Sliders and Safety! : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sliders and Safety!

So frame sliders (engine, mid, and swingarm)..they protect your fairings..great! what about you? what do they do in terms of your safety?

A) They improve safety preventing the bulk of the bike squashing your legs in a low side (especially front).

B) They act as sharper irregularities that can F you up in a low side. not to mention concentrating the bike weight on a tiny point (especially those mid and rear ones if god forbid you end up under them).

C) They are just meant for fairing protection in a tip over, they haven't been studied with regard to bike or rider safety in a crash.

D) They protect the fairing from tip over but worsen things in a crash as they increase the likelihood of barrelrolling rather than just sliding.

E) They are meant for tip overs and slides (low sides) heeeeeence the name sliiders but then again with only the bike in mind (just jump off the bike idiot).

F) They look cool like a BMX bicycle so you can stand up on them an...ok j/k :p ...what do you think A, B, C, D or E and whats your backup? (statistics, newsletter article, recognized safety instructions, personal, etc..)
sameh90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
salsaleh
AMA Supersport Racer

frame sliders = protection for the frame, which is the most critical part in case a crash happens

swing arm spools act as mounting points for some stands, however in case of a fall having them could provide some protection to the swing arm

Your daily dose of pre-workout motivation, fitness articles, and whatever it takes to go beast-mode on em

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Painan...40363356065027
salsaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salsaleh For This Useful Post:
sameh90 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

i beg to differ .. i think the frame is solid enough and deep below the soft fairings so its well protected. i assume frame sliders are called so because they are in reality an extension to the frame outside the fairing hence the frame would take the hit instead of the soft fairings, the side of the radiator, etc. in case of a small crash...but then again what do i know i am just speculating.

Anywho... any ideas on how they affect rider safety?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
swan-rr5
AMA Supersport Racer

found this - lots of opinions

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=34320

and this - fun if you like quizes

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-...over-quiz1.htm

how they affect rider safety? no idea, you'll most likely seperated from the bike in a crash. Can't find any reference to anyone being hurt by their own sliders
swan-rr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swan-rr5 For This Useful Post:
sameh90 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM
brmoore
This message has been deleted by Moeman. Reason: Spam and/or unwanted content
Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

mmmm ... so basically its safety gear to the bike irrelevant to rider
Old 11-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
PattyK
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh90 View Post
mmmm ... so basically its safety gear to the bike irrelevant to rider
Pretty much. That's why the rider has their own safety gear!
PattyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyK View Post
I was just worried they pose risks to the rider
Old 11-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

Ok before I jump in and spend time fully answering this OP did you do any research at all or is this all just a self proclaimed answer you came up with watching orange country choppers one night in the clutch and screamed out eureka...

So 1 where did you get this crash information?

2 have you ever or know anyone who has been down in a crash (personally)?

3 have you ever been in a crash your self?

4 what brought on this thought process of yours..?

Because there is a lot I can disagree with your original post in my pre crash research and from my personal experience of me actually going down my self and seeing the damage and effect on the bike body and sliders your talking about..

And I do understand not all 2 crashes are the same but my crash opened my eyes to A LOT of things. I would just like to see if this was a random thought of yours and opinion or if your saying this as a statement of fact.

My YouTube channel.

Support your troops, Not your government.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CK_32 For This Useful Post:
helghast7 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
AF600RR
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Ok before I jump in and spend time fully answering this OP did you do any research at all or is this all just a self proclaimed answer you came up with watching orange country choppers one night in the clutch and screamed out eureka...

Because there is a lot I can disagree with your original post in my pre crash research and from my personal experience of me actually going down my self and seeing the damage and effect on the bike body and sliders your talking about..

And I do understand not all 2 crashes are the same but my crash opened my eyes to A LOT of things. I would just like to see if this was a random thought of yours and opinion or if your saying this as a statement of fact.

I dont think he is saying that they are designed for all of the above he mentioned, he just wanted an insight into peoples reasons for installing them and listed as many reasons as he thought people may use?
AF600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AF600RR For This Useful Post:
sameh90 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

I'm just really lost on the part where he asks about our Saftey... Reason why I'm asking him to clear up my confusion I have with the post.. So I can see if I can answer clearly before I answer.

My YouTube channel.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
AE4ME
Training Wheel Hero

I've seen a lot of talk about things like this. Haven't heard of anyone being hurt by their sliders either as you'd either get thrown or separate from your bike as you went down.
IMO frame sliders protect the expensive fairing from low speed or stationary drops as we're all aware, I'd imagine they'd benefit in the event of a high speed slide as well, though on a road would probably slide right off the road then flip and get smashed to bits haha.
Seen some talk about sliders creating more damage ie causing the bike to flip so really depends on the situation.
I'm currently looking at sliders myself though

Please wait..... Erasing chicken strips
AE4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AE4ME For This Useful Post:
sameh90 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
TribalCBR06
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyK View Post

The sliders offer no safety protection for the rider, only the bike.

Remember that the bike itself is a 400lb machine that can crush your body parts, so no part of the bike is really made to protect the rider. In a crash your best option is to separate yourself to the bike if possible.

I have had frame sliders since I owned my bike. It has saved the fairings from a standing drop and also very slow crashes. In the event of a high-speed crash, it may or may not protect the bike.

nothing can protect your bike from a barrel roll so as much as possible try to lowside

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
TribalCBR06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
rkoe17
Knee Dragger

By the far the best sliders I've seen for a CBR are Motivation USA sliders, non-cut for my old 08. Expensive but VERYYY worth it.

Wreck at 50 mph at NJMP Thunderbolt. Low sided then bike flipped 3 TIMES in the dirt. Although my plastics exploded, my frame was UNTOUCHED and had minimal, and I mean minimal, scrapes on my cases, both sides. And the Swing arm spools saved my swing arm as well. Not a scratch on that but I did need new spools, who cares? Sliders Definitely do you their job, as long as you buy quality pieces, no ebay sh!t.

Although some chinese stuff is nice. lol Plastics and levers of course.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
rkoe17
Knee Dragger

Here's a link: http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...?idproduct=332

High quality billet aluminum, and personally installed and tested! Definitely a good investvent. Although I can't atest to their rider protection as I pushed away from the bike as I went down.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post

cool down bro...it's just that most of the times i ask a question on any forum i get philosophical answers that really lead nowhere, so i thought might get an answer by providing possible solutions.. just like the SAT :p. now where did I get the different possibilities .. no its not a random thought neither a statement of fact..i did some research..found some opinions ..wasn't convinced by any as is the case with aftermarket parts that aren't meant to replace oems parts.. so did my own brainstorming to possibly convincing answers.... if u want me to write down my train of thought ..sure but thats gonna take a while
-- however one possibly wrong assumption i made was i just assumed they are mounted on the frame since: 1. they attach somewhere under the fairing. 2. the name frame sliders. 3. i think its stupid to mount them the engine and have the engine bear the bikes weight if dropped..if thats the case..well then forget the part where i said they transfer load of impact to the frame

Last edited by sameh90; 11-08-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
sameh90
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedf View Post
I dont think he is saying that they are designed for all of the above he mentioned, he just wanted an insight into peoples reasons for installing them and listed as many reasons as he thought people may use?
Thank you!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
PattyK
Pocketbike Racer

People also need to keep in mind that shorter sliders will not be as likely to flip the bike like some are saying. The problem with longer sliders, while they will protect the fairing better at standstill/ low speed drops, they most likely will catch on to something at higher speed lowsides and that will cause the bike to flip. That's why favorites around here are sliders such as the woodcrafts.
PattyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
CK_32
Moto GP Racer

I am calm I just wasn't sure if it was an idea thread a well I heard or a media type "sliders kill thousands read below" type thread...

I'm just trying to figure out what your intentions were and just wanted to see what was actually trying to be answered..

But in simple and short if I'm correct ill try to answer what your liking for

Yes frame sliders are not made to protect rider but the bikes frame and half the bike slide than bounce around

No they do not cut or harm people any more than any other part of the bike ie handle bars unless some fluke of nature

They are not made to protect fairings but some do in certain crashes but there is no garantee mine actually did a great job at a 50MPH crash assure from my mirrors and side tail and a tiny edge of my front side fairing. Literally almost the same amount of damage as when I dropped it at 5 MPH during a wash out of my driveway to turn it around and out back in the garage.

For frame and fairing protection look into stunt/race rails that's what they are designed to do..

Hope this helps

My YouTube channel.

The Following User Says Thank You to CK_32 For This Useful Post:
sameh90 (11-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement