» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > 07-13 RR Modifications

07-13 RR Modifications Modifications to the '07- to 013 600RR

Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Starlane Engear

Thinking of getting this gear indicator; according to the user manual it is Plug N Play. 2 years warranty included. Thoughts?

http://www.starlane.com/vedit/15/cro...sp?idprod=1072

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
Rad Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
AleksV
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I don't see a price?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

price is 90 USD, but I just found out it isn't plug N play, so never mind. Will wait until a GiPro or a Geartronic is offered at a good price.

Co-President of Team46

Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
RollingBlackOut
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i have the starlane and no, it's not plug n play. Not too hard to wire up. Instructions are clear. I had a hard time initially programming it after wiring it up, but it was my fault. one of the wires was not fully plugged in which wouldnt allow the gear indicator to read the rpms.

other than that, i have had it for almost 7 months and have had no issues. I love it, especially the blue light shift indicator.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingBlackOut View Post
i have the starlane and no, it's not plug n play. Not too hard to wire up. Instructions are clear. I had a hard time initially programming it after wiring it up, but it was my fault. one of the wires was not fully plugged in which wouldnt allow the gear indicator to read the rpms.

other than that, i have had it for almost 7 months and have had no issues. I love it, especially the blue light shift indicator.
Glad to know, thanks for the feedback. I will keep it in mind.

Co-President of Team46

Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Since you're not getting it, it probably doesn't matter, but I would stay away from this POS. It was installed on my bike when I got it so maybe somebody else has had a better experience. When shifting gears, it's often wrong. The worst is when coming to a stop, it shows the wrong gear quite frequently - anything from 2nd to 5th at times and it rarely shows neutral/1st switches correctly, although you could argue there's the light on the gauges (but this thing's brighter and easier to see). The worst thing is that there's a delay when it's switching. Sometimes I look down to check the thing is right and I realize that I already know what gear I'm in and most of the time I look at the thing I just want to see if it's actually working right, which it is in general, but it's wrong often enough that I don't trust it.

I guess my real problem with it is that I find a gear indicator is totally useless. I know what gear I'm in from my speed, the sound of the bike, RPM indicator if I look at it. I don't ride track so maybe it's useful there, but it's a waste of money on the street for me. Not saying don't get it, do what you like with your bike, but having had this with my bike, I would never get another one. I'll probably have this removed when I get any major service done.

Note that the design hasn't changed since it was made. This one's at least 2 years old now, probably quite a bit more. If you do get one, I suggest 3M Dual Lock velcro to attach it. The regular velcro came loose and glue wasn't effective either after a while.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaku View Post
Since you're not getting it, it probably doesn't matter, but I would stay away from this POS. It was installed on my bike when I got it so maybe somebody else has had a better experience. When shifting gears, it's often wrong. The worst is when coming to a stop, it shows the wrong gear quite frequently - anything from 2nd to 5th at times and it rarely shows neutral/1st switches correctly, although you could argue there's the light on the gauges (but this thing's brighter and easier to see). The worst thing is that there's a delay when it's switching. Sometimes I look down to check the thing is right and I realize that I already know what gear I'm in and most of the time I look at the thing I just want to see if it's actually working right, which it is in general, but it's wrong often enough that I don't trust it.

I guess my real problem with it is that I find a gear indicator is totally useless. I know what gear I'm in from my speed, the sound of the bike, RPM indicator if I look at it. I don't ride track so maybe it's useful there, but it's a waste of money on the street for me. Not saying don't get it, do what you like with your bike, but having had this with my bike, I would never get another one. I'll probably have this removed when I get any major service done.

Note that the design hasn't changed since it was made. This one's at least 2 years old now, probably quite a bit more. If you do get one, I suggest 3M Dual Lock velcro to attach it. The regular velcro came loose and glue wasn't effective either after a while.

Wow, if I was still adamant on buying it, I certainly wouldn't be after your feedback. Thanks anyways, certainly opened my eyes more, and I won't be installing a gear indictaor unless I know it is a quick and error free one. So more research and more waiting for now.

Co-President of Team46

Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
Wow, if I was still adamant on buying it, I certainly wouldn't be after your feedback. Thanks anyways, certainly opened my eyes more, and I won't be installing a gear indictaor unless I know it is a quick and error free one. So more research and more waiting for now.
It's possible mine's not set up right, but I don't think so because it always reads the right gear in the end, just takes a second to get to it, by which time I could figure it out myself if I'd somehow forgotten. If there's some track use (I remember you said you'd started going occasionally), I'd look at another. The MOTY version looks very nice, but I think you might not be able to because of shipping costs...

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=293242
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #9
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
It's possible mine's not set up right, but I don't think so because it always reads the right gear in the end, just takes a second to get to it, by which time I could figure it out myself if I'd somehow forgotten. If there's some track use (I remember you said you'd started going occasionally), I'd look at another. The MOTY version looks very nice, but I think you might not be able to because of shipping costs...

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=293242
Thanks, but I wish. I have just started riding harder on the street as there is no track in Kuwait. But someday God willing I will hit the track on my CBR and would still love to have a quick and reliable gear indicator. MOTY's looks awesome but yeah it just isn't practical. I'm keeping my eyes on the Geartronics and Gipros. Don't know any others.

Co-President of Team46

Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
tary preisser
Moto GP Racer

you use/need it least on track.
tary preisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
cbrkp
Domo

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:

The other ones out there function the same....when you hold the clutch in the gear indicator is not getting a speed signal so it doesnt know what gear its in when you engage the gear and clutch out it will correctly read the gear. Thats how aftermarket gear indicators operate. Clutch in no reading/different gear... clutch out gear should be indicated.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #12
Ry6rr
BOTY 2013 Winner & BOTM Winner 4/13

Healtech GIPRO DS Gear Indicator

I researched quite a few gear indicators when I was looking to buy one. I ended up going with the GIPRO simply because its plug and play and works very well.
Ry6rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Maaku
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkp View Post
The other ones out there function the same....when you hold the clutch in the gear indicator is not getting a speed signal so it doesnt know what gear its in when you engage the gear and clutch out it will correctly read the gear. Thats how aftermarket gear indicators operate. Clutch in no reading/different gear... clutch out gear should be indicated.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
Ry6rr
BOTY 2013 Winner & BOTM Winner 4/13

Gear Indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
you use/need it least on track.
I'm the exact opposite. I find a gear indicator on the track particularly useful especially when its a new circuit I have not ridden before or one I've not been too for a long time. Whether you need one on track is subjective as some prefer to use one and others do not.
Ry6rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry6rr View Post
I'm the exact opposite. I find a gear indicator on the track particularly useful especially when its a new circuit I have not ridden before or one I've not been too for a long time. Whether you need one on track is subjective as some prefer to use one and others do not.
Completely agree. I use it on the street and it is very useful, I can imagine it will be extremely useful on the track as well.

Co-President of Team46

Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
harry-nyc
AMA Supersport Racer

Radrage, did you ever get a G.I.? I have installation instructions on this thread, post #16

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=212496
harry-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #17
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-nyc View Post
Radrage, did you ever get a G.I.? I have installation instructions on this thread, post #16

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=212496
Yup Harry, I got the GIPro DS, it's working great so far. Thanks for the thought man.

Details in this post:

http://www.600rr.net/forums/showpost...7&postcount=83

Co-President of Team46

Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #18
Cbaxter26
Training Wheel Hero

I have a 2007 gsxr 600 which comes with the gear indicator stock and i agree that it is a nice feature but i would rather have the gas gauge any day of the week and i know that having built bikes for a long time that you can always just watch the odometer but its deff a luxury i am still loving every time i ride the CBR
Cbaxter26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
MikeyP
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Agree it's a waste on the street.
It's not like you're headed into a turn at 100mph and forget if you are in 2nd or 3rd before you downshift....or maybe you do.

I could use on on the track, because I do occasionally end up in Neutral or first accidentally because I have confused 2nd and 3rd.
2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
harry-nyc
AMA Supersport Racer

I agree. Definitely useful for the track, but not necessary for the street. I would have mounted mine differently only because now my GPX Pro lap timer on the fork tube blocks it. I may move that in front of the gauges, but I need to make a mount for it.
harry-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #21
JC120
Training Wheel Hero

I just installed mine and now the pgm-fi blinks goes away, stays on, etc.
JC120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #22
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC120 View Post
I just installed mine and now the pgm-fi blinks goes away, stays on, etc.
Which one, and is it plug and play or did you have to splice?

Co-President of Team46

Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
JC120
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Which one, and is it plug and play or did you have to splice?
It's the plug and play one. I had to trim down part of the fairing stay to get it to fit.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #24
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
It's the plug and play one. I had to trim down part of the fairing stay to get it to fit.
Did you loosen any other connection by mistake? To install mine all I had to do was remove the cover off the Diagnostic port and plug the GI in it. I didn't touch anything else.

Co-President of Team46

Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #25
JC120
Training Wheel Hero

I don't think so. Mine's spliced in between the dash. Is that the wrong place? Where's the diagnostic port? Other than the EFI light being on, it is working.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #26
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
I don't think so. Mine's spliced in between the dash. Is that the wrong place? Where's the diagnostic port? Other than the EFI light being on, it is working.
If yours is plug and play, then there shouldn't be any splicing at all. The ECU port is next to the battery, it is usually covered in black electric tape, when you remove the tape you will see the port which will have a cap on it. You will have to remove this cap and plug the GI into it. I'll see if I can dig up any pics I have of it to help you out.

Co-President of Team46

Last edited by Rad Rage; 09-24-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #27
JC120
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
If yours is plug and play, then there shouldn't be any splicing at all. The ECU port is next to the battery, it is usually covered in blacl electric tape, when you remove the tape you will see the port which will have a cap on it. You will have to remove this cap and plug the GI into it. I'll see if I can dig up any pics I have of it to help you out.
thanks!

So I gotta program this by putting it on a rear stand, engaging the gear and reving each gear to 10,000 rpm? That sounds scary especially when you get to 6th gear. That wheel's going to spinning really fast on that stand. I tried doing it out on a remote strait road but ran out of road and it didn't work so great.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #28
Rad Rage
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
thanks!

So I gotta program this by putting it on a rear stand, engaging the gear and reving each gear to 10,000 rpm? That sounds scary especially when you get to 6th gear. That wheel's going to spinning really fast on that stand. I tried doing it out on a remote strait road but ran out of road and it didn't work so great.
I actually didn't go anywhere near 10,000RPM when I programmed mine. I would rev the bike very slowly and gradually at around 5000RPM until it signalled me to shift into the next gear and so on. I didn't go anywhere near 8,000RPM even. Just roll the throttle on slowly and gradually and you should be fine. Did you manage to locate the ECU port, I can't find any pics so far, sorry.

Co-President of Team46

Old 09-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #29
rinonz
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
I actually didn't go anywhere near 10,000RPM when I programmed mine. I would rev the bike very slowly and gradually at around 5000RPM until it signalled me to shift into the next gear and so on. I didn't go anywhere near 8,000RPM even. Just roll the throttle on slowly and gradually and you should be fine. Did you manage to locate the ECU port, I can't find any pics so far, sorry.
You don't have to go to 10k rpm not even 5k rpm.

Just keep it above idle (around 2k-2.5k rpm) and it will be ok.

2012 CBR600RR Build Thread http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=392145
rinonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement