Lost my only key... : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
reide181
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost my only key...

I know I know. I should have made another copy when I bought the bike second hand. I pulled the ignition off the bike and found a 6 character code where the back of the ignition rests on the frame of the bike. I'm assuming this is so its out of site while installed on the bike. Is this the code that a lock smith can cut a key from? It is a mixture of numbers and letters.

I'm located in Pittsburgh and already called a few places. Everyone says they can't cut from the code. I haven't called the dealership yet, they open tomorrow morning. My next move is to take my title, ID and ignition to the dealer but until then I wanted to make sure I'm looking at the right code. Incase I can find a locksmith to cut a key today.

Bike is a 2003 RR

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Supposedly all lock smith can cut from the code. Unless they're useless locksmith .

Since you have your ignition off already, they can make a key from that.

Also last I checked they can make the key to open the gas tank. But some reason it won't be able to start the bike, that's why you'll need to give them the ignition

Good luck

My Ride Report :

-Alaska,The Last Frontier

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash a-ron View Post

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
highonlakai
Pocketbike Racer

talk to a dealership and go from there I'm sure you aren't the first one to do this.

highonlakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Notbrucelee
Knee Dragger

Same thing happened to my 2011 600rr, i called my dealership where i purchased the bike an they gave me the code but locksmith couldnt cut it, long story short he was able to produce a key for me but the trick was he had to read the codes backwards.
So in oreder to cut the key the locksmitj needs to read the number and letters from right to left. Hope that helps.
Notbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
reide181
Knee Dragger

Ok thanks guys! I'll post tomorrow with what happens. Good to know the code could be written backwards!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Notbrucelee
Knee Dragger

I know how it feels to lose the key man, even on a brand new bike! Hahaha
Good luck.
Notbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
schissler
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
id just disconnect the ignition and bypass it if its already off.
schissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
IceT
Banned

Rule # 1 Always carry a back-up key with you.
IceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceT View Post
Rule # 1 Always carry a back-up key with you.
Don't always have to carry. But if your on a long trip, then yes, but more importantly, have a spare!!

Btw .. Might as well ordered one from Disco the 1000rr keys.
I have two keys. Thinkin I'll get another :)

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

"To travel by motorcycle there are 3 things- youth, time, and money. You only get 2. Pick wisely."
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #10
coal miner frank
Training Wheel Hero

I bought a wrecked 06 that I'm rebuilding for the track. Came with one key and a little rectangle tag with code numbers on it. I took both to the dealership and they said they could not make me another key. Whattafack! They offered to sell me the blanks that I could take to a locksmith. No thanks. Maybe they dont know the code is backwards.
coal miner frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Useless delearship

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
jinsungmin
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by coal miner frank View Post
I bought a wrecked 06 that I'm rebuilding for the track. Came with one key and a little rectangle tag with code numbers on it. I took both to the dealership and they said they could not make me another key. Whattafack! They offered to sell me the blanks that I could take to a locksmith. No thanks. Maybe they dont know the code is backwards.

the dealership you went to has an idiot working there... because with that rectangle tag that has the code on it.. they can get you a new key but ofcourse it will cost you like $25+ it depends ... I called a few places and the cheapest was $25.. thats bull$hit just buy a blank on ebay and goto any locksmith they will cut it for you for $1. I ordered 2 blanks on ebay for like $5 and cut both for $2 at my local locksmith.. keys work like a charm.. but that key tags is good if you lost your only key and got nothing... well thats how you will get your replacement key from the dealer for a inflated price ofcourse.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
SpdFrk
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Most of the dealers here don't even cut keys. When I bought my previous bike, it only come with one key so I got two additional just in case. I call a few dealers and none would do the cutting. They just order the keys and tell me to bring it to Home Depot or Lowes to get it cut. Turns out neither of the home improvement store wanted to be bother with an "outside" blank fearing that it may damage their equipment or something. Even Ace Hardware didn't want to do it. I had to bring it to an old fashion locksmith to get it cut. But that was off of an existing key. Don't know about getting one from a code. I'm assuming the locksmith have to be familiar with automotive/cycle key codes if you don't already have a key.

OEM: Solo Seat Cowl ; CBR1000RR Rear Turn Signal Lenses
Akrapovic: Slip-On
Bazzaz: Z-Bomb
Cox Racing Group:
Radiator Guard
DDM Tuning: HID
Lawst Caws: Frame Plugs
Stompgrip: Frame Traction Pads
StreetSkinns: Custom Seat
TechSpec: Snake Skin Tank Grips ; Tank Pro
Tripage: Smoked REG IT ; 40-LED Pegs ; Knight Rider Third Light ; Brake Flasher ; LED Flasher Relay
Watsen Design: Micro Alloy LED Signals

Future Mods: Tripage LED Mirrors & Ultimate KR
SpdFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
josephsanchez
Training Wheel Hero

Same thing happened to me, Call Cochrans, they hooked me up fat.
josephsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
reide181
Knee Dragger

Ok got a new key! I started at the dealer, they took a look at the code and told me that the only important characters were the last 3. (Alpha, numeric, numeric). They then looked that code up in their book-o-codes and got the cut specs. My dealer (Steel City Harley Davidson/Honda) had a hand held device that they dialed in the code and proceeded to punch out the key. Well it wasn't very accurate and after about 20 min of grinding and recutting we got the key to work only one direction. Better than nothing so I bought it for $5.

After that I went to a locksmith my family has used for a long time, Chipps Locksmith in Washington. He took a look at the code and I told him to only worry about the last 3 characters. After he realized that, it made sense to him. He looked up the key specs in the computer and proceeded to cut on his machine. Within a minute I had a perfect new key that worked better than my stock on ever had!

I just ordered 2 OEM red 1000RR key blanks to use. Hopefully now I've learned my lesson and will always have spares! :)

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
Nuttynu
BOTM Winner 1/13

Great job. !!!

My Ride Report :

-
Quote:

Old 01-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #17
coal miner frank
Training Wheel Hero

The dealership I went to even looked up the code in their book-o-codes and still couldnt cut it. Facking Jerkoffs. But they did cut me a key for my 94 F2 using the original. I ordered the blanks of E bay for the 06, took the original and a blank to Ace Hardware and they cut it for 50 cents. It didnt work, but I cleaned it up and made the cut a little more define, now it works.
coal miner frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement