Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Was just wondering if anyone knew if I should be putting in 87 or 91 into my gas tank for my 2003 600RR. I'm currently using 91 and wonder if I am wasting my money.

Under the passenger seat, there is a section that says 91 RON. I heard that RON is not the US octane rating. But can't find confirmation. And don't have an owners manual to verify.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Disregard if you read this a minute ago..

91RON is 87 Octane however while doing research for Ethanol gas Ive come to realize that alot of these stations have honest to god Shat gas. E85 in some stations were barely mid 70s and I have read (ill look for it) where some 87 is barely 85..

your only saving .30 cents a tank by taking that chance of not getting shat gas. I have a 30 gallon in my truck so .25 cents a gallon is huge for me but I would stay 91 especially if you live in the high RPM range...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run 87 all the time on my 03... I notice no difference between octane ratings. These engines were designed to run on cheap gas and have low compression and conservative ignition timing. The newer models however have higher compression and more aggressive timing that calls for higher octane.

The only benefit you will reap from using higher octane on a stock 03 is the slightly better additive package in the more expensive fuel which will keep your valves and injectors cleaner in the long run but its not enough to warrant the extra price IMHO.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have you ever used 87? Did you notice a difference?

I used 87 when I first started riding, I only switched to 91 as an insurance policy because it really doesn't cost much more when you're only spending $15 to fill up on 91. As for a difference, I really couldn't tell you, it their is a difference it was gradual and not notible at first, if at all.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I'm currently using 91 and wonder if I am wasting my money.
Yes.

Any modern engine must be tuned to use more/different octane. Higher octane grade fuels DO NOT add performance and DO NOT contain any other benefits (in some cases they contain extra detergent, but you can get this benefit by using fuel system cleaner twice a year). There is some evidence that prolonged use of too high octane fuel can have negative consequences to the engine since the fuel resists detonation at a point where the engine assumes it will be.

Use 87.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts