FI light blinking : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
DolphinGirl
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FI light blinking

My motor has been out of my bike for a bit having some work done on the motor. Now, when the motor was re-installed, the FI light is blinking pretty steady. I am looking for suggestions on where to look 1st. I have not seen the bike, I just was told it is blinking. I do believe the fuel has been sitting in the tank for quite some time. Could this be it? Someone please suggest something other then take it to a honda mechanic. Thanks

MSF RiderCoach

04 CBR1000RR - Street
04 CBR600RR - Track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
DolphinGirl
Training Wheel Hero

I forgot to add that it has a bad hesitation at low RPMs....

MSF RiderCoach

04 CBR1000RR - Street
04 CBR600RR - Track
Old 02-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Moeman
**Miss O'Seven BOTY 2011**----- Triumph for Tarek

Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,529 Posts
Feedback Score: 144 reviews
The FI light blinking means a system mulfunction the number of blinks
and look it up it the manual will explain accordingly where is the problem
it might be the injectors, spark plugs , 02 sensor or or or so getting the # of blinks and posting it any one of us would be gald to look it up for you and respond back if you do not have a manual good luck

Honrary Chairman
Old 02-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
NewRedRider
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First tell us what was done to the bike. It could be something as simple as they forgot to hook up the MAP sensor vacuum tube.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
NYCjErMz
BOTM May 2007 , Big Apple PimP

yea we need to know what was done. any changes to compression ratios or even cams can alter the fuel ratio. but Im pretty sure it has something to do with the harness, weather it be cut or maybe just plugged in the wrong place. are you sure you plugged the primary and secondary injections in the right place?
2007 Piaggio BV500
2010 Street Triple R
Office Monkey # 1 (Retired)
Old 02-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
DolphinGirl
Training Wheel Hero

I told him to count the blinks and it is the throttle position sensor. He had to motor out of the bike (spun a rod bearing) and was reinstalling the motor. It never blinked before (put the motor after the initial work was done and started it up...no blinks) Last I talked to him he was going to retry hooking everything up...maybe the contact was bad or not plugged in right. Thanks guys...sorry it took me so long to respond.

MSF RiderCoach

04 CBR1000RR - Street
04 CBR600RR - Track
Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
NewRedRider
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinGirl
I told him to count the blinks and it is the throttle position sensor. He had to motor out of the bike (spun a rod bearing) and was reinstalling the motor. It never blinked before (put the motor after the initial work was done and started it up...no blinks) Last I talked to him he was going to retry hooking everything up...maybe the contact was bad or not plugged in right. Thanks guys...sorry it took me so long to respond.
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE. The throttle bodies are very easy to screw up if you or someone esle takes the wrong bolt/screw loose or snaps the throttle open when they're off. Once the TPS is out of sync there is no way to resync them that I know of. You can't replace the TPS either because it's sync'd at the factory w/ the TB's. You have to buy a whole new TB assembly for big $$$.

I'm not sure who's doing the work but you might want to have someone with your interest in mind look over what has been done.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
DolphinGirl
Training Wheel Hero

The bike is back together. There was a sensor that was not plugged in. I picked up the bike and headed for Jennings. It ran good and strong. :) :) :) :) :) I am happy to have it home and my 1000rr off the track! Yay.

MSF RiderCoach

04 CBR1000RR - Street
04 CBR600RR - Track
Old 02-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
NewRedRider
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinGirl
The bike is back together. There was a sensor that was not plugged in. I picked up the bike and headed for Jennings. It ran good and strong. :) :) :) :) :) I am happy to have it home and my 1000rr off the track! Yay.
Very cool! which one was it that was forgotten? The MAP Sensor? Small black mounted on the right side of the TB's?

Old 02-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
beung
Pocketbike Racer

Prolly the blue one right by the frame on the left hand side, I believe that is the throttle position. The same one you have to hook up for the PCIII. I hated trying to connect that plug, it probably took me almost 30 min to contort my hand to plug it in.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
DolphinGirl
Training Wheel Hero

beung...I think you are correct. I dont know since I wasnt the one who did it. But the bike is good...trying to plan my next track day already :)

MSF RiderCoach

04 CBR1000RR - Street
04 CBR600RR - Track
Old 03-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
fordkrazy
Training Wheel Hero

why couldnt you "resink" the sensor. i know on cars the base reading at idol once the throttle set screw is set to the proper # of turns is a certian voltage depending on make/model. for instance my explorer is 1.42v-1.45v anything out of that voltage will trip a code. so wouldnt the bike be the same way cause i doubt honda assigns a different voltage to every single bike.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
NewRedRider
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkrazy
why couldnt you "resink" the sensor. i know on cars the base reading at idol once the throttle set screw is set to the proper # of turns is a certian voltage depending on make/model. for instance my explorer is 1.42v-1.45v anything out of that voltage will trip a code. so wouldnt the bike be the same way cause i doubt honda assigns a different voltage to every single bike.
The TPS is sync'd at the factory. Only they can resync it. We have to buy a whole new set of TB's if the TPS ever goes out.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #14
fordkrazy
Training Wheel Hero

the only thing that sync's a tps is a certian voltage at a certian throttle.....my point being is that if you look at the sensor the screw holes are in a way that you can rotate the sensor if you loosen it....to "resync" it all you need to know is the base voltage the computer will look for and back probe the sensor with a volt meter turn on the ignition and loosten the screws and turn the sensor untill you get the proper voltage...all a tps sensor is like a dimmer on a light the more you twist the throttle the more voltage goes to the computer and thats what it reads to know the throttle position.....like i said it should be just like a car unless honda is insane and gives a different base voltage for every single bike made....even then if you dont switch the computer out to the new voltage value or order it to your specific computer it will still throw a code....there is a reason why you can loosen the screws and turn the sensor.

if you really do have to buy an entire throttle body unit if the sensor goes bad i would love to know the reasoning behind it because its not difficult to set a tps.

Last edited by fordkrazy; 03-03-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #15
99SH
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^ +1

The TPS voltage could be adjusted by just rotating the unit until you get the correct voltage readout. It's probably 1.5V. I use to do this all the time when swapping out motors in my friends cars(honda). I always needed to adjust the TPS sensor to read the correct voltage at close throttle, which was ~1.5V
Old 03-05-2006, 11:54 AM   #16
NewRedRider
Moto GP Racer

Well, IF it's that simple why doesn't the SM tell you that. It repeatedly warns you about loosening any white painted screws or snapping the TB's open when the TB's are off and various other things. I'm not saying that you're wrong, in fact I hope you're right, but maybe there's more to it than just syncing the TPS to the correct voltage output (4.2-4.8v) in order to have the TB's resync'd.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
xHOTMICx
Pocketbike Racer

NewRedRider, had a question. The Honda mechanics told me that my bike is messed up because the TPS is bad (the black piece on the side of the TB's). you said that it would cost a lot of $$ to get another set of TB's. you know where i can get a brand new one for cheap? tried a used one off ebay, but that was fucked up too i guess.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #18
ocxggx6rr
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkrazy View Post
the only thing that sync's a tps is a certian voltage at a certian throttle.....my point being is that if you look at the sensor the screw holes are in a way that you can rotate the sensor if you loosen it....to "resync" it all you need to know is the base voltage the computer will look for and back probe the sensor with a volt meter turn on the ignition and loosten the screws and turn the sensor untill you get the proper voltage...all a tps sensor is like a dimmer on a light the more you twist the throttle the more voltage goes to the computer and thats what it reads to know the throttle position.....like i said it should be just like a car unless honda is insane and gives a different base voltage for every single bike made....even then if you dont switch the computer out to the new voltage value or order it to your specific computer it will still throw a code....there is a reason why you can loosen the screws and turn the sensor.

if you really do have to buy an entire throttle body unit if the sensor goes bad i would love to know the reasoning behind it because its not difficult to set a tps.
good info here !

recently i had to purchased a used TB on ebay due to mine being bad ( no Ohms ) .
how could you loosen tps bolts ? i have 06 and looks like tps bolts are one of those bolts where it snaps off after you tighten . i mean , its too late now cuz i R&R , and matter of fact i started her today , and no more codes ( happy camper ) . but i still want to know how to adjust those round headed bolts .
Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #19
ocxggx6rr
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHOTMICx View Post
NewRedRider, had a question. The Honda mechanics told me that my bike is messed up because the TPS is bad (the black piece on the side of the TB's). you said that it would cost a lot of $$ to get another set of TB's. you know where i can get a brand new one for cheap? tried a used one off ebay, but that was fucked up too i guess.
this is what i did . i was in ur shoe too . for get paying 800+ for new , unless u got da money .

there's at least 4-6 sellers out there .. most of time .. anywhere from 50-200 on used . buy it from seller only if he/she is willing to give you a refund if sensor is bad . tell him/her that you are going to check the sensor if its good or bad way before you install em .
Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #20
SchaadeS
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a question about the FI light... what does it mean if the bike turns the fi light comes on... it doesnt blink has one quick blink then the FI light dissappears. Does the FI light stay on if there's a problem? sorry for the thread jack but i've been wondering this for a while.

D3 Grips, O'Grady Paint, Powder coated everything, Custom LED switching, Tripage Third Eye, Custom LED Gauge Cluster, 6000K HID's, Integrated Mirrors with Signals, Integrated Signal/Brake light, Driven Sprocket Kit -1/+2, EK Chain 520 Pitch, PC3, Quickshift kit, Multi mapping touch screen, Block Off Plates, BCM Air Filter, DIY Short stack Air Mod, Speedohealer, Galfer Stainless Steel Brake lines, 450R mod, Yoshi pipe, Arrow Headers.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #21
Demented
Banned

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Seriously...3 years and back from the dead?

Schaades, does the FI light come on at start up or does it flash every so often? If it flashes every so often, you have an open circuit on the MAP sensor.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #22
SchaadeS
AMA Supersport Racer

It comes on when it starts up... has a super long light a quick blink then the FI thing is gone... thanks for the any help demented.

D3 Grips, O'Grady Paint, Powder coated everything, Custom LED switching, Tripage Third Eye, Custom LED Gauge Cluster, 6000K HID's, Integrated Mirrors with Signals, Integrated Signal/Brake light, Driven Sprocket Kit -1/+2, EK Chain 520 Pitch, PC3, Quickshift kit, Multi mapping touch screen, Block Off Plates, BCM Air Filter, DIY Short stack Air Mod, Speedohealer, Galfer Stainless Steel Brake lines, 450R mod, Yoshi pipe, Arrow Headers.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #23
Demented
Banned

Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchaadeS View Post
It comes on when it starts up... has a super long light a quick blink then the FI thing is gone... thanks for the any help demented.
That'd be a vehicle speed sensor issue. At start up the light should only be on until you start the engine.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #24
SchaadeS
AMA Supersport Racer

So how might go about fixing this? and how much money we talking?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #25
SchaadeS
AMA Supersport Racer

Never mind, i looked at the manual... should be an easy fix. Thanks Demented

Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #26
gizaha
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
The TPS is sync'd at the factory. Only they can resync it. We have to buy a whole new set of TB's if the TPS ever goes out.
No, you CAN find the original TPS position again if you have power commander.
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=142241
Old 11-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #27
Nico
Administrator

Thanked 1,246 Times in 893 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Why bump a nearly 3 year old thread to reply?

04 600RR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread