Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Tires, Suspension & Handling

Tires, Suspension & Handling Sticky to slippery tire talk

Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Swiss Cheese
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Tires (2012)

Hello All,

It is just that time to change tires. I just wanted to get the latest and greatest info on what everyone is using or any suggestions for my application.

I currently run in mid-pack/upper-pack intermediate at track days using pilot power 2CTs. I currently do not use tire warmers and won't be getting any time soon.

What tires would you guys recommend. I'm currently looking at power pures/power ones or bridgestone s20s/bt003. Do I need to get tire warmers for the power ones and bt003? What other tires are out there that would fit me.

Appreciate the help and thanks.

Swiss Cheese
Swiss Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Niner1000RR
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tire warmers are always recommended with any "race" tire. Heat cycles hurt tire performance.

As far as the tires, each have a benefit to them. I haven't ridden on a "street" tire in years so I'll skip that category. But on race tires, here is my thoughts.

B-Stones 003 - Excellent tire, great front end feedback. Rear spins up rather easily, but it's controlled and predictable. Tires don't last long AT ALL! Front or rear. Don't use them anymore due to durability.

Power Ones - Excellent tire, front end tends to "push" VERY easily, but always loved the tip in of the "V" fronts. Rear has incredible grip! But when it lets go, it does so with little warning and is more of a snap than a slide. Don't use them anymore due to the front tire pushes.

Conti Race Attack - Good tires, front didn't have the best feel, the rears I would put somewhere between the B-Stone and the Power One. Only ran them once as a test for a distributor for a potential sponsor. Chose not to go with them.

Pirelli SBK K3 - This is an older version I believe, I ran them for one session and changed them. Still have them like brand new. Won't ever try them again!

Dunlop 211's - I thought I would add these as it's what I am currently running. The DOT Race tire is an excellent tire! The front seems to last FOREVER! I am year to change a front tire because it was worn. I change it because it has to be losing grip here soon! lol I am yet to have a front push on me. And that's riding 3 seconds faster than when the PO's would push. The rears don't have the grip of the PO's, but it's better than the stones were. Wear on the rear is slightly better than the PO's or the b-stones were.

Now, I'll add the 211 USA Slick, I ran them for the first time at the race 2 weeks ago. The set is $25.00 more, and lasts a LOT longer! I got almost twice the tire life out of it and the rear had a LOT more grip!!!

Good luck and remember some tires require ride height changes for a fair comparison.

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Niner1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
get them SLICKS on

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Swiss Cheese
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks Niner1000RR

The feedback you gave was very informative and will definitely help me make my decision. Thanks again.

SC
Swiss Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Ry6rr
BOTY 2013 Winner & BOTM Winner 4/13

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Fast Bikes Magazine Ultimate Tyre Test

This resource is very good. Provides a knowledgeable and comprehensive overview of the latest tyres. Available from iTunes now for 1.49 (www.fastbikesmag.com/newsstand) and includes reviews of the following tyres:
  • Avon 3D Ultra Supersport
  • Avon 3D Ultra Xtreme
  • Bridgestone Battlax S20
  • Bridgestone Battlax R10
  • Continental Sportattack 2
  • Continental Raceattack
  • Dunlop Sportsmart
  • Dunlop D211 GP Racer
  • Metzeler K3 Racetec Interact
  • Metzeler K2 Racetec Interact
  • Michelin Power Pure
  • Michelin Power Cup
  • Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa
  • Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa

Well worth a read as it does not set out to tell you which tyre to buy but instead provides you with a raft of comparative data and information to better inform you which tyre best suits your needs.
Ry6rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
xrated
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Niner 1000RR...........The Michelin Power One was a decent tire, but the Power Cup that came out in late 2011 is just unbelievable. I had been running the Power Ones and agree totally with your comments on them. The Power Cups...........whole new ballgame totally. I am an Instructor with Sportbike Track Time and I started out the year with a new set of the Power Cups, the V front and the B Rear. I instruct in the Novice group and go out and ride in the Advanced group when I have time (not as much as I would like to) and I got........are you ready this.............13 track days out of the rear Cup and 14 days out of the front Cup, and the front is still got 3 or 4 more days on it, although I'll change it out before next year starts. I've never felt more confident on any tire that I've run and even at the Advanced level riding, I never pushed the front one time all year....other than getting on a tar snake or patched area. Trail braking to the apex is something that I do in many of the turns and it just sticks like glue. Anyway, if you get a chance to try them out, I really don't think that you will be disappointed in them. There was a discussion going on over on the WERA BBS a while back and quite a few of the racers over there are saying that they are even better than the UK NTECS......and that's saying a lot.

2007 CBR 600RR
2007 CBR 600RR..... Track Bike
2008 ST1300
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM
brmoore
This message has been deleted by Moeman. Reason: Spam and/or unwanted content
Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
Niner1000RR
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Niner 1000RR...........The Michelin Power One was a decent tire, but the Power Cup that came out in late 2011 is just unbelievable. I had been running the Power Ones and agree totally with your comments on them. The Power Cups...........whole new ballgame totally. I am an Instructor with Sportbike Track Time and I started out the year with a new set of the Power Cups, the V front and the B Rear. I instruct in the Novice group and go out and ride in the Advanced group when I have time (not as much as I would like to) and I got........are you ready this.............13 track days out of the rear Cup and 14 days out of the front Cup, and the front is still got 3 or 4 more days on it, although I'll change it out before next year starts. I've never felt more confident on any tire that I've run and even at the Advanced level riding, I never pushed the front one time all year....other than getting on a tar snake or patched area. Trail braking to the apex is something that I do in many of the turns and it just sticks like glue. Anyway, if you get a chance to try them out, I really don't think that you will be disappointed in them. There was a discussion going on over on the WERA BBS a while back and quite a few of the racers over there are saying that they are even better than the UK NTECS......and that's saying a lot.
Good to hear!

So you used to push the PO front easily too, and now you don't on the CUP at the same pace??

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Niner1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement