR600RR - Two Brothers Slip-On
boostedlt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #27
xcellflyer
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedlt1 View Post
i've been wanting to do a track day for a while. just recently found out track near me might be closing down in april because the lease is up (hopefully the new owners/Indians keep it going tho)

how much do track days normally cost? i've always just assumed its about the same as road racing for cars which out here usually ranges form ~$120-250

also how "beginner" is the beginner class? i have no track experience other than watching twist of the wrist.. haha! i dont wanna be holding everyone up..

i'm in school right now so i dont really have extra money to throw around, i use that money for oil, tires, maintenance, etc... was gonna wait til i was outta school (3 semesters) then probably just buy a dedicated track bike that i can mess with. however i kinda wanna get out there just incase they close the track down to build a phuqing shopping center or casino.
Damn dude, did you not read anything we posted? lol...

Stop worrying about if you are "good enough" to be on the track!!!!!!! You are going to the track to BETTER yourself. You will not be holding anyone up! BEGINNER LEVEL is called that for a reason.

And yes, track days are usually between 100-200 a day, with most being right around the middle, 130-150. It's WORTH it!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #28
boostedlt1
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellflyer View Post
Damn dude, did you not read anything we posted? lol...

Stop worrying about if you are "good enough" to be on the track!!!!!!! You are going to the track to BETTER yourself. You will not be holding anyone up! BEGINNER LEVEL is called that for a reason.

And yes, track days are usually between 100-200 a day, with most being right around the middle, 130-150. It's WORTH it!

my bad, should've refreshed before replying, i had opened it up earlier in the day before most of the posts were there.

my main question was about price, sounds like a better value than an msf course! haha

i know i'll suck my first time out, not really scared to go out, i just was curious if the "beginner" was actually beginners or if it was kinda mixed. wasn't sure if there would be a high enough number of noobies like myself lol

was gonna ask about tech but looks like that was already answered as well

Adam - Slocum Racing
'95 lt1. 355 - 9.4:1 - LE2 heads - LE cam - t70 @ 8psi (until i get moar fuel)
'03 CBR600RR - Two Brothers Slip-On
boostedlt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #29
xcellflyer
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedlt1 View Post
my main question was about price, sounds like a better value than an msf course! haha

i know i'll suck my first time out, not really scared to go out, i just was curious if the "beginner" was actually beginners or if it was kinda mixed. wasn't sure if there would be a high enough number of noobies like myself lol
No worries man. Just pullin your leg!

No one "sucks" at the track and if anyone tells you you do, then they are stuck up assholes that aren't worth listening to.

Beginner will be mixed, but all you have to do is worry about where you are going. The "better" riders will go around you. You are not going to be holding anyone up. Trust me!

As for if it's a better value than MSF, it depends on how you look at it. MSF is generally used to teach you how to ride from the beginning and then it looks good to the insurance companies and gives you a little discount on insurance supposedly. Then you don't have to deal with the DMV riding test.

At the track you should atleast know how to ride the bike. You are going to be further improving your riding skills at the track.

I'm assuming you know how to ride correct? Shifting, stop/go? all that stuff? If so then, the track would be perfect for you and money well spent!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #30
LaWNMoWER
AMA Supersport Racer

If you think you're going to be slow at the track, someone else will be slower. Believe me when I say that.

Sent from my Galaxy S III
Advertisement