Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a project bike that I was told was an 03 but now that I'm in it it seems to be an 05/06. I put the thing together and went to start it with no luck. Here are the details:

Ebay ignition (description says 03-06)
BAS bypassed
Gauge cluster is connected and functioning
Cranks but doesn't start
No fuel pump prime
No fuel pump relay clicking
Kill switch is good
Front 3 relays have been switched around with no change

My guess is that the ignition is really for an 03 or 04. So my two questions are:

What wires can I test to see if the ignition is putting 9v or 12v out? (I am an electrical retard so speak slowly when talking multimeter :p )

If the ignition is for 03/04, do I need a new one or is there a radio shack fix here? If so, what needs to be done (diode?)?

My gut is that the problem is in the ignition but I will be putting power directly to the pump tomorrow as well to check if that works. I assume that without a relay click though, that is irrelevant, right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have headlights or blinkers. :)

But I am king of the multimeter!!!! Or at least a novice now. I found out that there were multiple reasons I wasn't getting power to the pump:

03/04 ecu instead of 05/06 (swapped before I posted this yesterday)
Found that the 20 fuse near the battery wasn't blown but corroded at the base and was non-functional
2 out of the 3 front relays are bad

Good news is with the one good relay in the right place I got a fuel pump prime and the ebay ignition was putting out the proper 12v. Even found 4 OEM relays for $30 shipped. :)

It would still be interesting to hear about how to make the 03/04 ignitions work on an 05/06 and vice versa. Any takers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts