Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this crazy idea a few weeks ago and I wanted to know what makes the 03-04 exhaust different than the 05-06. The reason I wanted to figure this out was because I wanted a nice dual exhaust but it seemed like the only models they were made for was 03-04 and I have an 06 bike. So I got crazy and ordered a new 03-04 IXIL Dual Underseat slip-on and here is what I came up with.

The only difference I found was the length of the exhaust pipe where it connects to the cat is about 3 to 4 inches longer than the 05-06 pipe, and that instead of being a straight shot down, the pipe angled inward towards the motor, about 1.5 inches or more. So, I took the mid section to a little local hole-in-the-wall muffler shop and had them cut off the pipe where it bent inward and then cut the slip-on tip off and weld it back to the mid section. Looked great when they were done so I headed home to get to work. To my surprise, it was a nearly perfect fit. It mated up and followed the curve of the 05-06 exhaust almost exactly. Once I got it on, I found that the mufflers even had the same bolt patterns. It took me maybe 30 minutes to get installed. Piece of Cake. Here are the pics after install....

http://myspace-261.vo.llnwd.net/00753/16/21/753931261_l.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
looking god man.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a little more bulky than most, but it isn't near as heavy as it looks. It is considerably less weight that the stock pipe. Plus, this setup sounds awesome. It has a nice low rumble now.

·
The AC (Ambidextrous Club) Unite! #001
1,866 Posts
It looks nice! I was about to ask the same question when I spied this thread. I'm looking into getting a D&D for my 06' 600RR and was wondering if I could use an 03'-05'? Not only because of the price difference, but the 03'-05' are more readily available. Also, before I buy the pipe, should I install a PC III first?

·
Registered
909 Posts
To me it doesnt look that bad, it think ART looks a little better thats my opinion. I was woundering how much did you pay for it and where?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
are they supposed to be lop sided? Not raggin it, just asking, the rear shot one pipe is higher and on a different angle etc. Glad you're happy though and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't know why they ended up a little lop sided, but they both bolted up the same. The only thing I saw that might be the reason was that one slips on the pipe a bit further than the other. I don't really care too much though. I mean you really don't notice unless you have a view like that anyway.

To answer on the price and where......I got it on..........surprise, surprise, EBAY......for $400 new in box.......I couldn't pass it up for that kind of deal.

And lastly, to answer a few more questions back....I wouldn't personally install a pcIII until after, and get it dynoed and have a custom map made. There is no way to program the pcIII really accurately before installing the exhaust. You could get close. But seeing as there are no IXIL maps for 05-06 600rr's and you probably would be allot further from good than it's worth. I am now working on getting a power commander and having it dynoed and mapped. But that might be a month or so away....gotta save the $$$$$$

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Different... Looks pretty big, I like the looks of the D&D much better.

Jason

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's just different. Can't expect many people to like it since everyone does pretty much the same as the other. I like to be a little unique and I know I definately struck it hard with this. Mainly bought it for the duals and it was nice and chrome. I bet you won't see another like it. Not a newer model anyway. Plus, if I built it like most people on here like them, then I'd be spending way to much for the same look as the next guy. Oh well. I never was one to go with the crowd......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the point...it only took one cut and one weld.....nothing else.....but who is gonna actually try unless they want to, and who knew it would really work anyway. Noone on here did apparently....i posted the question about 2 weeks ago and it was like asking directions from a mute with no arms......

This can help anyone who wants to put exhaust on because so many people sell teh 03-04 exhaust really cheap....makes for a budget exhaust with the same performance and the actual 05-06 fit exhaust....not too hard to figure out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts