Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently changed my oil and filled my bike with gas. It then wouldnt start. Before it died completely it would bogg out and die. The fuel pump kicks on when you turn the kill switch on the voltage on the battery is fine. I siphoned the new tank of gas out and put in fresh gas. It seems like the bike is not getting any gas. I dont have a manual and dont want to get charged 55 dollars an hour to get it worked on. Please give me some suggestions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
On occasion (twice) my bike would not start. Found that if i gave it gas or held the throttle wide open when starting got it started.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Check for spark. Pull a plug and lay it agains the block and watch for spark. I hear this sucks on the RR, maybe try to get an timing light hooked up if you have the room. Engine only needs Fuel, Air and Spark. If the pump is running, you more than likely have fuel.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Do you have a Power Commander. There have been a lot of problems with them messing up and causing bikes to stall out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full throtle starts will not work. I just bought the bike and am not to familiar with them. I wouldnt even know if I had a power commander or not. What would I be looking for. The bike did run previously until I changed the oil and filled it up with gas.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Is the bike new or used? If you had a power commander, you would know as you would have installed it. You would be looking for a black box that says power commander. Probably under the passenger seat, in the trunk. Give us some more details as to what it is currently doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike was bought used. I rode the bike only a few times. Never had any problems. I changed the oil and filled it with gas. Started it the next morning and it started but it died after a few seconds. It bogged out the next time and now it wont start at all. It is cranking but it will not turn over.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
HMMMM... How much oil did you put in it? Is it possible you put in too much? Should have taken around 3 quarts. I seem to remember a thread where someone put too much in , and it did't run well at all. How long was it from the last ride to the oil change? If it was a long time, maybe you did not get all the bad gas out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I didnt get all the bad gas out. I siphoned it and is impossible to get it all out. I put 3 .1 quarts of oil in it. I rode the bike changed the oil and filled it with gas all in the same day. the next day is when it wouldnt start/start then die then not start at all. Then I siphoned the gas out and put new in. Bike still wont start.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
jsmothers said:
Bike was bought used. I rode the bike only a few times. Never had any problems. I changed the oil and filled it with gas. Started it the next morning and it started but it died after a few seconds. It bogged out the next time and now it wont start at all. It is cranking but it will not turn over.
I wonder if some water got in the gas??

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
2 questions and please do not misunderstand me over looking these 2 issues will cause problems 1. is the kill switch in the off position ?
2. is the bike in neutral ? if the bike still does not start check the fuel pump relay keep us posted with the results and one more question what part of the great usa you are from

·
Registered
606 Posts
i had the same problem...in same cases (not all) bikes have a bad batteries. the old owner probably let it sit the whole winter without charging it. You probably picked up the bike and rode it and drained what ever battery power that was left in it. Even though there is enough power to turn on the lights and pump feul to the motor but not enough to turn the motor over. What happen to me is I picked up my bike brand new May 2003, rode the bike all summer, winter came and I started it once or twice a week to keep the battery going and then one day it just wouldn't start. I changed the oil put in new gas, battery polarity was good, took it in to the dealers and they figured it was the battery. They removed the battery drain the battery power and then recharged for a few days and then it started like it was brand new. The dealer did not charge a thing so try that route see if the it the problem. Fix the cheaper problems first before you blow your money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im from Missouri. Where would I find the fuel pump relay? I dont have a manual. I will check the battery and see if that is the problem. Thanks

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
the old owner probably let it sit the whole winter without charging it. You probably picked up the bike and rode it and drained what ever battery power that was left in it. Even though there is enough power to turn on the lights and pump feul to the motor but not enough to turn the motor over.
That was going to be my next suggestion. The battery is very small (capacity wise) compared to most car batteries. It does not take much at all to drain the battery enough to cause problems. I suggest you try charging the battery fully and try again. Let us know what happens. We'll get it figured out. :D

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
While your charging the battery, check your wiring harness too. My cousin had the same problem, ran one day, and wouldn't the next. A mouse climbed into his bsttery compartment of his ZX-6rr, and chewed the harness to bits. Never hurts to check, but definately charge the bat, check kill switch, put in neutral, kick stand up, pull the clutch in.... no room for error. let us know what you find.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same problem with my bike. You can view the thread. Your plugs are fouled!

Here is the thread:
http://www.600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4314&highlight=

Get your toolkit out and use the spark plug wrench to remove one of the plugs.

Smell the plug and visually inspect it. I'm 99% sure this is your problem.

If the pump energizes then that means the key is on, the kill switch is on, and
you tilt/lean/bank angle sensor is working and connected.

Here is a thread describing the radiator removal. Don't forget to remove the bodywork
also because the thread does not mention that.

·
Registered
647 Posts
dexter said:
Here is a thread describing the radiator removal. Don't forget to remove the bodywork
also because the thread does not mention that.
Do you seriousley have to remove the radiator to get to the sparkplugs. Thats some crazy BS if this is true.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree 100% with Dexster. It is your spark plugs the same thing happened to me about two months ago. you have to remove a lot of things. I got frustrated with it and had my dealer com get. $231 later they pulled the plugs and changed for new now its starts with no problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts