accelerating/riding newb questions : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Track Talk > Riding tips

Riding tips A good place to gain &, share knowledge , information and tips about safe enjoyable riding .

Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy accelerating/riding newb questions

so i am new to manual, clutch even in cars for that matter... anywhore i am picking up quite quickly but still feel the bike clunky and unnatural when doing speeds below 30 especially during re-acceleration at junctions/roundabouts/speedbumps.. so my questions are:

1. below what rpm should your clutch never be fully engaged?
2. should you downshift into first if you get to say 5 mph at a speed bump or only do so at full stops?
3. is downshifting into first always that clunky?..(clutch fully disengaged..doesn't slow down though. still very clunky)
4. WHAT THE F*** low speed maneuvers up an incline??

questions are intended for slow speed, quiet, early shifting, not-too-much-leaning kinda riding (the kind you'ld do infront of cops or around your 'loving and supporting' neighbors)

Last edited by sameh90; 11-04-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: i wanted to edit
sameh90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
wckedIntentions
BOTM winner 11/12

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
These are just my opinions (not to say right or wrong, just what I personally do/have done)

Try to be gentle on the clutch/throttle. Smooth roll on/off with the throttle, and smooth/gentle with the clutch lever.

1. Im not sure what you mean by this question, you can engage or disengage the clutch at any rpm and should be ok, but personally i am never on the clutch for more than a second or 2, i only use it to shift up or down, i don't pull it in and coast around on it.

2. I guess it depends, at 5mph, i would probably be in first gear for a speed bump, but again, nice and easy with the throttle.

3. Downshifting into first i suppose can feel a bit "clunky" but a lot of that depends on how you are downshifting too though. From what rpm, did you rev match the downshift etc.

4. Not sure if this one was a statement or a question, but with good throttle control, low speed maneuvers up an incline shouldn't be too difficult.

Sounds like more practice would help, find a quiet place with no one around and try some different things. Use a hill to practice good clutch control and quick smooth launches, practice throttle control with smooth roll on/off while doing slow speed maneuvers...

Good luck and be safe.
wckedIntentions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wckedIntentions For This Useful Post:
sameh90 (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

in q1 i mean like when you are entering a tight roundabout, just downshifted say into 1st or 2nd rpms are pretty much idle so you want to twist the throttle just after beginning to lean..so do you do it (throttle twist) while clutch being fully engaged (engine feels unhappy when i do) or should you feather you feather while rpms are 3k? ..5k?

3. Just kicking down into 1st with clutch lever fully in feels clunky..haven't come to rev matching or releasing the clutch lever yet
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Ccdel237
Pocketbike Racer

It just takes practice. I drive stick everyday but the first time I got on my 600rr I did terrible. The gearing is really weird. It just takes time. One REALLY BAD HABBIT newbs have is leaving it in a higher gear to keep it smooth. Learn to control the lower gears with good throttle and clutch control. After a while it becomes second nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Yukimoto
Training Wheel Hero

I was pretty new to the whole manual thing too. Had my bike since june. Put on about 6k miles since.

I always try to keep the rpms above 3k. Theres no power under that incase u need to speed up.

I use the clutch to coast to stops a lot because engine breaking is strong due to no slipper clutch. Shouldnt wear the clutch because these bikes have a wet clutch.

On hills, make sure u put good use for the rear brake so you dont have to keep ur hand on the front brake for better throttle control.

Yukimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccdel237 View Post
One REALLY BAD HABBIT newbs have is leaving it in a higher gear to keep it smooth. Learn to control the lower gears with good throttle and clutch control. After a while it becomes second nature.
So is it natural to feather for say 5-10 seconds around a roundabout and out through the exit while in lower gears.. it just doesn't feel right, cagers and pedestrians keep staring at me like: WTF is that idiot doing??
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Kickb0xzr
Knee Dragger

more neighborhood riding...
Kickb0xzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
Ccdel237
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh90 View Post
So is it natural to feather for say 5-10 seconds around a roundabout and out through the exit while in lower gears.. it just doesn't feel right, cagers and pedestrians keep staring at me like: WTF is that idiot doing??
Sometimes it feels more violent than it actually is. That's why it is hard to get right. But if you have good throttle and clutch control you should be able to do it smoothly. High gears are fine to use, especially if you are trying to save gas but you have a lot less control. Your input has very little affect in higher gears, that's why it's so smooth. It's more the road controlling the engine than you. But if you have to make a snap decision youre better off in a lower gear. It's best to learn how to control the bike in low and high gears.

sameh90 (04-06-2013)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

mmm okay ... so sometimes i find myself in 2nd ..rpm around just 2k or less, clutch fully engaged speed around 10-15 mph (randabout).. is it normal to feel the engine like a phat diesel jumping around..is it bad for the engine..or is the engine bad..or is that a situation that should be avoided all together.. and should rev and feather through..

I know it is something i'll gain a feel for and master with time but sometimes getting the instruction from guys who already built that second nature makes learning faster.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #10
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

I think mastering the feel of the throttle, clutch and brakes (and shifting) is better done in a straight line first, then you can take the corners really slowly at first by applying what you learned in a straight line and then later speed up as required. I have had moments when I downshift without blipping and releasing the clutch a bit too quickly and the back end would spin a bit. Totally fine, once you start getting comfortable with a feeling like that it is good because you won't panic when it happens unexpectedly, or when you are not focusing a 100%. But maintining control over the bike at all times is paramount and you want to avoid doing that especially in the beginnnig stages of learning.

It is always controversial when you ask if you should blip the throttle or feather the cluth to control the rpms while slowing down. To each his own, obviously we are talking street riding (track is a different story) so learning to blip the throttle will improve your multitasking ability and make you practice more efficient.

Try slowing down from moderate speeds (in a car park or closed environment) and experiment with both techniques until you find what suits you. I prefer blipping the throttle personally but again, to each his own. First gear is usually the clunkiest but for peace of mind get your clutch system checked just in case.

Good luck.

Co-President of Team46

Married to Shin Soo-Ji (7/7/2013)

Amat Victoria Curam

Last edited by Rad Rage; 11-05-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Rad Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rad Rage For This Useful Post:
sameh90 (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

thanks for the info but still i ddnt get the answer :
Quote:
..is it normal to feel the engine like a phat diesel jumping around..is it bad for the engine..or is the engine bad..or is that a situation that should be avoided all together.. and should rev and feather through..
Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
thanks for the info but still i ddnt get the answer :
The answer is in my post, did you read every word? We have to hear the sound ourselves to truly judge, that is why I recommended you get the clutch system checked.

If pedestrians are looking at you like you are doing something wrong, ignore them. But if your engine is screaming when you are going round a curve and the bike feels all over the place, then obvioulsy this isnt normal. It is rider error/inexperience. You are in too low a gear is the first thing that comes to mind. Try going through the same curve at the same speed in a higher gear.

Co-President of Team46

Married to Shin Soo-Ji (7/7/2013)

Amat Victoria Curam

Last edited by Rad Rage; 11-05-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Rad Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rad Rage For This Useful Post:
sameh90 (04-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement