Idle Adjustment not working : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Honda 600RR Prices
Go Back   600RR.net > Technical Talk > Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
RRRob
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Idle Adjustment not working

03, 600RR

The idle on my bike dropped below 1K rpms and when i went to adjust it out nothing happens. The Idle stop adjustment knob will spin one way and never seems to stop and if I spin it the other way it spins and eventually seems to tighten up and stop spinning.

Does anyone know whats on the other end of the adjustment knob. I assume it goes to the throttle body but Im not sure exactly how it hooks up. Also is the knob supossed to turn inside the tubing that goes up to the throttle body or is the whole tube supposed to turn.

If anyone has had this problem and knows the answer to the questions I would appreciate the assistance before I have to pull the tank and all that other junk just to find out whats goin on.

Thanks in advance.
RRRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
luckydevil

from looking at section 6 of the manual it looks like it is doubtful that the problem is at the throttle body where it connects. it actually refers to the piece you are talking about as the "throttle stop screw knob." i would first look at the part you can see where the knob is. seems like you may have turned it too far and loosened the screw there. the manual doesn't really go into detail about that piece though.

you can see a good pic of where it is connected to the throttle body on page 6-82. it is directly underneath the wax unit at the first picture on the page.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
RRRob
Training Wheel Hero

I looked at the manual as well, no clear details on the connections that are obvious to me.

As for turning it too far you may be right. However I wonder if the tube is supposed to turn when you twist the knob or is it supposed to turn inside the tub?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
luckydevil

i'm almost positive the tube does not turn, i think there is a cable inside of it that turns.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:40 PM   #5
RRRob
Training Wheel Hero

Can you verify that on your bike? Please :-)

Also, do you have a link to the manual site again, I got kinda torqued looking for it the other day and ended up loosing the link.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
luckydevil

manual: http://www.urbuggin.com/600rr/
give me a minute to check my bike.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
RRRob
Training Wheel Hero

Sweet Thanks dude
Old 01-04-2004, 06:58 PM   #8
luckydevil

i was wrong, the whole tube turns. hope that helps.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #9
RRRob
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks, I really appreciate your assistance. Guess Im going to have to pull all the stuff above it until I can see the throttle body. Have any suggestions?
Old 01-04-2004, 07:02 PM   #10
luckydevil

that sux. take it to the dealer and let them fix it. that is going to be a total pain in the ass.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:08 PM   #11
RRRob
Training Wheel Hero

Hehe, now your using common sense. Hell, I wanted to know how to fix it!! ;-)

That would be way to easy and not nearly frustrating enough for me!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 07:53 PM   #12
RRRob
Training Wheel Hero

Answer: Hose underneath gas tank floats. When the adjustment on the throttle body gets a little sticky the hose tends to bind up. Once I pulled the tank and associated junk, I was able to move the tank up to the seat and back up the hose as it turned. When the hosed started to kink up I was able to straighten the hose out and continue to adjust idle in that direction.

To me this is a cludgey design. If they had put a hose clamp somewhere along the lenght of the hose closer to the throttle body it could of held the cable in place so it could be adjusted if the adjustment bolt is a little stiff. Just my two cents.

Anyhow, thats what I had to do to adjust the idle. Pity to those who find themselves in the same situation. Its kind of a pig!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 08:57 PM   #13
RR|Suki
Pocketbike Racer

guy who turned his and f'ed it up and his bike wouldn't run :o , take it to the dealer if it's not doin what it's supposed to, or you could be next :).
Old 01-04-2004, 09:48 PM   #14
RRRob
Training Wheel Hero

You turned yours and F'ed up? What happened? Did you strip it out or something?

All told it only takes like 4 different tools and about an hour to take it appart and put it back together again?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
ronrolla
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not sure if I should revive this old thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one. I have just run into this issue. A buddy of mine suggested lowering the idle as it was a little high and after some tinkering it is now stuck on 1k rpm and not responding to any further adjustments to the idle screw. My Clymer manual for my '06 just got here so I feel I should be able to fix this myself. Is there any particular reason you guys suggest taking it to a shop rather than trying to fix it yourself other than it being a hassle? Is there anything I should be looking out for if I jump into this project of fixing my idle adjustment?
ronrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Nonfatwater7
Knee Dragger

The poster above fixed his problem...ask me how I know.
Nonfatwater7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #17
Untamed Entity
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrolla View Post
Not sure if I should revive this old thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one. I have just run into this issue. A buddy of mine suggested lowering the idle as it was a little high and after some tinkering it is now stuck on 1k rpm and not responding to any further adjustments to the idle screw. My Clymer manual for my '06 just got here so I feel I should be able to fix this myself. Is there any particular reason you guys suggest taking it to a shop rather than trying to fix it yourself other than it being a hassle? Is there anything I should be looking out for if I jump into this project of fixing my idle adjustment?
Simple fix dude. Pull your tank cover, pop your tank up and there's your wax nut with a sort of nipple....sorry for the bad description. You can move said nipple up or down to adjust the idle. Friend of mine had the same issue. It took all of 20 minutes. T handle Allen keys are great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

- Untamed Entity -
Untamed Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
armybimmer
Training Wheel Hero

I have a high idle issue as well, running about 3K rpm in gear. Hooked up the JBpro to the computer ans im showing about 2-4% throttle at idle. I tried messing with that idle adjustment cable as well, found it frozen as many on here seem to have. I just went ahead and ordered a new WAX assembly and cable, seems like just replacing all that should help and still be cheaper than taking it to a dealer... I dont have too much experience with bikes, but am I right in thinking this should solve my high idle issue? or is there more to it considering I am showing that kind of throttle reading at idle?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
youngy
AMA Supersport Racer

sounds like you don't have enough slack in your throttle cable.
youngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement