Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

dmc41's very long build thread

25K views 228 replies 37 participants last post by  dmc41 
#1 ·
This build thread won't be like a lot of the others on here... It will be long periods between mods, but I'll try to post a lot about my riding experiences in here.

STORY TIME!!!

So back in 2010 my roommate (and best friend for the last 11yrs) asked me to go to Cincinnati to look at a bike with him. It was a 2007 CBR600rr with 3,000 miles. It had a 520 chain conversion, -1/+2, a speedo healer, and steel break lines. He told the guy he wanted it, and the next weekend (during a level 3 snow storm) we went and got it.

On our way back

Over the next two year, he added about 7,000 miles to it with a few mods. He got a rear pitbull stand, a ebay front stand, tech spec tank grips, double bubble windscreen, some different grips and watsen flush mounts. Due to having to move to Chicago for work, he sold the bike to his gf's dad.

After only putting about 300 miles on it, he parked it and decided to sale the following spring.

So this past April I was able to buy the bike that my best friend owned! :banger:
After getting it home and unloaded.. (dead battery)

Went and picked up a battery and got her running, but still no insurance for a few days.. so I washed her up.

The rear tag bracket had broken off during his ride back from the dragon, so I ordered a FE from CBRHeaven

After that, I removed the sticker from the windscreen and rode the sheeeit out of her! :cruising:

See less See more
#2 ·
I didn't like the subframe, and the gas cap being silver...and I didn't like the stock exhaust color...

Before

Damn that's a lot of work!

After

And back together!

#154 ·
I didn't like the subframe, and the gas cap being silver...and I didn't like the stock exhaust color...

Before

Damn that's a lot of work!

After

And back together!
Hey! Just seen your build thread and the bike looks amazing! Keep it up!
I'm thinking of changing the colour of my subframe too and wondering what kind of paint you used? Did you powdercoat it or what? :p

#3 ·
I went ahead and picked up some Engine Ice, and did a radiator flush. Runs 10 degrees cooler now!! :banger:

The first one is the first two flushed, the second is the third, and the third is the fourth and fifth flushes.

These came in the mail and few days later!

Lookin good!

#4 ·
Noticed the Sprocket and chain needed a cleaning...

and after

After a bunch of riding, I was getting a lot of numbness in my right hand. The grips that were on the bike were not stock, and extremely thick...

This came in the mail...

And with them on

haha and of course I noticed a speck and gave her another bath

#5 ·
Of course I'm a idiot, didn't look up how to put the grips on and just winged it.. Tried using soap and water, and ended up tearing the right grip...

Ordered replacements from Motomummy, and literally had them in three days!! Awesome service. I guess I was a little disappointed with STG, since it took over two weeks to get my grips, and they are located in Michigan... But I still got my product and will continue to order from them.

#6 ·
Was riding home when I noticed my left flush wasn't working...

Thank god it was only this!!

Working Great!

#7 ·
A Icon airframe Helmet came with the bike, and I really liked the helmet...but it was only a size L, and it was really tight on my forehead and ears.

So, thanks to the help from Moeman and Supper Bike Supply I was able to get this

#8 ·
After a quick ride to during the day, at 80 degrees....I couldn't imagine riding at night if it was this bad...

Cleaned it back up

and of course, gave everything a bath...haha

#9 ·
Got some things in the mail!

Mostly just some bolts to replace the one's that were missing, or out of place...

But I got this for some much needed horsepower!

Ordered a RAM mount to hold my phone/GPS.

And of course I lose another bolt....

#11 ·
#12 · (Edited)
#16 ·
So far pretty well, but I haven't used it a lot. It has held up to some pretty high speeds. I'm actually going to order a piece the goes into the triple tree. It says on the RAM site that it only fits 2006 CBR's, but for 13 bucks I'm going to give it a try.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
Das neat :D

#15 ·
Niceeeee, keep up the good work and story telling :thumbup:

#17 ·
Went riding the other day up to old man's cave with 3 other riders. Two harley's and a cam-am. I was the only one wearing any gear, except the cam-am rider had on a quarter helmet... Anyways, I got bored of riding behind them, so I opened up on a straight and met them at the next gas station.. One of the harley riders asked me if I have every saw a dead biker body, cause that's what I'm going to be. I just gave him the troll face...asshat was wearing shorts and no helmet.

#20 · (Edited)
No new updates for me. Just saving up for a slip-on and IT. Getting ready to ride on this hot day!

Did get this in the mail yesterday!

#21 ·
Bike's coming along well. It's hard to save for quality parts but in the end it is better than cheaping out and getting no-name parts. Save up for a quality slip-on and IT, you'll be pleased you did! Have to stress the customer service I've gotten from Bart at TST with my recent purchases, hands down no issues, even personal phone calls to help me during installation.

#22 ·
I've decided to go with TST.

I really like the looks of the undertail, and I'm in love with the TOCE..

#23 · (Edited)
Triple ball mount finally came in. Easy install, but I recommend watching the YouTube video first.

#24 ·
Caudill41 nice updates to the bike so far! I noticed you're in south east Ohio, I am too for a while. I've been hitting up the bike night in Triadelphia (Cabella's) on Wednesdays (when it doesn't rain). And some people have been nice enough to show me some fun local roads. Hit me up if you want to go riding some time. I work in Wintersville (Steubenville area) and sleep in Yorkville. (From Mississippi only here temporarily for work).

#25 ·
You are about three hours NE of me... I'm in the Hocking Hills area.

#27 ·
I have every weekend off. You come this way, and I'll show you old mans cave and ash caves. Great rides.

#28 ·
Hmmm see some of my photos are working....

Got some things coming in the mail this week! Hopefully have the bike up and running before these 90 degree days are over!

#30 ·
Ordered from STG last Friday at 5... No email for shipping details, only got a email saying that it was processed.

Ordered from Motomumy last Saturday at 4... Received the product yesterday.

Lesson learned.

#31 ·
Basically I'm an idiot and ran my bike with a grinded down sproket.

Thanks to the help of a buddy and the .net gurus, it was determined that I needed a new one.

So I ordered a new Driven Red 520 chain and two new sprokets from STG.
I also ordered some sproket nuts from mottomummy!

Here is the previous chain and sproket

I went ahead and stripped the bike while I waited for the parts to come.

Parts came!!!

And they sent me the wrong color chain.. They sent me a Black one instead of the red one I had ordered. Wasn't happy, but I didn't want to wait another week for them to ship me another one. (Since it took over a week for me to get these parts.) STG gave me five dollars in store credit for the mishap. :ponder:

Almost there!

and finished! sorry for the fingers.. :crackup::drunk:

and back at it!

A little comparison to how bad my sproket was

#32 ·
Haven't got much going on with the bike. Waiting on some stickers form Highzer, and hopefully ordering a new air filter soon. :banger:

Almost put 4,000 miles on it for the summer... wish I could have ridden it more, but stupid rain makes it hard to ride to work!

Hopefully it's another warm winter in Ohio.

#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.