Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to the forum had my CBR for a year and due to some idiocy from myself, I've fried the engine... Let's just say 800ml isn't enough oil.

So I'm on the hunt for a new block, obviously, I'd prefer a 05/06 block as it'll make it plug & play. But I understand that 03/04 will fit but it has the below differences. Can someone fact check this for me?

- Speed sensor will need taken off my 06 block and put on the 03?
- The EFI input to the rail will need modifying to reach the opposite end?
- From my understanding, the 05/06 has an extra oxygen sensor (so says wiki) does this matter?

Anything else worth highlighting?

If that's it then it's an easy job. If I go ahead with an 03/04 then I'll post a DIY step by step on it (promise).

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cylinder head on the '06 is superior. I would take the cams and the head from the '06 and put them on the new engine. That way it will be the same thing.
Thanks for that. After realising just how easy it is to drop the engines out (apart from the rear mount bolts as they've never been off or greased in 13 years) I'll be throwing the 04 in quick once everything is clean and stripping the 06 for spares :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for that. After realising just how easy it is to drop the engines out (apart from the rear mount bolts as they've never been off or greased in 13 years) I'll be throwing the 04 in quick once everything is clean and stripping the 06 for spares :)
Yeah, there's actually a Honda document outlining the differences between the first gen bikes and the second gen. Apparently they changed the cylinder head for more mid-range torque. My guess is the ECU was probably changed to also support the same. Either way, the '06 head, and probably the cams, are the preferred ones to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts