Might Have to Say GoodBye On Tuesday... : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
TRIBAL05BLACK
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Might Have to Say GoodBye On Tuesday...

So I got pulled over last week for my license plate being too low, by the California Highway Patrol. They pulled me over and had 3 officer's come in and look at my bike. Had me on the curb everything, searched me, searched the bike. They told me the bike was probably stolen, and they think my VIN # is tampered with. When I purchased the bike, I checked the VIN and the Seller's CA.ID. The name on the title and the VIN # Matched. Didn't see anything fishy to me. I got the bike insured and everything in my name. The registration is paid until September of 2013. So I'm legit as you can get. However, on Tuesday, I have to take my bike to the CHP offices in Redwood City, CA. They told me I have to leave my bike there for a few days while they perform "tests" on it. Well, they really think It's stolen. I don't. What would you guys do? What do you guys think? If it was stolen why the hell wouldn't they just tow it right then and there? Why would they let me ride it home, and around still (I told them this is my ONLY mode of transportation) Also. If the bike was stolen how would I possibly be able to insure a "stolen" VIN #? Any help would be appreciated. Personally I think this is a case of " Young Guy On A Sports Bike Being Harassed"... Any thoughts opinions anything? I'm scared shitless. If they take it, they take a piece of my soul, my transportation and I'm out $4K....Damn man, I hope NONE of you EVER EVER EVER have to go through this heart wrenching ordeal. Thanks guys.
Here in Philly very few ride alone (mostly small crews) but even if they are alone and get run off the road, 20 other riders are just a phone call away. it wont be long before these idiots are over run by a Squid-Squad that'll leave those Tonka cars smoldering!!
TRIBAL05BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

I don't know the laws in the US but that sounds like a crock of $hit to me. you're right, if they thought it was a stolen vehicle then surely they would have taken it the day they stopped you. as for "days of tests", what kind of tests can some cops do on a bike apart from check the numbers on the database.

sounds to me they're just throwing their weight around trying to show how big their d!cks are, we get stop checked in the UK from time to time & the cops here are a bunch of arrogant a$$holes too.

wow, I just got very pi$$ed, very quickly, I can't stand cops, my mother is married to one, he's an a$$ too, all they care about is meeting targets. I hope it all works out for you man, it would be a damn shame if they confiscated your bike, keep us posted

can't you check the vin yourself at the "dmv" or whatever it is

Last edited by swan-rr5; 11-04-2012 at 12:28 PM.
swan-rr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Baltimoron
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
What kind of documentation did they give you, if any?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Baltimoron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Moeman
**Miss O'Seven BOTY 2011**----- Triumph for Tarek

Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,767 Posts
Feedback Score: 144 reviews
One thing for sure i would call up free lawyer help and get some legal advise
http://lawhelpca.org/. what they are doing to you is totally BS

Honrary Chairman

In memory of SpdyG_AK , Close Assault & Phatstud
Moeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
X-treme1
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Did you get the bike registered in your name? If everything went through the DMV, I don't see how they could have missed it being stolen!
Maybe try consulting a lawyer. I understand you may not have the cash to hire one, but you may be able to get some free advise. Or find one that rides and he might take your case pro bono! You could even try getting help from your insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 Leyla
X-treme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 PM
brmoore
This message has been deleted by Moeman. Reason: Spam and/or unwanted content
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
TRIBAL05BLACK
AMA Supersport Racer

The title is in my name I didn't have to get it registered yet since the registration is good till sept of next year. I have title and yes I insured it. When they called in my vin the dispatcher said " 2005 Honda CBR black sold to a Joshua smith on 8/11/2012 by seller (name) " . So I think they are yanking my chain. Only document
I got was a "fix it" ticket to "fix" the VIN. This is such a stupid situation honestly it angers me

Here in Philly very few ride alone (mostly small crews) but even if they are alone and get run off the road, 20 other riders are just a phone call away. it wont be long before these idiots are over run by a Squid-Squad that'll leave those Tonka cars smoldering!!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
TRIBAL05BLACK
AMA Supersport Racer

I should get a Lawyer but I can't afford it :(

Old 11-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Moeman

The title is in your name , the bike is insured , but the registration and the plate are not in your name if you we're in FL you would get a ticket and the cops would think the bike is stolen due to that registration issue . You drive around with the registration and the insurance card not the title if you know what i mean .I would suggest for you to save yourself the hassle pay the fees and register the bike in your name at such point there cannot be any assumptions that the bike is not yours cause all main documents ( Title , registration , insurance ) hold one name you having two different names on such documents raises flags its that simple

Honrary Chairman

Last edited by Moeman; 11-04-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
adamcbr4lyfe
AMA Supersport Racer

Next time they ask you to come down ask them if your under arrest for anything. If they say no say have a nice day.
adamcbr4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
adamcbr4lyfe
AMA Supersport Racer

I hope you get your bike back also.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
rlee350
AMA Supersport Racer

How was the vin tampered with?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
rlee350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
TRIBAL05BLACK
AMA Supersport Racer

Moeman. Yeah I didn't
Think about the registration thing cause it was already paid for. I'm new to the whole transferring experience. But it's not that which raised any flags . Then say my VIN is tampered with. Yet numbers match the registration and the title. Hella weak situation

Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
TRIBAL05BLACK
AMA Supersport Racer

RLEE honestly I have no clue the numbers match and everything

Old 11-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
rlee350
AMA Supersport Racer

Does the plate on the bike look like it was welded on? Or anything like that?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
X-treme1
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just bring the title with you Tuesday and you should be good. It was processed through the DMV already so everything should be fine. You may want to go ahead and have it registered in your name, though.

2010 Leyla
X-treme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
rlee350
AMA Supersport Racer

Either way this is messed up. Honestly I would register it, get the fix it fixed, and f&@: them. If they wanted your bike they would have towed it right then and there. Your ticket was a fix it right? Most fix it's you do have to take it to the police and they verify it was fixed. Does the ticket say anything about the vin?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBAL05BLACK View Post
Moeman. Yeah I didn't
Think about the registration thing cause it was already paid for. I'm new to the whole transferring experience. But it's not that which raised any flags . Then say my VIN is tampered with. Yet numbers match the registration and the title. Hella weak situation

You know they can say what ever they want in the legal world documents do all the talking this is what I would do register the bike in your name you will get your own license plate with the new registration that right there should shut them up and kill their claims that the bike is stolen . There is no way I would drive my own property to their head quarters and leave it there to get abused
There is nothing to inspect looking at the vin plate to determine if it was tampered with or not should not take days no way . if God forbid the bike gets damaged while its in there possession they will not claim responsibility
If they did not give specific instructions in writing to take the bike to their head quarters I would not even bother with them just register the bike ASAP just in case you get pulled over again your document will be in order and make sure to give your insurance company the new plate number so your insurance documents state such number ie matching records on all your documents will stop any assumptions right there and then

Honrary Chairman

Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
ybm
AMA Supersport Racer

That's depressing sorry
ybm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
attran84
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
SO LAME. Get a lawyer if you tell him your case he may do it for "free" and take a percentage of you winnings?
attran84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
tary preisser
Moto GP Racer

lemme guess..... San Mateo cty again?

they are ......probably closing the loop on your last contact incident......

just shy of harassment?.....

tight little LEO community there.

be careful and get names........

it would help if all was registered in the same name
tary preisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
fonix36
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yet another reason socal>norcal.

gl with the bike situation. you deff want to hit the dmv tomorrow and register that breezy.

make photocoppies of the pink slip and bill of sale if you still have it
Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #22
Moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIBAL05BLACK View Post
The title is in my name I didn't have to get it registered yet since the registration is good till sept of next year. I have title and yes I insured it. When they called in my vin the dispatcher said " 2005 Honda CBR black sold to a Joshua smith on 8/11/2012 by seller (name) " . So I think they are yanking my chain. Only document
I got was a "fix it" ticket to "fix" the VIN. This is such a stupid situation honestly it angers me

Fix the vin ? My speculation would be to match the registration with the title ie register the bike in your name so get that done and stop at their head quarters they will inspect the documents , you pay the fee what ever it is get the ticket taken care of and get on your merry way should not be that complicated

Honrary Chairman

Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
wckedIntentions
BOTM winner 11/12

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I agree with Moeman, fix the registration and get some plates that are in your name and you should be good to go.

Im not sure your reasoning behind letting the registration stay in someone else's name but your supposed to switch it over to your name when you purchase/title a vehicle, at least thats the way it is in VA.

The registration "runs out" and needs renewed annually yes, but it also needs switched over to the new owners name when the vehicle is transferred. That way the vehicle is REGISTERED TO YOU. That proves ownership and responsibility for the vehicle. That's probably why they thought it was stolen.

You pay taxes on your personal property, and that is what the registration is partially for, if you bought it from someone and it still had "time before it expired" then you still have to switch it over and pay taxes from the time you took ownership, and the person selling it would be reimbursed for the time that they did not have it. So technically, by not registering it it your name at the time of purchase, you are forcing the person that sold it to you to pay taxes on it still, until it gets transferred into your name and on paper, it still looks like it is their bike and not yours.

I think Moeman has it right, if you get it registered in your name asap, you should be good to go... No issues, and i also agree in saying that unless you have something in writing, i wouldn't give the cops my bike for days, especially for something that would only take a few minutes to get some numbers.
wckedIntentions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
Moeman

Wcked Very well said you simplified the reasons & solutions thanks man

Honrary Chairman

The Following User Says Thank You to Moeman For This Useful Post:
wckedIntentions (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #25
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

Next time have them use lube.. Get documentation of exact why the "had" to impound your bike... And do you not have the slip/registration???

With that its no question and they can not and will not impound anything with out a legit cause.. There is no probable cause for an impound something doesn't add up.. And if its a false accusation they will be paying you for the bike wrongly taken. If not you will repot their office.. I see this all too often wih LEOs not knowing gun laws and spreading FUD.

Like above search for legal advice

My YouTube channel.

Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
adamcbr4lyfe
AMA Supersport Racer

Why not call them up and say I'm taking the bike back now. Either show me proof its stolen or I'm taking it. If they don't give it to you tell them you would like to fill out a stolen motorcycle report.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #27
JSchulte
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Here if you get a "fix-it" ticket, you address the issue and have it signed off on.

Here I'd get your papers in order, and go to the top of the chain department wise and have such signed off on. Explain the situation, show the untampered VIN, and matching documents. Coming across professional will get you far here I'm betting.
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.
JSchulte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
TRIBAL05BLACK
AMA Supersport Racer

Yeah the ticket I have just says they feel the vin has been tampered with. I've included a picture of the VIN cause I'm not sure. I'm going to forget it registered In my name tomorrow. But what if it turns out to be stolen? Then I lost
Like 200$ you know ? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1352062044.280465.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	30649

Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #29
TRIBAL05BLACK
AMA Supersport Racer

The ticket just says I have to have the vin checked or something

Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #30
MrRager
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
When I first saw the title I thought it was Halo 4 related.But after reading,that really sucks man!Hope everything gets sorted out quick and correctly.
MrRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement