Uncuttable lock/chain? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Welcome to 600RR.net > General Discussion

General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Old 07-12-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
raoke
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Uncuttable lock/chain?

At my school there is a pole horizontally cemented to the ground to lock up bikes. I saw a lot of kriptonite chains and locks there, but my friends say those can be cut.

Is this true, and if so are there any uncuttable ones out there?

I might have to Pee-Wee Herman chain my bike up.
raoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
tripage
LED Surgeon General

Feedback Score: 87 reviews
Anything can be cut... It's just a matter of how long it will take.. The thicker the better... Get one with a waterproof lock and just leave it locked to the pole... T
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...tegory&path=36
IT taillight install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9O_P34yOd-c
Become a fan of Tripage Get Discount codes and specials
http://www.facebook.com/TripageLED

TripageLED.com
Sales@TripageLED.com
tripage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
NewRedRider
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Locks are for honest people. If they want in bad enough they'll find a way. Out of sight, out of mind.

NewRedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Knightslugger

the thicker and STONGER the better. I've seen chains that break HUGE bolt cutter blades and barely show damage. the only alternative would be to torch it but most bike jackers are pretty low tech (bolt cutters). Very few will haul a O/A torch to the site to take it. that would look a little suspect walking around, even at night.

if you can't cut it, melt it.

But i agree with RedRider; out of sight, out of mind. they can't still what they can't find. if it's possible. otherwise beef up your protection with an alarm and chain. it may bring your insurance premium down as well. the best protection against theft however, IS theft insurance.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
jener8tionx
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chains are only a deterrent. I had a buddy get an uncuttable chain...I told him I could cut it in 30 seconds or I'd buy him a new one. 25 seconds with the battery powered grinder, and he was buying a new lock. It was harder than normal, but not unstoppable. The best protection I have seen is from www.bikebrace.com. I made my own that you can see in my sig link. That would take a solid 5 min with a cutter...if I didn't want to hurt the bike.

Dual Headlight Mod
jener8tionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
DethMetal Jeff
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jener8tionx
Chains are only a deterrent. I had a buddy get an uncuttable chain...I told him I could cut it in 30 seconds or I'd buy him a new one. 25 seconds with the battery powered grinder, and he was buying a new lock. It was harder than normal, but not unstoppable. The best protection I have seen is from www.bikebrace.com. I made my own that you can see in my sig link. That would take a solid 5 min with a cutter...if I didn't want to hurt the bike.
Yea, I was gonna say...battery powered angle grinder will get through pretty much anything.

Dissatisfaction is the basis of progress. When we become satisfied we become obsolete.
DethMetal Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
raoke
AMA Supersport Racer

Who brings power tools to school though?

I did ask the school police if there were any bikes stolen last semester, and of course they said yes. Once instance had a uhaul truck involved.

I guess I will write a petition to try to get bike parking in the middle of campus where its always packed and no one can drive a car onto.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #8
RyGuy
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jener8tionx
Wow, jener8tionx- that's cool that you made one yourself. What about those of us who don't want to be cruicified by our HOAs and have a big metal thing bolted to the ground? I live at an apartment and have no garage, just park in the lot and pray some crafty SOB with bolt cutters doesn't come take my bike (or just load it up into a truck as it's not fastened to anything). What theft deturrant would you suggest? Besides the obvious theft insurance of course.
RyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
toofast
Knee Dragger

out of sight out of mind is the best policy you could get one of those hidden trackers in case it does getr stolen you may be able to find it but you never know it really depends if the person stealing it wants it more then you do !!!
toofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
RyGuy
Pocketbike Racer

That's the thing I hate about this world these days, no one respects the fact that people pay to get things in this world, they don't see that you have to pay for s*** in order to function, that's how things work. They see a bike just sitting there, no chains, no alarm, nothing and think "they didn't lock it, they don't deserve it". It's total BS. I swear if I catch someone trying to steal my bike that I worked hard to afford I won't hesitate to give them a nice lead salad from my Glock! They have no right to take what isn't theirs. I wish I could advertise something like "The owner of this bike owns a Glock 22 .40 cal pistol and is capable of expending a minimum of 50 rounds at any given time, stealing this bike is hazardous to your continued existance!"
RyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:11 AM   #11
roguegeek
Pocketbike Racer

Anything can be cut with the proper tools and enough time given. Chains and locks are what was stated above. It keeps the honest people honest. If you're serious about bike security, look into a Bike Brace.
- Project: Rich
roguegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #12
raoke
AMA Supersport Racer

Thjs is for school though
Old 07-13-2006, 05:53 AM   #13
tripage
LED Surgeon General

Feedback Score: 87 reviews
Go with a beefy chain lock her up.. Hopefully security will notice someone cutting a chain with a cut off wheel...
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...tegory&path=36
IT taillight install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9O_P34yOd-c
Become a fan of Tripage Get Discount codes and specials
http://www.facebook.com/TripageLED

TripageLED.com
Sales@TripageLED.com
tripage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #14
roguegeek
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoke
Chain through the frame, disk lock, bike cover, and maybe a Scorpio paging alarm. They're really all just deterrents. When it comes down to it, if someone wants it, they're gonna take it.
- Project: Rich
roguegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
DethMetal Jeff
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoke
Yea, but your school is in a city/town and there's pretty much nothing stopping people from walking on campus to steal your bike. Unless you guys have a moat and a drawbridge...which btw would be so awesome!

Dissatisfaction is the basis of progress. When we become satisfied we become obsolete.
DethMetal Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
kd_rome
Pocketbike Racer

man, the point is to make thieves life harder, so get a huge chain and lock the bike to a pole, add a disklock as well.
They will be able to cut it, but it's gonna take a lot of time and the bike it's in a public spot, so everybody would see 'em.
If you have the bikein the garage you need to get a bike brace, a guy on the forum made one, try to find the post.
kd_rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #17
raoke
AMA Supersport Racer

im not worried about the bike when its at my house, just at school. but ill look into it more.
i already have a disc lock with bult in alarm
Old 07-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #18
rykid
AMA Supersport Racer

i wouldnt even bring my bike to a place and leave it where i cant see it you never know whats going on when your not there.. people touching it and all that stuff. im all set with that
rykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #19
b.mike23
Training Wheel Hero

theft insurance and common sense is the best thing you can do. a lock is just to prevent or delay an opportunistic stop and snatch type crackhead thief.

keep in mind the common thief psychology: they want to make some EASY money to sustain a certain lowlife lifestyle. If they drive by your bike and they see it sitting there nice and shiny with no lock, the thief will consider that its worth to take the risk for 30 seconds to drive up and pull it into the van. But if the bike is secured with some kind of lock, now the thief has to feel like its worth the risk to walk up with a lock cutter in his hand, cut the chain, and load it up. This might just be enough deterrent for the common thief, who most likely already has some jail under his belt, and really does not want to go back to jail.

so the bottom line is: always park in a well visible area with pedestrian traffic. Dont try to hide your bike in the back parking or behind the building or in the bushes because the thief is more likely to go for it there. Thieves are generally sneaky and anti social and so a simple lock will prevent most thefts.

Professional thieves are a different story. They will take it from your garage in the middle of the night...

Make sure you have theft insurance under your policy.

Just noticed that this is an old discussion thread. nonetheless this is a good topic...

Last edited by b.mike23; 05-09-2010 at 11:46 PM.
b.mike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #20
espy59lc
Pocketbike Racer

wow dude...this thread was 4 years old...Congrats!

Gear: Alpinestar Textile RC1, ICON Rockets Dead Glare helmet, A* A-10 pants, A* SP-2 Gloves, A* S-Mx2 Boots!!!

Mods: Puig DB Black, Arrow slip-on, Relocated license plate, Front/Rear flush mounts, PCIII, Speedo-Healer, Vortex -1/+2 Sprocket change, RK Chain, K&N Air Filter, Frame Sliders, HIDs, GPR Stabilizer.

espy59lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #21
CollapsedNut
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey I bet he used the search feature to find it tho lol

09 CBR600RR Black/Grey
02 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally
CollapsedNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #22
jasikes
Training Wheel Hero

Ha! I just did the same exact thing. I'm glad I read thru it tho because the post above about a moat and a drawbridge was great.
jasikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #23
noobinacan
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
get a XENA lock, it goes off if someone tries to tamper with chain and lock.
get the thickest XENA or krypt or on guard chain...you can't cut with bolt cutter, you can't saw through quickly.
only way is to torch it...and that means equipment and time...

usually not worth messing with unless you're riding the Mv Augusta limited edition all carbon bike :D
noobinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #24
adman360
Knee Dragger

get a thick chain or cable, disk lock, scorpio alarm and most importantly theft insurance and hope for the best. i had a bike stolen, had a 3/4 inch cable on it to a pole they cut it right off and took it at 11am on a busy street. so get insurance.

Shogun frame sliders
Shogun swing arm spools
DDM 35W 6000K lights
Proton flush signals
zero gravity DB dark smoke windscreen
tech spec snake skin grips
two brothers aluminum slip on
reflective white rim stripes
Tripage powder coated pegs with LEDs
Two bros fender eliminator
Scorpio SR-i500S Alarm
Shoei RF-1000 Caster/Red