Well I guess it was finally time to upgrade the cage... : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Off Topic > Off Topic & Flame Thrower

Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

Old 11-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
thirdgenlxi
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well I guess it was finally time to upgrade the cage...

Been driving my old 1989 Honda Accord for the past 12 years now, it's been an amazingly great car, hands down! But the roadsalt has definitely not been kind, and after 23 years and nearly 434k miles she's really starting to show her age. Still runs great but the body is rusting bad and starting to get lots of little things that will need attention. So I decided it was finally time to find something a little newer and nicer, and a little more practical for what I need now. With 3 dogs, it got a little crazy in the back seat of the Accord, so I needed something with a decent amount of space for them to be comfortable and not stepping all over each other. Also wanted something I could sleep in out of the weather at trackdays and whatnot... seats fold down flat so it's perfect. And also wanted something that could tow a trailer fairly easily, and this has plenty of power for my towing needs. And still gets decent MPG to boot! Still keeping the old Accord as more or less a back up incase something happens with my job or whatever and I've gotta ditch the payment and sell it, I've still got a set of wheels that nobody can take away

I work as a tech at a Ford dealership and noticed this out on our lot... '07 Edge SEL... clean as can be inside and out and obviously well cared for... it's literally spotless other than one small scratch on the top of the rear bumper. Worked a pretty dang good deal with them (pretty much at cost, which was almost $4k below NADA value, and OTD still almost $3k under). Signed my life away today and brought her home.... I think I'll be real happy with it. Only thing I wish was that it was manual trans, but oh well beggars can't be choosers, right?? lol. Does have pretty much everything else but navi though.... not bad. And being a Ford tech I know about whatever issues the different cars might have, and these have next to none (an occasional rear wheel bearing is about it).... very good, reliable cars. As much as I would have liked to stuck with Honda since they've always been so good to me, fact of the matter is for what I was looking for the newer Hondas were just way out of my price range. For what I got here I really couldn't beat it. Runs & drives like brand new!

Snapped a few pics before I left

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 282,000 miles and still kicking
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 437,700 miles still running strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
thirdgenlxi
AMA Supersport Racer

Plenty of space for critters

Nice and simple.... I don't like overly complicated

Automatic A/C and heated seats

Not sure I'll ever use memory seats but oh well, lol

Steering wheel controls are nice

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
Old 11-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
sincalirider
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,180 Times in 895 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Aww, now your username won't make any sense. lol

Congrats on the car, I hope the dogs' nails keep from tearing up the leather seats. Are those rebadged Mazda CX-7s? A friend has one and it's been a great vehicle so far to him over the last 4 years.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
CepheiA
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"How to get 400k+ miles from your car" by thirdgenlxi

I would buy that book.

Enjoy the new vehicle.

FLUTTERSHY
600rr.net Crash Stats: Will You Crash?
WTB: Unlocked BLACK Nexus 5
CepheiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
thirdgenlxi
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
Aww, now your username won't make any sense. lol

Congrats on the car, I hope the dogs' nails keep from tearing up the leather seats. Are those rebadged Mazda CX-7s? A friend has one and it's been a great vehicle so far to him over the last 4 years.
Hahah true true.... lol. And yea it's pretty much a CX-7 in Ford guise. Gonna keep the dogs in the back part and get one of those cargo area liners to put down and help keep everything clean... def don't want claws on the leather, haha. Might even get some hard crates for the smaller ones.... it's really safer for them (and me) that way too

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Fly_Killer
AMA Supersport Racer

Congrats!
Friend of mine has a CX-7 and i just drove it the other day. Very nice and smooth ride plus it fits your needs right now.

That thing looks new - take care of it like you took care of Honda.
Make sure you keep Honda at least until it hits .5 MILLION miles

You should open your own mechanic shop and use Honda as advertising. Half a mil sounds like you're a good mechanic

BTW '87 Accord Lxi, 4dr, silver, 5spd MT with sunroof and all the power options was my first car - never left me on the road (200k when i sold it) - loved it and drove it for 8 years and changed the clutch once and brakes twice...nothing else. Oh i repaired the alternator once by replacing the brushes with the ones from a vacuum cleaner ;)

I had cash in my hand 10 minutes after putting a "For Sale" sign on it. I guess my neighbor loved it too
Do what you like, like what you do. LIFE IS GOOD
Fly_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
thirdgenlxi
AMA Supersport Racer

Oops apparently the bottom part of my post got cut off.... didn't post the whole thing, lol. The rest....

Has the big Vista roof too which I really like

Lowest mileage car I've had in a looooong time, lol

3.5L V6 (the same one they're using in evvvverything now, including the EcoBoost)... plenty for what I need it for, and still gets decent mileage

Sorry for so many pics, just excited to finally actually have something nice, lol. I think I'll be quite happy with it... already a few small mods planned! haha (getting rid of all the chrome... front grille and foglight bezels will be painted to match for a monochrome look, some interior LED's and change the instrument cluster color with some brighter LED's, smoked headlights and maybe taillights from the '09-10 sport models, factory navi, etc..... all in due time though, just future plans)

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
thirdgenlxi
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Killer View Post
Congrats!
Friend of mine has a CX-7 and i just drove it the other day. Very nice and smooth ride plus it fits your needs right now.

That thing looks new - take care of it like you took care of Honda.
Make sure you keep Honda at least until it hits .5 MILLION miles

You should open your own mechanic shop and use Honda as advertising. Half a mil sounds like you're a good mechanic

BTW '87 Accord Lxi, 4dr, silver, 5spd MT with sunroof and all the power options was my first car - never left me on the road (200k when i sold it) - loved it and drove it for 8 years and changed the clutch once and brakes twice...nothing else. Oh i repaired the alternator once by replacing the brushes with the ones from a vacuum cleaner ;)

I had cash in my hand 10 minutes after putting a "For Sale" sign on it. I guess my neighbor loved it too

Oh yea I'd still like to try and see 500k out of the Accord... not a doubt in my mind it wouldn't make it there either. Seriously this car just absolutely will not die, lol.... in the 12 years I've had it it's been on a tow truck one time, and that was earlier this year when the alternator went out and I was about 40 miles from home and it was nighttime (I prob would have made it if it wasn't for the headlights! haha). Other than that been rock solid reliable. But a bunch of other little stuff is starting to pop up that needs fixing (not to mention the muffler fell off, lol). Really are great cars though, it's needed next to nothing in repairs over the years... A20A1/A20A3 is damn near legendary bulletproof! Those pop up headlights on a 4 door car will always have a special place in my heart....

That's awesome on yours too! Were you ever on the 3geez.com forum at all??Whole forum specifically for 3rd gens, we started it back in 2000 and it's still going strong to this day

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
clx
World Superbike Racer

congrats, really nice ride.

if you ever sell the cbr we will hunt you down. want to see it go to 300K miles. i was really concerned when i read the caption.....

2005 600rr 36300km
2001 Isuzu kb 320 V6 LX double cab 212000km
clx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
underoath1122
Pocketbike Racer

Nice clean car. But an 07 with close to 100k miles already Someone drove it constantly. But it still don't match up to your 400+k miles on your Honda lol

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

03 cbr 600 rr
underoath1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
orientexpress11
Resident Arai Freak

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
At least you'll have a nice tow vehicle for the F4i.
orientexpress11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Fly_Killer
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenlxi View Post
Were you ever on the 3geez.com forum at all??Whole forum specifically for 3rd gens, we started it back in 2000 and it's still going strong to this day

Oh man i never knew about 3geez, otherwise i'd probably still be driving it haha. When i sold it, the car was 20 years old and the paint looked like new which is unheard of. Arizona sun is not very gentle on paint.
I used to wash it 4 times a week, then i bought a brand new Maxima and washed it 4 times a year

Anyway, best of luck with new ride!!!
Do what you like, like what you do. LIFE IS GOOD
Fly_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement